The Student Room Group

HELP ! 5th uni course for medicine.

Hello,

I am applying to study medicine in 2015.
For medicine you are only allowed to apply for 4 universities, which leaves me with a 5Th option.
My ultimate goal is to do medicine, so does anyone have any advice on what course I can do before if I don't get in.
I've heard you can do a year in one course then transfer, what are the best courses for that ? And is that the best option ?
Then finally It would doing a whole degree then reapplying as a post grad student, again what would the best degree for that ?
And answer would be great, and say I get the grades but no medicine places should I take a gap year and reapply or just do another course and hope to get in with a transfer ?

Thank you.
Any science degree it gives you the most access to GEM courses as some unis only take science grads. Biomedical sciences fits the bill for sure.

Biomedical sciences in some unis will allow the top few students in the year to transfer to the medicine program.
Reply 2
Ok, thank you :smile:
Agreed with the above poster, most people take Biomedical sciences, if your intention is on progressing to Medicine. However, if it isn't, a lot of people also do a course such as Pharmacy.
Reply 4
Original post by Jorugby
Hello,

I am applying to study medicine in 2015.
For medicine you are only allowed to apply for 4 universities, which leaves me with a 5Th option.
My ultimate goal is to do medicine, so does anyone have any advice on what course I can do before if I don't get in.
I've heard you can do a year in one course then transfer, what are the best courses for that ? And is that the best option ?
Then finally It would doing a whole degree then reapplying as a post grad student, again what would the best degree for that ?
And answer would be great, and say I get the grades but no medicine places should I take a gap year and reapply or just do another course and hope to get in with a transfer ?

Thank you.

Depending on why it seemed you didn't get any offers the first time round if that happens (simply missing admissions test cutoffs, not having enough work experience, failing to apply strategically [WHICH SHOULD NOT HAPPEN IF YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH :wink:], messing up at the interview stage) it is almost always worth reapplying in a gap year if you get good grades at A2.

If you don't get the grades to apply then it is a very good idea to do a degree which you will be happy with and which will get you into a profession you will enjoy if you don't end up having the opportunity to do Graduate Entry Medicine.
Reply 5
Ok, thank you all very much for the advice and information :smile:
It has been very useful !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending