Bath Msci psychology and grades - please help!

Watch
lukasthepoet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am an A level student just finished my As levels..
I really hope to study the Msci course in psychology with a placement year. It is my top choice and I know it is competitive but getting an offer would be a dream come true.
However my concern is I have read that you request an A in gcse math and english.
This is a massive blow to me as I have worked incredibly hard to make up for shortcomings i faced in during my GCSe's to achieve the grades I have and am predicted for my A2 levels. I am not sure if bath offers an extenuating circumstances form but my GCSE period was a very unfortunate time for me. I currently live in foster care and was going to severe family breakdown, change of schools and chronic medical condition which I had surgery for in 2013.
My gcse's were not horrible per se, but i know they are not near the high levels most candidates offer.
my results were AAABBBCCCCD

I achieved an A for English but a C for math.

I have come so far since then, worked incredibly hard in the midst of moving from different foster placements, having major surgery (and missing school due to it)
For my As levels I achieved AAB in Psychology, Philosophy and History.

My predicted A2 grades are A*A*AA

The fourth A grade is predicted for my extended project qualification in clinical neurology and psychopathology for which i am undertaking a research dissertation.

It really disheartens me to think my GCSE shortcomings may wipe out all i have achieved, being the first in my family to do so well in A levels.

I wanted to know what you think my realistic chances are of even being considered for the MSCi course?
I am specifically interested in the MSci and not the Bsc, i would only be applying to bath for the Msci and am now unsure of whether or not to list Bath as my choice if i have no chance of getting in.
i can definitely meet the a level requirement but it really disheartens me that a uni could let gcse grades determine my chances considering the amount of change, maturity that happens between gcse and a levels

I now wonder if my only option is to forget Bath and find another uni choice.

Thank you so much for your time
please help
HoratioMG
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The GCSE requirement is generally a formality, and I certainly would not let it put you off applying for Bath.

As far as I'm aware, they are generally willing to let it slide, but sometimes allow for it to be retaken at the university, or make you sit an evening class for a month or 2, just to get you up to speed.
lukasthepoet
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoratioMG)
The GCSE requirement is generally a formality, and I certainly would not let it put you off applying for Bath.

As far as I'm aware, they are generally willing to let it slide, but sometimes allow for it to be retaken at the university, or make you sit an evening class for a month or 2, just to get you up to speed.
Thank you very much for your encouraging reply Horatio, i really hope the university will give me a chance, i'v also sent an email to them directly at all so i hope i will hear from them during the week and find out what my chances are
Millie1986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lukasthepoet)
I am an A level student just finished my As levels..
I really hope to study the Msci course in psychology with a placement year. It is my top choice and I know it is competitive but getting an offer would be a dream come true.
However my concern is I have read that you request an A in gcse math and english.
This is a massive blow to me as I have worked incredibly hard to make up for shortcomings i faced in during my GCSe's to achieve the grades I have and am predicted for my A2 levels. I am not sure if bath offers an extenuating circumstances form but my GCSE period was a very unfortunate time for me. I currently live in foster care and was going to severe family breakdown, change of schools and chronic medical condition which I had surgery for in 2013.
My gcse's were not horrible per se, but i know they are not near the high levels most candidates offer.
my results were AAABBBCCCCD

I achieved an A for English but a C for math.

I have come so far since then, worked incredibly hard in the midst of moving from different foster placements, having major surgery (and missing school due to it)
For my As levels I achieved AAB in Psychology, Philosophy and History.

My predicted A2 grades are A*A*AA

The fourth A grade is predicted for my extended project qualification in clinical neurology and psychopathology for which i am undertaking a research dissertation.

It really disheartens me to think my GCSE shortcomings may wipe out all i have achieved, being the first in my family to do so well in A levels.

