The Student Room Group

Outcome of final year at university?

He guys,
Was wondering if you had 10 minutes of your time to help me out?

Throughout this last year of my final year at university I have been very sick and worked long night shifts so had missed a few lectures, but I always made sure when I didn't go I'd read up the further reading guide the lecturer had provided us at the beginning of the year- so I'd always do some work regardless.
Considering I left school with 0 GCSEs and scrapped through my first years at college I was ecstatic to even be accepted into University 4 years ago.
When I started, because of what I had been through I just wanted a 3rd.. as it was a pass. So I scrapped through in my 1st and 2nd years. I had to retake ONE module in my second year as I was 2% off from passing that module. As you can imagine I was very annoyed. So I spent a whole year retaking this one module, one hour a week. I passed the following summer and was accepted into my third year.

This year I actually put all of my effort into it and was ecstatic to be getting grades of 2:2s and some 2:1s. Though I did get a 3rd for my dissertation.

However- I had failed one exam in the summer, 50% of one of my modules (modules are 20% at my uni) and I was meant to retake this exam yesterday. However I got very ill so was unable to attend. I had my urgent doctors appointment the day before my exam and I thought I'd be able to make it into university to sit this exam then put in a mitigating circumstances to let the board know i was sick and wasn't 100% fit to do the exam and I tried ect. However, I woke up feeling even worse and my exam was 930am. I tried to ring at 830am and no answer then I couldn't ring after that as I was over the toilet! (gross) So I couldn't go in to do the exam.

Yesterday afternoon I had taken as much painkillers as I could and had my friends assist me into university and helped me up stairs so I could hand in a different mitigating circumstances form to postpone the exam as I knew it had to be handed in the same day as the exam. The one I HAD planned to do before I was too sick to go in was just to let the board know of my status.

However, once filled out I saw it said on the form that it had to be handed in BEFORE the exam started. So I panicked and I saw my programme leader and explained to him all of the above. He told me it was clear I was too sick to go into the exam and to hand it in anyway.

I am extremely worried as that was my retake exam. Usually if you fail a retake exam at my uni, you have to sit the whole year of that module and do all the work again- capped.
However I am hoping because of my illness I will only have to redo my exam because of the state I was in.

In this particular module, I have achieved 62% in my coursework which I am ecstatic about and I am extremely worried if my appeal will get declined. As I have appealed before for previous exams because of my neighbours at the time causing so much havoc which resulted in lots of police visits and sleepless nights on the days I didn't work night shifts. And the board had straight out declined my appeal giving me a '0' which meant it wouldn't have affected the students ability to perform the exam. However my boyfriend handed in the same mitigating circumstances form on some group work he had, exactly rhe same words as I did and his got accepted!!

Because of that experience I am terrified if the board will decline my mitigating circumstances and then I will be faced with retaking the whole year, re-doing the coursework AND exam at both capped 40%.

I am worried because if they accept, I will leave with a 2:2 which I am absolutely thrilled with, considering how I was before this year. But, if I get rejected, I will leave with 49.9% - a 3rd.. and I am not sure if they will round it up to a 2:2.

Could anyone help me as to see if my situation would be accepted? and the likelihood of me having to retake the whole year ect?
I am so worried about this it's keeping me up at night. I know it sounds silly but I have worked so hard the past year, the hardest I ever have and it would be such a shame to see my hard work for nothing.

I really appreciate all replies
Thanks guys
Original post by charineet
He guys,
Was wondering if you had 10 minutes of your time to help me out?

Throughout this last year of my final year at university I have been very sick and worked long night shifts so had missed a few lectures, but I always made sure when I didn't go I'd read up the further reading guide the lecturer had provided us at the beginning of the year- so I'd always do some work regardless.
Considering I left school with 0 GCSEs and scrapped through my first years at college I was ecstatic to even be accepted into University 4 years ago.
When I started, because of what I had been through I just wanted a 3rd.. as it was a pass. So I scrapped through in my 1st and 2nd years. I had to retake ONE module in my second year as I was 2% off from passing that module. As you can imagine I was very annoyed. So I spent a whole year retaking this one module, one hour a week. I passed the following summer and was accepted into my third year.

This year I actually put all of my effort into it and was ecstatic to be getting grades of 2:2s and some 2:1s. Though I did get a 3rd for my dissertation.

However- I had failed one exam in the summer, 50% of one of my modules (modules are 20% at my uni) and I was meant to retake this exam yesterday. However I got very ill so was unable to attend. I had my urgent doctors appointment the day before my exam and I thought I'd be able to make it into university to sit this exam then put in a mitigating circumstances to let the board know i was sick and wasn't 100% fit to do the exam and I tried ect. However, I woke up feeling even worse and my exam was 930am. I tried to ring at 830am and no answer then I couldn't ring after that as I was over the toilet! (gross) So I couldn't go in to do the exam.

Yesterday afternoon I had taken as much painkillers as I could and had my friends assist me into university and helped me up stairs so I could hand in a different mitigating circumstances form to postpone the exam as I knew it had to be handed in the same day as the exam. The one I HAD planned to do before I was too sick to go in was just to let the board know of my status.

However, once filled out I saw it said on the form that it had to be handed in BEFORE the exam started. So I panicked and I saw my programme leader and explained to him all of the above. He told me it was clear I was too sick to go into the exam and to hand it in anyway.

I am extremely worried as that was my retake exam. Usually if you fail a retake exam at my uni, you have to sit the whole year of that module and do all the work again- capped.
However I am hoping because of my illness I will only have to redo my exam because of the state I was in.

In this particular module, I have achieved 62% in my coursework which I am ecstatic about and I am extremely worried if my appeal will get declined. As I have appealed before for previous exams because of my neighbours at the time causing so much havoc which resulted in lots of police visits and sleepless nights on the days I didn't work night shifts. And the board had straight out declined my appeal giving me a '0' which meant it wouldn't have affected the students ability to perform the exam. However my boyfriend handed in the same mitigating circumstances form on some group work he had, exactly rhe same words as I did and his got accepted!!

Because of that experience I am terrified if the board will decline my mitigating circumstances and then I will be faced with retaking the whole year, re-doing the coursework AND exam at both capped 40%.

I am worried because if they accept, I will leave with a 2:2 which I am absolutely thrilled with, considering how I was before this year. But, if I get rejected, I will leave with 49.9% - a 3rd.. and I am not sure if they will round it up to a 2:2.

Could anyone help me as to see if my situation would be accepted? and the likelihood of me having to retake the whole year ect?
I am so worried about this it's keeping me up at night. I know it sounds silly but I have worked so hard the past year, the hardest I ever have and it would be such a shame to see my hard work for nothing.

I really appreciate all replies
Thanks guys

I think if they reject when you appear to have a good case you need to speak to your student union and see if they can help you put together an appeal

Quick Reply

Latest