Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you don't own an aerial though? If that's not how it is it should be ! Why should you have to pay the BBC to play games?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    He wasn't - there was a whole thread about this somewhere. Basically over the phone TVL confirmed that he didn't need a licence, they then sent people around who claimed he did, he phoned up and they said "no problem, you're off the list", he started recieving letters about getting a licence again etc etc etc.

Complete incompetence
    I guess the lawyers rule applies here: Always get it in writing!

Sounds shoddy behaviour on their part though

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't - there was a whole thread about this somewhere. Basically over the phone TVL confirmed that he didn't need a licence, they then sent people around who claimed he did, he phoned up and they said "no problem, you're off the list", he started recieving letters about getting a licence again etc etc etc.

Complete incompetence
    Just been and tracked down his thread (although will admit I only read the first post). Unfortunately meerly unplugging the aerial (ot even not owning one) doesn't count as being unable to receive a signal. You need to get the set modified....

ReputationRep:
    As the thread goes on he consulted TVL who advised him that the advice I gave above (detuning every channel while connected to an arial then disconnecting the arial) was enough, followed by some more letters etc etc.
    Just going by the stories of cases that reach court. The only ones I'm aware of being sucessful are those where it was impossible for them to pick up any channel as the set had been modified.

From what I've read of TV licence type cases, the problem lies in that if you have a TV, you have a TV. They've partially satisified the burden of proof on their part. This then shifts the burden of proof back to you as you then have to prove you couldn't just twiddle a knob, plug in an aerial and get reception.....

It is an interesting area though - will see if my other half knows of any cases where the TVL has lost a case where by detuning every channel while connected to an arial then disconnecting the arial has been carried out. It's not his area of law, but he may know of something....

ReputationRep:
    That anti-BBC site was quite interesting to have a look at. I can't say I'm 100% in agreement with them. I do watch the BBC everyday so I wouldn't feel like I could justify not paying it by saying they show so much crap or whatever. They're supposed to show a variety of programmes to cater for different tastes - which they do. So really I don't agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Just been and tracked down his thread (although will admit I only read the first post). Unfortunately meerly unplugging the aerial (ot even not owning one) doesn't count as being unable to receive a signal. You need to get the set modified....

Just to confirm what the T.V. licencing people told me - you do not need to make any physical modifications to your set whatsoever!!! All you must do is completly detune it and makesure that it is not hooked up to recieve signals.

Basically the T.V.L.A. have one aim - to make youy pay up regardless of if you need one or not (i.e. I did not need one). Most people will believe the T.V.L.A. and start worrying at the threat of legal action etc...

Key points in dealing with the T.V.L.A.

When you buy a T.V. do not give your real address - give the address of the T.V.L.A. instead just to wind them up . This is because all retailers have to log every purchase of a T.V. with the T.V.L.A. thus meaning that they follow it up and start harrasing you to buy a licence.

NEVER answer any T.V.L.A. correspondance even if there is a threat of a fine and court action - all you are doing is helping them with their job as by answering you are confirming that someone does live there / is recieving their correspondance.

Do not give them your name, if you must tell them something make sure its a false identity. The only reason I gave them my real name is because I was 100 percent sure that I did not need a licence and I was moving out shortly after anyway! Either way I did not give my real name when they initially called.
    If they do not have your real name then they cannot prosecute you and obtaining a warrant would be difficult as they do not know who to serve it on.

In the event that they visit you tell them nothing, do not answer any questions and do not let them into the property. Under no circumstances admit to anything and do not sign any record of them interviewing you, they will probably be quite nice to you and say that its just for their records but if you sign something then it could be used against you in court and it acts as proof that they were there.

Basically in summary - if you are watching t.v. then buy a licence. If you are not watching television broadcasts then you DO NOT NEED A LICENCE even if you are using a Playstation or watching DVD's. This is regardless of what the T.V.L.A. will *try* and tell you as they recently removed a very helpful paragraph from their website detailing the above information about consoles and dvd/video players.

If you are watching T.V. and are avoiding them then good luck to you! I have never been caught in two full years of doing so but there again I have never lived in halls of residence.

ReputationRep:
    People with TVs just end up watching crap like Neighbours and Trisha - its amazing how much spare time you suddenly have to work/chat/go out when you aren't spending several hours a day staring at a TV!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    had friends in halls who were cought. Don't forget the uni has keys to your rooms and will let them in.

In my friend's case the TV people came round with a list of names and rooms. They were all in the kitchen and claimed it wasn't them. 1/2 later the caretaker came round with the TV people and a copy of photos of them (from their ID badges).
    I find that story quite amusing actually, hehe - although I guess it wouldnt be v. funny if it was me or my friends!

ReputationRep:
    As the thread goes on he consulted TVL who advised him that the advice I gave above (detuning every channel while connected to an arial then disconnecting the arial) was enough, followed by some more letters etc etc.

http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....6&postcount=46
    and then
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....2&postcount=49
    Wasn't there a guy a few years ago who worked on a cruise ship. He had a TV and vid in his cabin which was well below the waterline so impossible to recieve a signal even when in port. And the ship was only in a British port a couple of weeks a year and he still had to have a TV licence because he had equipment "capable of recieving a signal"

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.