anxiety problems-first day of work

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Before I start thank u to whoever is reading this.

Tomorrows my first day of work and I am extremely anxious and nervous to the point where im feeling dizzy and im sweting and my mind is racing.
I have suffered from anxiety for a long time, it started from when I was bullied by a teacher when I was in year 8. Recently it has gotten very bad to the point where I had to be admitted into the hospital twice ans had to stay there for 4 hours.

Only my family and my best friend know about my anxiety, everyone else thinks im the most confident person ever when im really not- I just push myself and if im freaking out inside ill still somehow manage to laugh and carry on. I have always gone to the toilets or locked myself in my room if I feel like im going to have a bad panic attack that I cant cover up because I find it so embarassing.

But tomorrow when I start work im scared ill screw sth up like at the till especially or not be able to do sth simple and im really really afraid of messing up.

I probably sound pathetic but is there anyone who has a similar problem? What do u do to calm yourself down?
O.Ozz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was in this similar situation..This Monday i had a new job in which it i had to do the training day. by the next day, it was the real work but by Wednesday i quit. I quit because i never spoke to anyone, people saw me too quiet, one of my team leader indirectly called me a tramp by the way i dressed to work and i've been in this situation over and over again. I have social anxiety and depression if it helps hence the reason i ****ed off.

I've actually not answered your question.. im so sorry but i would probably just go for thie first day and if you dont like it... quit.
KirstBarlow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had anxiety when starting both the two jobs I've had - I've got GAD so I can understand here you're coming from to an extent - never been hospitalised. It's natural to be worried so don't beat yourself up over it. I've now been employed (it's a part time job as I'm 18 and off Uni) for a year and a half at my work and I now love it there. I love the people I work with and the job itself, as it's retail, is easy.
The important thing to remember is the nothing is temporary. In a few shifts or days your anxiety can go right down and you may end up really enjoying everything about your job.

If it doesn't improve, don't be scared to reach out and get help, that's the only way it will improve (if it doesn't on it's own).

I hope it all goes okay and something else that helps me through bad days is to remember to try and enjoy it, because it's happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
(Original post by O.Ozz)
I was in this similar situation..This Monday i had a new job in which it i had to do the training day. by the next day, it was the real work but by Wednesday i quit. I quit because i never spoke to anyone, people saw me too quiet, one of my team leader indirectly called me a tramp by the way i dressed to work and i've been in this situation over and over again. I have social anxiety and depression if it helps hence the reason i ****ed off.

I've actually not answered your question.. im so sorry but i would probably just go for thie first day and if you dont like it... quit.
Heyaa thank u so much for replying I went today and it wasnt that bad at all!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KirstBarlow)
I had anxiety when starting both the two jobs I've had - I've got GAD so I can understand here you're coming from to an extent - never been hospitalised. It's natural to be worried so don't beat yourself up over it. I've now been employed (it's a part time job as I'm 18 and off Uni) for a year and a half at my work and I now love it there. I love the people I work with and the job itself, as it's retail, is easy.
The important thing to remember is the nothing is temporary. In a few shifts or days your anxiety can go right down and you may end up really enjoying everything about your job.

If it doesn't improve, don't be scared to reach out and get help, that's the only way it will improve (if it doesn't on it's own).

I hope it all goes okay and something else that helps me through bad days is to remember to try and enjoy it, because it's happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank u so much for taking the tjme to reply im so glad u enjoy where u work now I went in today and it wasnt as bad as I thought!!
KirstBarlow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank u so much for taking the tjme to reply im so glad u enjoy where u work now I went in today and it wasnt as bad as I thought!!
I'm really glad to hear that - I hope it all turns out great for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.07%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.11%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.82%

Watched Threads