The Student Room Group

How are you going to store your food? do people HAVE to share?

how can you store your food and how would you ?

I will be staying in halls
and we have to bring our own kitchen stuff

When I cook food how should i store left overs in the fridge/ freezer ?

what size containers should i use?
I don't want anyone complaining that it is taking up space so how much fridge freezer space are we allowed?

Also i will be buying milk and storing it in the fridge and I won't be sharing it with anyone, along with butter and eVERYTHing i own.

Do people help themselves to your stuff even if it looks universal like butter milk etc?

That will piss me off:angry:

Scroll to see replies

buy your own mini fridge and put it in your room and store your milk there
Original post by Alumna

I don't want anyone complaining that it is taking up space so how much fridge freezer space are we allowed?

Also i will be buying milk and storing it in the fridge and I won't be sharing it with anyone, along with butter and eVERYTHing i own.

Do people help themselves to your stuff even if it looks universal like butter milk etc?

Hiya, I'm starting September this year and have read many horror stories about people stealing food but ultimately it really depends on the housemates you have.

Generally, you get one shelf in the fridge and one box in the freezer. To be honest, you're not really going to know if someone uses your milk because people generally would take milk if they don't have their own to add to tea and such, I think they'd ask if they were using a lot like for cereal so it may be something you're just gonna have to get used to but if you have nice housemates they'll generally ask.

For me, whenever I have like bottled drinks and snacks like biscuits and such I will keep them in my room, along with my utensils and cutlery which I will keep in a box in my room so others don't use them.

The only thing I will be quite upset about is if someone steals my freezer food like chicken dippers and such without asking or if I have left over pizza or something and they eat it but there is only 8 people max in my flat so I would hopefully be able to find out but minor things like milk and butter I've accepted people may use a bit if they don't have their own but I still prefer them to ask. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by randy_ortan
buy your own mini fridge and put it in your room and store your milk there

that's inconvenient
there is a fridge in kitchen
Reply 4
Original post by Wonderer1
Hiya, I'm starting September this year and have read many horror stories about people stealing food but ultimately it really depends on the housemates you have.

Generally, you get one shelf in the fridge and one box in the freezer. To be honest, you're not really going to know if someone uses your milk because people generally would take milk if they don't have their own to add to tea and such, I think they'd ask if they were using a lot like for cereal so it may be something you're just gonna have to get used to but if you have nice housemates they'll generally ask.

For me, whenever I have like bottled drinks and snacks like biscuits and such I will keep them in my room, along with my utensils and cutlery which I will keep in a box in my room so others don't use them.

The only thing I will be quite upset about is if someone steals my freezer food like chicken dippers and such without asking or if I have left over pizza or something and they eat it but there is only 8 people max in my flat so I would hopefully be able to find out but minor things like milk and butter I've accepted people may use a bit if they don't have their own but I still prefer them to ask. :smile:

I will be living with 6 too
But that is very bad and disrespectful if they use your stuff without asking you. I cannot believe people actually think that is ok. Some people are fine and give permission for people to use their milk, my stuff will stand out and i will probablys put sticker on most of mine.

I am planning on cooking nice meals for myself and putting it in the fridge and freezer so it spans over 3 days.

maybe i will stored my milk or butter or whatever people like to nick in 'my section'

HOPEFULLY it works like that
Reply 5
Original post by Alumna
that's inconvenient
there is a fridge in kitchen

It's not really I big thing. Some unis give you mini fridges in your rooms. I know people that have fridges, kettles etc.
You can give it a go the first few weeks and if you have problems buy a mini fridge.
No point worrying about things before they become an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alumna
I will be living with 6 too
But that is very bad and disrespectful if they use your stuff without asking you. I cannot believe people actually think that is ok. Some people are fine and give permission for people to use their milk, my stuff will stand out and i will probablys put sticker on most of mine.

I am planning on cooking nice meals for myself and putting it in the fridge and freezer so it spans over 3 days.

maybe i will stored my milk or butter or whatever people like to nick in 'my section'

HOPEFULLY it works like that

Yeah, I will be upset if people take my stuff without asking because it isn't that hard to ask. I think what you can also do is put your milk and butter at the back on your shelf so it isn't out of sight and so people will not use it and if they do use it they would most likely not put it back in the same spot so you'll be able to tell if someone used it or not.

I also plan on cooking nice meals too which is why it will bother me if people decide to help themselves too, especially since I know some people will be surviving on take-aways and such. I'm just hoping my housemates are nice. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Alumna

After reading few of your other posts I really hope I don't get anyone like you. Calm down do you not want to get along with anyone? If so just have a note stuck to your forehead saying "leave me alone" I'm sure that'll work

Edit; I agree people touching things will be annoying but don't get so angry about it. If they took a slice you can't keep it against them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Alumna

You'll need to learn how to share, I'm afraid :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Trustno1
After reading few of your other posts I really hope I don't get anyone like you. Calm down do you not want to get along with anyone? If so just have a note stuck to your forehead saying "leave me alone" I'm sure that'll work

Edit; I agree people touching things will be annoying but don't get so angry about it. If they took a slice you can't keep it against them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here, let me make this even better for you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?do=finduser&u=1474147&starteronly=1
Reply 10
Original post by Wonderer1
Yeah, I will be upset if people take my stuff without asking because it isn't that hard to ask. I think what you can also do is put your milk and butter at the back on your shelf so it isn't out of sight and so people will not use it and if they do use it they would most likely not put it back in the same spot so you'll be able to tell if someone used it or not.

