Turn on thread page Beta

Public Interest / Right to Privacy watch

ReputationRep:
    No doubt we recognize what this has to do with in light of CBS's decision to broadcast photo's from the Diana crash, as she was dying.

Were these photos in the public interest, or does it blatently go too far invading privacy ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any public interest into seeing Diana dying.
    It is simply awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    No doubt we recognize what this has to do with in light of CBS's decision to broadcast photo's from the Diana crash, as she was dying.

Were these photos in the public interest, or does it blatently go too far invading privacy ?
    I hate to say it, but as there was nothing that could be done to further help her, I do believe that people who supported her had something of a right to know. Still disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's blatantly an unwarranted invasion of privacy. We know how she died - releasing the photos does nothing to enhance our understanding. I'm not sure that the death of a former member of the monarchy is really in the public interest anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that anyone has a right to know anything about her. Surely pictures are going way to far.

ReputationRep:
    Dying is a very personal and intimate thing and I don't think broadcasting it to 10000s of people is necessary or respectful. Why do they need to see it?

ReputationRep:
    No sane person can claim that seeing Princess Dianna actually die is in the public interest. It's enough for the public to know that she died without seeing her in the act of dying.

ReputationRep:
    No, they weren't right to publish the photos, but did you see the photos in British newspapers of that terrible car-bomb attack? The papers in the UK saw no reason why pictures of dying children shouldn't be shown, but they were all up in arms about the Diana photos.

In my view, pictures of people dying should never be shown unless there is a specific need for the public to see them. I can't imagine any case where I would need to see someone dying.

Everyone seems to be mortified about the damage this is doing to William and Harry, and they're absolutely right, but this type of picture is seen every day and the feelings of victims' families are rarely considered. The same newspapers that condemned CBS yesterday ran pictures of Gloria Hunniford crying at her daughter's funeral - a huge invasion of privacy at the very time it's least welcome.

IMO, the Royals don't deserve special treatment in these matters, so it should be all or nothing - you publish pictures of dying people, or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    No, they weren't right to publish the photos, but did you see the photos in British newspapers of that terrible car-bomb attack? The papers in the UK saw no reason why pictures of dying children shouldn't be shown, but they were all up in arms about the Diana photos.

In my view, pictures of people dying should never be shown unless there is a specific need for the public to see them. I can't imagine any case where I would need to see someone dying.

Everyone seems to be mortified about the damage this is doing to William and Harry, and they're absolutely right, but this type of picture is seen every day and the feelings of victims' families are rarely considered. The same newspapers that condemned CBS yesterday ran pictures of Gloria Hunniford crying at her daughter's funeral - a huge invasion of privacy at the very time it's least welcome.

IMO, the Royals don't deserve special treatment in these matters, so it should be all or nothing - you publish pictures of dying people, or you don't.
    Which car bomb attack?

ReputationRep:
    In my view, pictures of people dying should never be shown unless there is a specific need for the public to see them. I can't imagine any case where I would need to see someone dying...the feelings of victims' families are rarely considered.
    I agree.
    you publish pictures of dying people, or you don't.
    No, you just don't publish pictures of people dying.

ReputationRep:
    Simple Answer.

Who Cares???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Simple Answer.

Who Cares???
    I think you might care a bit if pictures of a member of your family dying were broadcast for 10000s to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Which car bomb attack?
    The one (well, more than one) in Basra which involved two minibuses full of children. I think around 70 people died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I think you might care a bit if pictures of a member of your family dying were broadcast for 10000s to see.
    Yer, but it happens every day. You look in any newspaper on any given day, you will find a picture of someone diein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I agree. No, you just don't publish pictures of people dying.
    That's what I mean, but the UK newspapers have such double standards. They complain about CBS showing pictures similar to the ones they show all the time. It's just not on, and if I had my way none of them should be shown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Yer, but it happens every day. You look in any newspaper on any given day, you will find a picture of someone diein.
    ...which is wrong IMO.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I mean, but the UK newspapers have such double standards. They complain about CBS showing pictures similar to the ones they show all the time. It's just not on, and if I had my way none of them should be shown.
    I don't think you're comparing apples with apples to be honest. How can photographs of dead children killed in an atrocity yesterday be compared to photo's of a women actually in the process of dying as a result of a car 7 years ago?

I do agree with your sentiments. Perhaps it's not absolutely necessary to show photographs of dead kids. But I really do question your powers of comparison.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're comparing apples with apples to be honest. How can photographs of dead children killed in an atrocity yesterday be compared to photo's of a women actually in the process of dying as a result of a car 7 years ago?

I do agree with your sentiments. Perhaps it's not absolutely necessary to show photographs of dead kids. But I really do question your powers of comparison.
    The photos I saw yesterday were of children lying in the road, clearly badly injured and about to die.

The two examples are not exactly the same. I was using them to demonstrate how the news tackled two similar issues on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    The photos I saw yesterday were of children lying in the road, clearly badly injured and about to die.

The two examples are not exactly the same. I was using them to demonstrate how the news tackled two similar issues on the same day.
    Again, I agree that showing badly injured/dying kids is in pretty bad taste as was CBS' photographs.

But I don't regard the two as similar incidents. A massive car bomb isn't the same as a RTA/

ReputationRep:
    Again, I agree that showing badly injured/dying kids is in pretty bad taste as was CBS' photographs.

But I don't regard the two as similar incidents. A massive car bomb isn't the same as a RTA/
    No it's not, but the photos were of people dying. The matter of taste and decency is still the same, but if you're arguing with me because of the disagreement we had yesterday, I'll just leave it I think.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.