I wanted to know what you think my realistic chances are of even being considered for the MSCi course?
I am specifically interested in the MSci and not the Bsc, i would only be applying to bath for the Msci and am now unsure of whether or not to list Bath as my choice if i have no chance of getting in.
i can definitely meet the a level requirement but it really disheartens me that a uni could let gcse grades determine my chances considering the amount of change, maturity that happens between gcse and a levels

I now wonder if my only option is to forget Bath and find another uni choice.

Thank you so much for your time
please help
Have you considered resitting your Maths GCSE? It sounds like you have overcome an awful lot and should be really proud of your achievements, but if you are really keen on going to Bath it may be worth considering. I will be starting at Bath next month and am a mature student, and I asked about the GCSE Maths as I had a B (and universities are often more relaxed about requirements for mature students) and was told that whilst they would consider me with a B, they would advise resitting the GCSE and trying to get an A as it would put me in a significantly stronger position. That makes me believe that they are probably reasonably firm on wanting the A at GCSE Maths, presumably so they can be confident you will cope ok with the statistical elements of the course. I don't think your GCSE grades overall are likely to be a problem, as you are clearly very intelligent to have done so well in your AS levels, and have high A2 predictions, but they do seem very keen on the A at GCSE Maths.
lukasthepoet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Millie1986)
Have you considered resitting your Maths GCSE? It sounds like you have overcome an awful lot and should be really proud of your achievements, but if you are really keen on going to Bath it may be worth considering. I will be starting at Bath next month and am a mature student, and I asked about the GCSE Maths as I had a B (and universities are often more relaxed about requirements for mature students) and was told that whilst they would consider me with a B, they would advise resitting the GCSE and trying to get an A as it would put me in a significantly stronger position. That makes me believe that they are probably reasonably firm on wanting the A at GCSE Maths, presumably so they can be confident you will cope ok with the statistical elements of the course. I don't think your GCSE grades overall are likely to be a problem, as you are clearly very intelligent to have done so well in your AS levels, and have high A2 predictions, but they do seem very keen on the A at GCSE Maths.
Thanks so much for your helpful reply Millie! Congrats on getting into Bath!!
I'v been considering retaking some GSCEs but wont that mean that I will have to take a gap year?
Ive got a ukcat test coming up on the 1st of october and if i do well then i will be applying for medicine (with foundation year) instead, even then most unis request at least 4 A grades at gcse so i may have to retake some sciences, but i'm not sure i want to have a gap year just to do that since i'll already be doing a complusory foundation year (making the medicine course overall 6 years) and it'll set me back another 2 years.
I'v written to manchester about whether their willing to overlook GSCes since i exceed their a level requirements for the 6 year medicine MBBS. their foundation course is specifically designed for a level students who didnt take the appropriate a level subjects to go straight into the 5 year course.
Millie1986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lukasthepoet)
Thanks so much for your helpful reply Millie! Congrats on getting into Bath!!
I'v been considering retaking some GSCEs but wont that mean that I will have to take a gap year?
Ive got a ukcat test coming up on the 1st of october and if i do well then i will be applying for medicine (with foundation year) instead, even then most unis request at least 4 A grades at gcse so i may have to retake some sciences, but i'm not sure i want to have a gap year just to do that since i'll already be doing a complusory foundation year (making the medicine course overall 6 years) and it'll set me back another 2 years.
I'v written to manchester about whether their willing to overlook GSCes since i exceed their a level requirements for the 6 year medicine MBBS. their foundation course is specifically designed for a level students who didnt take the appropriate a level subjects to go straight into the 5 year course.
No, it would be possible to resit GCSEs alongside your second year of A levels. Lots of colleges offer Maths GCSE as a 1 year evening course for example. Also, don't worry too much if you need to take a gap year - it's worth it if it allows you to do what you really want to do instead of settling for something you're not as keen on. It doesn't matter what age you go to university, but it does matter what you study if you want a career in it. If you did psychology, what would be your aim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (98)
13.69%
I'm not sure (32)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (224)
31.28%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.37%
I'm not a current university student (345)
48.18%

Watched Threads