I also plan on cooking nice meals too which is why it will bother me if people decide to help themselves too, especially since I know some people will be surviving on take-aways and such. I'm just hoping my housemates are nice. :smile:

Original post by Trustno1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Seize
You'll need to learn how to share, I'm afraid :smile:

I have budget and would appreciate if my housemates are more independent and considerate
Ah the sticker student ...the one person in the flat more annoying than the food thief.

Someone is likely going to pinch a bit of butter or milk, most kitchens have lockable cupboards to store sundries so keep those locked away if you are seriously concerned. Don't start stickering you stuff because some dick head like me will think to themselves, "screw you buddy I'm spitting in your milk" just because.

The learning doesn't stop in the lecture hall, you will either grow stronger from your time at uni ...or run back home within a month, good luck.
Reply 12
Original post by bubadeeboop
Ah the sticker student ...the one person in the flat more annoying than the food thief.

Someone is likely going to pinch a bit of butter or milk, most kitchens have lockable cupboards to store sundries so keep those locked away if you are seriously concerned. Don't start stickering you stuff because some dick head like me will think to themselves, "screw you buddy I'm spitting in your milk" just because.

The learning doesn't stop in the lecture hall, you will either grow stronger from your time at uni ...or run back home within a month, good luck.

No Idiot.

I dont mind anyone wanting to use 'a pinch' of my stuff, but life doesn't work like that.

1 person using my stuff would equal 6 people. And all that domino effect.
There is no such thing as 'oops can I use a bit today, I promise i wont ever ask again'

If you are going uni you should be independent and fend for yourself, if not, do not put other people in jeopardy.

I have calculated everything I need or buy depending on how much money I have.

if I wasn't so skint then I probably wouldn't be this concerned but even then it is just wrong.
Original post by Alumna
No Idiot.

quiet fool

Original post by Alumna

I dont mind anyone wanting to use 'a pinch' of my stuff, but life doesn't work like that.

1 person using my stuff would equal 6 people. And all that domino effect.
There is no such thing as 'oops can I use a bit today, I promise i wont ever ask again'

If someone abuses the trust you pull them up over it, its the real world now, some uni's have hall assistants (other students who mediate floor disputes and log problems etc etc) they will tell you the exact same thing, you're a big boy/girl you sort it out like an adult.

Original post by Alumna

If you are going uni you should be independent and fend for yourself, if not, do not put other people in jeopardy.

I actually agree with you, however stickering your milk and butter and displaying paranoia of small bits going missing just alienates you from your floor, then people like me do it more to spite you ... unfortunatly we exist in the world, we are known as trolls, some people do it over the internet, I prefer to do it in real life. :dontknow: However I am just letting you know what MIGHT happen, you need to develop the tools to handle these situations, that is also a part of being independent.

Original post by Alumna

I have calculated everything I need or buy depending on how much money I have.

if I wasn't so skint then I probably wouldn't be this concerned but even then it is just wrong.

Yes I completly understand your situation, and would suggest the majority of people agree with principle, the problem comes when the irresponsible people have spent all their money and start getting desperate, suddenly someone elses bread and butter, the odd tea bag and a splash of milk, "hey its not so bad" they think to themselves. Lock your stuff away!

(edited 9 years ago)
:facepalm:the idea of buying a mini fridge, that involves spending money, something a lot of students don't have nor want to spend a lot of. Ridiculous suggestion.
Reply 15
I've just finished my first year of uni and luckily u had really great flat mates and we all got along just fine. We didn't mind sharing stuff/ using other people's stuff as long as it was cleaned and put away.

You really shouldn't be that paranoid about people using tiny bits of your stuff because generally over the year it will equal itself out. For example, they might use a little of your mill but then you may use a little bit of their butter. I'm not saying to take the mick but it's best if you try and come to an agreement with your flat mates that it's tit for tat basically without taking it too far, that's the best way.

Another thing we had though was a communal food shelf so if there was something you didn't mind sharing you put it on that shelf and then anyone could have it. Also, cooking meals together generally decreases cost and then builds good relationships with people so they won't then streal your stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alumna

Now that is a bit odd to me we had communal milk the rule was if you finish it you replace it. And that seemed to work very well as a back up (as I have been known to drink 5 or 6 cups of tea a day ) I had dried milk too.
Original post by Ruffiio
:facepalm:the idea of buying a mini fridge, that involves spending money, something a lot of students don't have nor want to spend a lot of. Ridiculous suggestion.

A mini fridge costs just £19.99 ...I've seen students who claim to have "almost no money what so ever" spend more than that on a takeaway. It is a perfectly sensible suggestion, though it would probably be cheaper to just over look a little bit of milk going astray.

Unless you sticker/label/draw lines on your milk, then it will be far cheaper to buy a mini fridge,

because your milks going to have spit in it every morning.
Reply 18
Original post by New- Emperor
Now that is a bit odd to me we had communal milk the rule was if you finish it you replace it. And that seemed to work very well as a back up (as I have been known to drink 5 or 6 cups of tea a day ) I had dried milk too.

REALLY? This happened in halls?

I don't use much milk only
Once every blue moon
Original post by Alumna

Hi

It looks like you are going to struggle a little with the attitudes of others

You will probably have a lockable cupboard for most stuff - buy a £5 padlock from B&Q or similar

If you put leftovers in a tub- Lock'n'lock type tubs - people will usually leave alone - you could put your butter in a tub too

Milk will be seen as open house - even if people think they will be good - you are running late - you want a coffee - there is some milk - it gets used - This is life :frown:

That does not even account for the people who simply will not buy their own and will just use yours

Milk kitties work with some groups - everyone puts £5 in and one person buys until the money runs out - you could suggest this but if you do not use much you may feel you are paying more than your share

Living in shared accommodation with strangers is not easy so you may have to adapt a little

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending