Is it worth it to remark my AQA English Literature?

Watch
Jonnyss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got 176 UMS in my english lit gcse, which is 4 ums off an A*. Now I wanted anyones advice on whether to remark unit 1 or unit 2.

In unit 1 I got 51/68 which is 72/80 UMS.
In unit 2 I got 35/54 which is 60/70 UMS.

Either one of them need to increase by 4 marks to increase by 4 UMS. Also they both have room to decrease by 16 marks and still remain on an A grade overall.

Do you think I should remark unit 2 because there's more raw marks available for me to attain than unit 1. Furthermore if it were to get remarked lower, I doubt it would become anything lower than 18/54 which would bring my grade down to a B. So remarking unit 2 seems less riskier. Although, I have to say that I plagiarised a lot of ideas from Mr Bruff by memorising the essay off his prediction that you could buy from him.

Any advice plz?
Jonnyss
Rep:
?
Bump!
Sacred Ground
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jonnyss)
Bump!
If you feel you need to remark it for peace of mind, go for unit 2. I personally wouldn't remark any of them because I'm pretty sure an A grade would suffice, even if you're considering doing it at A level. Well done on the A grade! I only got 173
Jonnyss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sacred Ground)
If you feel you need to remark it for peace of mind, go for unit 2. I personally wouldn't remark any of them because I'm pretty sure an A grade would suffice, even if you're considering doing it at A level. Well done on the A grade! I only got 173
You should be happy with your 173 ums cuz it's just as good as mine.

I'm not taking english at a level, but I just want an A* because I'm gonna apply to medicine and having as much A*s as possible is better.
Sacred Ground
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should be happy with your 173 ums cuz it's just as good as mine.

I'm not taking english at a level, but I just want an A* because I'm gonna apply to medicine and having as much A*s as possible is better.
If you do for the remark, best of luck! Sadly it's unlikely it'll go up by 4 marks though I hope it does. What are you studying at A level?
Jonnyss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sacred Ground)
If you do for the remark, best of luck! Sadly it's unlikely it'll go up by 4 marks though I hope it does. What are you studying at A level?
Maths, bio, chem and computing wbu?
Sacred Ground
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maths, bio, chem and computing wbu?
The hard subjects then! Geography, biology and psychology :P
SkateItOff
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I know you've probably decided by now whether to remark, but I'll tell you my story anyway. I was in the same boat as you on results day, also 176 UMS points. I was disappointed because I'd been working at A* level all year round, yet both my papers were marked as As. I had 10 other A*s and 1 A^ in aqa further maths and this remark would complete my set of A*s. I too am trying to get in to study medicine at uni, and I wanted my chances to be as high as possible, though I'm not studying English lit at A level.

My teacher said there had been some sort of an issue with unit 1, so I should get that one remarked. She too though my scores were low in comparison to my previous marks.

So anyway, I got my remark back to find that not only did I get the 4 UMS points I needed, but I got full marks for the paper I sent to be remarked - an increase of 13 UMS or I think 14 raw marks!! I now have 189 UMS - a solid A*.

So my point is it is entirely possible to go up. English is subjective and they had a problem this year. However, I know of at least 4 people at my school who were also quite close to th A* but their mark stayed the same. My friend got unit 1 remarked and is now getting unit 2 because her remark left her 1 UMS short of an A*. You could get your other one remarked too if need be after you get the first remark.

Good luck, hope you have a similar success story to tell
Jonnyss
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SkateItOff)
Hey I know you've probably decided by now whether to remark, but I'll tell you my story anyway. I was in the same boat as you on results day, also 176 UMS points. I was disappointed because I'd been working at A* level all year round, yet both my papers were marked as As. I had 10 other A*s and 1 A^ in aqa further maths and this remark would complete my set of A*s. I too am trying to get in to study medicine at uni, and I wanted my chances to be as high as possible, though I'm not studying English lit at A level.

My teacher said there had been some sort of an issue with unit 1, so I should get that one remarked. She too though my scores were low in comparison to my previous marks.

So anyway, I got my remark back to find that not only did I get the 4 UMS points I needed, but I got full marks for the paper I sent to be remarked - an increase of 13 UMS or I think 14 raw marks!! I now have 189 UMS - a solid A*.

So my point is it is entirely possible to go up. English is subjective and they had a problem this year. However, I know of at least 4 people at my school who were also quite close to th A* but their mark stayed the same. My friend got unit 1 remarked and is now getting unit 2 because her remark left her 1 UMS short of an A*. You could get your other one remarked too if need be after you get the first remark.

Good luck, hope you have a similar success story to tell
Damn, 11 A*s now!
Can I ask what you're taking for A-level and where ur planning on applying?
SceneKid17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
tbh i dont know coz i got mine remarked i was 2 marks of an A (got a B) but it didnt go up not even by one mark and AQA just took the money so it was a waste tbh but you never know yours might go up
MsTyrell
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't understand why on earth people get their GCSEs remarked. You will absolutely not care about it a year from now!
CharlieeB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honestly, most colleges/sixth forms won't care about English lit.
If you have a B in English language that is really all they care about, including employers.
Even if you are considering studying English at A level, they will never ask for anything more than an A and you clearly have the capability. Don't risk losing that A grade as most remarked papers get marked down, not up :L

*from my experience anyway, in my school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed