HELP!!! Starting AS Level Maths in September

Watch
1TrueMeaning
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, im starting as level maths in september and i am extremely nervous/worried/scared about it. I got a grade A* for GCSE maths, but have heard that GCSE maths in nothing like a level maths.

I would appreciate any advice which will help me pass (achieve grade B or above) for AS maths.

Other subjects i chose are:
Computing
Economics
Sociology

Thanks
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you got an a* in gcse maths then you have nothing to worry about.
Just work hard when you start the course and you should do just fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You got the highest grade, so you're as well prepared as anyone has been. Just start trying now, and don't stop.

(One cautionary note though; if you find Sociology too easy early on and boring as a consequence, I wouldn't recommend waiting to see. I took Sociology AS and I really wish I'd swapped it for German when I first realized what a joke it was. You might really enjoy it and feel it worthwhile, but I wouldn't take chances with that one.)
tabmax22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 1TrueMeaning)
Hi, im starting as level maths in september and i am extremely nervous/worried/scared about it. I got a grade A* for GCSE maths, but have heard that GCSE maths in nothing like a level maths.

I would appreciate any advice which will help me pass (achieve grade B or above) for AS maths.

Computing
Economics
Sociology

Thanks
All the above people saying that you got an A* in gcse so it shouldn't be difficult for you, do not listen to them. I know people who got A*s in gcse maths and E in AS maths. AS maths is a big leap from GCSE maths. Personally, I don't think a GCSE maths grade reflects that you'd be good enough for AS maths, regardless of it being A*. I got an A in gcse maths and went on to get an A in AS maths. There are people who got B and C in gcse maths who got A in AS maths. GCSE grade doesn't mean anything. What I would advise you is to practice all the past papers. Be sure not to fall in the trap and think that you'll find it easy just because GCSE maths was easy.
JackVM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tabmax22)
All the above people saying that you got an A* in gcse so it shouldn't be difficult for you, do not listen to them. I know people who got A*s in gcse maths and E in AS maths. AS maths is a big leap from GCSE maths
I second this, I knew more than a few people who went from A* to D/E
Look, if you got an A* in your GCSE, you're no idiot, you can do maths. A level is just a lot more work, that's all. You want my advice on getting a good grade? Two things.
One: Before you start, brush up on your algebra. The algebra you get at A-level is like nothing you've seen at GCSE, and it's used in virtually all of A level maths. You might want to remind yourself the basics of trigonometry too.
Two: Work hard after starting, and do so throughout the year, it's a lot harder to cram for A levels than it is for GCSE, particularly in your second year.
As the other guy said, it will be difficult. A level maths is hard. A2 (if you carry on) is harder. If you do the work though, I'm sure you'll get at least a B - I've not known anyone throughout my A levels who worked sufficiently hard and got anything less than a B.

I say this from experience, I just finished my A2s and got an A in maths and a B in further maths.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All the above people saying that you got an A* in gcse so it shouldn't be difficult for you, do not listen to them. I know people who got A*s in gcse maths and E in AS maths. AS maths is a big leap from GCSE maths. Personally, I don't think a GCSE maths grade reflects that you'd be good enough for AS maths, regardless of it being A*. I got an A in gcse maths and went on to get an A in AS maths. There are people who got B and C in gcse maths who got A in AS maths. GCSE grade doesn't mean anything. What I would advise you is to practice all the past papers. Be sure not to fall in the trap and think that you'll find it easy just because GCSE maths was easy.
Nobody said it wouldn't be challenging or difficult. Nobody said it would be easy.
All A levels are a step up from GCSE
With an A* at gcse the original poster does not need to be extremely nervous/worried/scared about it, if they work hard they should be able to do fine.
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Right basically, I think the only reason people who get an A* at gcse and do badly is because they underestimate it. Everyone on here is generally right, it's way harder than GCSE. I did just finish my AS maths and got an A and got an A* at GCSE and I did have to work for that A, it's hard and you will be screwed if you think it'll be easy.
tabmax22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
Nobody said it wouldn't be challenging or difficult. Nobody said it would be easy.
All A levels are a step up from GCSE
With an A* at gcse the original poster does not need to be extremely nervous/worried/scared about it, if they work hard they should be able to do fine.
I'm aware what was being said. My point was that an A* in GCSE maths is almost close to being irrelevant to what the OP can or cannot do at AS maths. AS maths is a whole new league, so when he joins the league he will start at the bottom just like all his other counterparts who perhaps may have achieved a lower grade than A* at GCSE maths. Now this may sound counter-intuitive, because surely OP must be at a greater advantage than his counterparts who achieved lower than an A*, right? Wrong. GCSE maths requires just learning (perhaps memorising) how to carry out processes, without actually having any grasp of the content. At AS maths, the learner must grasp the content thoroughly to do well. Whether it's a C or an A* in GCSE maths, it will not significantly reflect the candidate's ability at AS maths.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm aware what was being said. My point was that an A* in GCSE maths is almost close to being irrelevant to what the OP can or cannot do at AS maths. AS maths is a whole new league, so when he joins the league he will start at the bottom just like all his other counterparts who perhaps may have achieved a lower grade than A* at GCSE maths. Now this may sound counter-intuitive, because surely OP must be at a greater advantage than his counterparts who achieved lower than an A*, right? Wrong. GCSE maths requires just learning (perhaps memorising) how to carry out processes, without actually having any grasp of the content. At AS maths, the learner must grasp the content thoroughly to do well. Whether it's a C or an A* in GCSE maths, it will not significantly reflect the candidate's ability at AS maths.
Wrong

Your personal experience and anecdotal observation of other candidates aside, teachers have masses of data that contradict your assertion that gcse grade has no impact on final A level outcome.

Indeed, some of that data has been carefully analysed and published in the past
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../DFE-RR195.pdf

Based on the above analysis of a large number of candidates, More than 70% of students with an A* at gcse should go on to achieve an A or better at A level.

That does not mean that all students with an A* achieve a great grade or that all those with a B do badly. Some people mess up, some prioritise other subjects, some people work hard to improve and a few people turn things around spectacularly. I agree with you that hard work is essential and that an assumption of success is definitely to be avoided.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 1TrueMeaning)

Computing
Economics
Sociology

Thanks
Good advice from an experienced maths teacher here
http://m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me1.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is nothing intrinsically "difficult" about A level Maths or Further Maths. There is just lots of it, nearly all of which is new to GCSE students. My advice is to start early in the summer and do the bridging material at least. Then get into the first modules at home as well. A Maths module chapter can easily be done in a couple of hours. Then it just needs practise and refreshing continually throughout the course. A whole module can be noted up with concepts understood in a week easily.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads