Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth getting?
    I've been told that no one can gain access into your room unless you allow them to come in...hence you can get away with it?
    Anyone here got one, if so how much did you pay?
    As for the License Dodgers...have you ever come close to being caught?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    Is it worth getting?
    I've been told that no one can gain access into your room unless you allow them to come in...hence you can get away with it?
    We didn't have one last year and didn't get caught, but it was more trouble than it was worth, you kept hearing rumours that they were comming round and getting letters, so you could never answer the front door. It was really annoying when I was expecting a parcel because noone would answer the door to the postman (just in case) so I kept having to go half way across the city to get it!

If you pay by direct debit its only about £10 a month, which isn't too bad

ReputationRep:
    Personally ive got one and I do know oth others who chose not to, I thought it was better to er on the side of caution. There is i think a rule that they need permission to access but if they see an ariel etc in your window then I think they can come in.

If you get a licence then you can claim back the months you are back home as your on your parents tv licence.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what kind of person you are, Im quite paranoid so in halls I ended up spending time worrying about it, so in the end just got one. Is a year of niggling worry worth £140? To some people who dont give a stuff its not worth it at all, and I think statistically you are very unlikely to get caught, in fact I have never heard of anybody getting caught, though im sure that there will plenty of you wonderful peopl out there to correct me on that generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I'd say you're pretty safe in halls - but when you share a house it's worth getting one between you (although it depends on the tenancy as to whether you can get one for the house to cover tvs in rooms that aren't shared).
    In halls technically your supposed to have one per room because the tenancy agreement applies to just the one room.

If your in a house you only need one for the whole house so long as you don't have external locks on your bedroom doors (apparently this turns it from a shared house with one tenacy agreement into a bedsit with several)

ReputationRep:
    For ppl at uni with a Tv, do u always get flatmates coming into watch??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    For ppl at uni with a Tv, do u always get flatmates coming into watch??
    Yeah it cool having loads of people coming over to your room to watch a DVD.

Having a TV at uni is not as anti-social as some believe.

ReputationRep:
    Its your own risk not having a licence, although I haven't seen the vans round my campus, a while back 2 of my flatmates who did not own licences got polite letters through the door reminding them to buy a licence pronto, as they would be fined if caught again without one. And there are constant reminders during freshers week and the first few weeks of term. I've not heard of anyone who's been fined yet, but then everyone I know has a licence.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth getting?
    If you're in halls, the uni can let the TV man in. Also, with their new hand held devices, they can pin point a signal very specifically nowerdays.

We regularly had 'raids' by the licencing bods both in Oxford and Swansea...

Get one - it's better than a £1000 plus fine!

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth getting?
    had friends in halls who were cought. Don't forget the uni has keys to your rooms and will let them in.

In my friend's case the TV people came round with a list of names and rooms. They were all in the kitchen and claimed it wasn't them. 1/2 later the caretaker came round with the TV people and a copy of photos of them (from their ID badges).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    If you're in halls, the uni can let the TV man in. Also, with their new hand held devices, they can pin point a signal very specifically nowerdays.
    There's never been a case where evidence from a "detector" has been used. Let alone used successfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    There's never been a case where evidence from a "detector" has been used. Let alone used successfully.
    It's been used as evidence to satisfy the burden of proof to gain entrance to rooms in halls/colleges via the key holder (ie the university and or college).

ReputationRep:
    I bought a TV license, but that's just because I felt uncomfortable not having one. My flatmates didn't, and they never got into any trouble.

However, I used to work at a magistrates court, and a lot of students were prosecuted for not having TV licenses, which worried me when I went to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Just get one. Why should other people have to pay and you not? It's not that expensive anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Just get one. Why should other people have to pay and you not? It's not that expensive anyway.
    Because it's a huge exploitation of students who are already broke anyway.
    Can you imagine how much money those tv License *******s get out of one university hall of residence if every student who has a tv has to pay.
    if they want to charge students then they should at least do so fairly, eg 1 tv license per corridor/ flat/ floor etc.
    Stuff them, i'm not paying.

ReputationRep:
    So the ppl in vans can detect wether or not you have a tv?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    What really annoys me is that I keep getting threatening letters off the TV Licensing authority and I don't have a TV!

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a TV with a built in VCR. Thatd be quite handy cuz you dont need a license to watch videos (or DVDs ?) and it wont distract me too much.
    Anyone else just use the TV for videos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    It's been used as evidence to satisfy the burden of proof to gain entrance to rooms in halls/colleges via the key holder (ie the university and or college).
    You'll find that legally speaking, they cannot take that evidence to the police to obtain a warrant. The only way they can get a warrant is if they can PROVE you have a TV and aeriel plugged in. The only way to do this, is to get physical access. The only way they can do this is to get a warrant. It's a circle they can never win unless a) you let them in and/or b) you do not own the property.

Obviously, point b) applies in university halls.

Otherwise, you can tell them to get off your property (they're trespassing). Also, do not tell them your name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jyuk)
    So the ppl in vans can detect wether or not you have a tv?:confused:
    They can detect whether a TV receiving circuit is in the general vicinity because it resonates at a certain frequency which they can detect. They can't really pinpoint too accurately though, contrary to popular belief.

Like I said, you're under no obligation to let them in unless they're accompanied by two police officers.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.