Turn on thread page Beta

Serious poll: TVU or Cambridge watch

ReputationRep:
    What uni gives u the best chance of getting employed out of Thames Valley Uni (excellent at Media) or Cambridge uni?

P.S This is not a joke/scarastic.

Just see the results of the poll

ReputationRep:
    i would say a degree from cambridge would stand you in much better stead than a degree from TVU...even if TVU is well respected for your course...

However, just go where you think you would be happiest for 3-4 years and where you like the best...this way you are more likely to get a better degree....

does cambridge do a media course or would you be doing english??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    does cambridge do a media course or would you be doing english??
    Cambridge does not do Media - if you wanted to go into journalism you'd have to do English (which is probably a safer bet for employment anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Cambridge does not do Media - if you wanted to go into journalism you'd have to do English (which is probably a safer bet for employment anyway)
    that's why i was wondering....
    an english degree from cambridge would be a much better option than a media degree from TVU i would imagine....and it gives you something to fall back on if you want to change your career direction later on....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    that's why i was wondering....
    an english degree from cambridge would be a much better option than a media degree from TVU i would imagine....and it gives you something to fall back on if you want to change your career direction later on....
    Yep - plus it would be blindingly obvious to any employer which would be more intelligent and have a better work ethic (in general), no matter how good the media department is.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a the grades for Cambridge then you would have to be simply stark raving mad to go to TVU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidBrent)
    What uni gives u the best chance of getting employed out of Thames Valley Uni (excellent at Media) or Cambridge uni?

A degree can only go so far, particularly in the media industry.

ReputationRep:
    Patently Cambridge! You don't actually need a degree in media to work in media do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Patently Cambridge! You don't actually need a degree in media to work in media do you?
    No but you don't need a degree to be a manager either but it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudnet)
    No but you don't need a degree to be a manager either but it helps.
    I wans't saying he didn't need a degree, i was saying he didn't need a degree in media.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm id say TVU coz cambridge is aparently boring...no offense 2 cambridge students so dnt post bak with insults! jus sayin wot i think!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    hmmmm id say TVU coz cambridge is aparently boring...no offense 2 cambridge students so dnt post bak with insults! jus sayin wot i think!
    xxx
    Apparently according to whom?

ReputationRep:
    xxx
    Well I'm certainly not bored here - the academic work is stimulating, the people are interesting and there are many many different clubs and socities, not mentioning formal halls and may balls! I personally find that I make much better use of my free time and end up doing more worthwhile things here because it's so easy to and you really do need to go crazy every now and then or you literally go crazy!
    Cambridge all the way.

ReputationRep:
    I think Cambridge is as it's the best university in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    cambridge without a doubt... how comes this poll let me vote both tvu and cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    xxx
    With that kind of writing skills you would find Cambridge Community College boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidBrent)

Personally, I would say that TVU is far superior - to the extent that I believe the very comparison is absurd. Cambridge is indeed boring, although there are people for whom it does not appear so, but that's only because they're boring people

ReputationRep:
    depends what you want to do. if you want to go into the more technical side then TVU, if u want to be in front of the camera, then cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudnet)
    With that kind of writing skills you would find Cambridge Community College boring.
    lol....i sed dnt make wise replies...i was just stating my opinion.....if ur trying 2 make my opinion of cambridge students better ur not doing a very gd job!
    whats wrong with abbreviation?! Do cambridge students not abbreviate!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Apparently according to whom?
    according to a close friend of the family who was once a party girl but is now a social reject

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.