BeccaBurrell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I just got my GCSE results back, and although I was over the moon with them, it has struck up a question of whether I should do a level geography or chemistry. I got an a* in geography and an a in chemistry, and whilst I prefer geography, for the uni courses I may want to do chemistry is required in some cases-and the a levels I am certain of doing are history, maths and biology. At the same time, I don't want to carry on with chemistry and get a bad grade in it, so could someone offer me advice as to which one is better? The uni courses I am thinking about are: nutrition and dietetics, marine biology, law (neither are required), accounting and finance (not required) and history and politics (again neither are required).
Mel1312
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BeccaBurrell)
I just got my GCSE results back, and although I was over the moon with them, it has struck up a question of whether I should do a level geography or chemistry. I got an a* in geography and an a in chemistry, and whilst I prefer geography, for the uni courses I may want to do chemistry is required in some cases-and the a levels I am certain of doing are history, maths and biology. At the same time, I don't want to carry on with chemistry and get a bad grade in it, so could someone offer me advice as to which one is better? The uni courses I am thinking about are: nutrition and dietetics, marine biology, law (neither are required), accounting and finance (not required) and history and politics (again neither are required).
Hiya So, I don't do geography so I cannot be of much help in that field but I did do chemistry. I was also in a dilemma where I was stuck between English Literature where I got an A* or Psychology where I got an A even though I thought psychology channelled into the correct career path. So I hope I have a few pearls of wisdom,

In terms of Chemistry. Its an amazing subject, a lot of hardwork in terms of you have to understand it inside out and left to right so its soo challenging! It's a lot fun! Haha sorry for the rambling It will compliment the style of learning needed in biology and some things may help you to remember biology components which is always nice. I did bio too.

In terms of picking subjects due to GCSE grades. Don't! Go for what you feel like you need for the future and want to do and will revise for. I picked psychology with trepidation but with a lot of hardwork I got an A and do not regret it.

Any more questions, feel free to ask otherwise good luck
IC3DOutStunn4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't pick Chemistry but chose Geography but i guess it depends on which subject you like more. I guess geography is easier but there both respected subjects to be honest. AS Geography also links a lot with History in regards to industrialization and urbanization. It's a broad subject at A-level. The physical part gets kind of scientific whereas the human part is more of a social science so yeah. But overall there both good subjects.
Djent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I chose both Geography and Chemistry, as well as Biology and English language. Geography is great because the A level syllabus covers many different interesting topics, some of which overlap nicely with biology. I got an A* in Geography GCSE and at AS got a very high A, got a B in Chemistry GCSE and got a high B at Chemistry AS (slightly disappointed as I was aiming for an A) usually at AS, the grade you get is typically 1 1/2 grades lower than GCSE however with hard work you can pull it off.

I'd say go for geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chrasty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was in the exact same situation as you a year ago (I want to do zoology at uni, some require chemistry, some just another science, of which geography is considered one most of the time) I did well in chemistry at GCSE but didn't enjoy it. My advice would be that if it is important for most of the universities you'd like to apply to then do chemistry. That being said, if you don't enjoy chemistry then you might struggle for motivation at a level as it is one of the most difficult a levels. I wouldn't advise taking it if you don't enjoy it. I ended up deciding against doing chemistry and although it has meant there are a few universities I can't apply to, there are still so many good ones that it doesn't really matter. Hope this helps and well done on getting great results!
BeccaBurrell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all so much, it is something I will have to think carefully about as not doing chemistry may rule out some uni courses, but at the end of the day I do not want to fail anything at a level and would preferably get no less than A's as I am aiming for Russell group universities thank you for all your advice, it's very useful having the benefit of hindsight
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.38%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (263)
58.84%
No (151)
33.78%

Watched Threads