The Student Room Group

Should i re-take GCSE or do weak A-Levels

Hi guys i seriously need help,i asked all my teacher freinds and family but i cannot make a decision. so here it is...when i got my results on results day they were not the best results go 2 Bs and 6cs. The Bs i got were sociology and Religious studies and C in english maths geography and triple science.From the begging i wanted to do maths physics geography and computer science as a A-level and then eventually move to university and do a degree involving these A-levels not sure what yet(if any suggestions please write below)but because i did not have the requirement to do these in college i only have two options left

1.I can re-take my gcse maths, physic, biology and chemistry and hopefully if i do good i can move to A-level and do what i want to but i have to spend 3 years in college and go uni 1 year late which i realy dont mind as long as it pays of

OR

2.I can do accounting.economics and business which i really have no interests in.

Please help what shall i do... WHAT WOULD YOU DO???and what can maths physics and computer sci A-Level lead to pleasee!!! help quick

thanks to everyone who answers back!
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't take any subject or career path that does not interest you, you will only suffer in the long run
There's no point retaking gcses (apart from maths and english in some cases) as it doesn't necessarily mean you will do better in your a levels the following year. I would just take maths, physics and computing now and if you enjoy them you'll work harder. If you don't do well in these it would be more useful to repeat these subjects (or choose new ones) the following year as you'll have more chance passing than if you had wasted a year resitting gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
:smile::confused: the thing is i cant take these sunjects now because i did not get the grades to do it this year so i was planning to retake and do it next year?
Original post by student261
There's no point retaking gcses (apart from maths and english in some cases) as it doesn't necessarily mean you will do better in your a levels the following year. I would just take maths, physics and computing now and if you enjoy them you'll work harder. If you don't do well in these it would be more useful to repeat these subjects (or choose new ones) the following year as you'll have more chance passing than if you had wasted a year resitting gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
:smile::smile:Thats so true but i may not have a choice:mad::cool::mad::mad::mad:
Original post by loperdoper
Don't take any subject or career path that does not interest you, you will only suffer in the long run
Original post by Hisagi98
:smile::smile:Thats so true but i may not have a choice:mad::cool::mad::mad::mad:

Then you need to consider whether studying A-levels is really the best choice for you. If you've got C grades at GCSE, you are not going to cope with A-levels, and there is no point doing A-levels perceived as easier that you're probably not going to get good grades in anyway. The vast majority of schools and colleges require a B grade in the GCSE subject you want to continue to A-level.

You could try to find a college which will allow you to resit your GCSEs, but bare in mind that only a few colleges will offer resits in subjects that aren't English and maths. If you can't find anywhere, you will either have to study at home and pay for all your resits (which will be very expensive), or give up on academic study and find an apprenticeship, which I think would be the most appropriate route for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hisagi98
:smile::confused: the thing is i cant take these sunjects now because i did not get the grades to do it this year so i was planning to retake and do it next year?

Ah right sorry maybe if you talk to your sixth form and explained that your willing to work hard ect they might still take you but otherwise I'd retake the gcse subjects you need

Posted from TSR Mobile
maths, computing and physics are good combination.Do not take the subjects that you dont like. Don't listen to people who say you cant do it for the reason that you scored average in GCSEs( it could be you're one of the procrastinator because i am one of them :biggrin:) , it doesnt prove that you cant do well in A level. Try to convince the tutors and take the subjects you want ( trust me you'll regret it if you didnt choose the subjects you'd like to take because i am one of them ), personally i think grades aren't determine the real strength in you , and i hate people who trying to convince you can't score well in A level because of the GCSE grades. My advice is never procrastinate !
Reply 8
:smile::frown: Yes thank you so much,i have enrolment for college on the 28th and i am really going to try and convince them to let me do the subjects i want to.And hahaha i am like you i procrastinate too much and is a very bad habit..thanks for replying!:biggrin:
Original post by jokerswifts
maths, computing and physics are good combination.Do not take the subjects that you dont like. Don't listen to people who say you cant do it for the reason that you scored average in GCSEs( it could be you're one of the procrastinator because i am one of them :biggrin:) , it doesnt prove that you cant do well in A level. Try to convince the tutors and take the subjects you want ( trust me you'll regret it if you didnt choose the subjects you'd like to take because i am one of them ), personally i think grades aren't determine the real strength in you , and i hate people who trying to convince you can't score well in A level because of the GCSE grades. My advice is never procrastinate !
I would go for the a levels you want and stick with them, just convince the admissions tutors that you can do better. Don't listen to people saying you should give up academic work if you want or go for it. Perhaps look into btecs as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alevel is much harder than GCSE - I know everyone says it but its so true. If you got C's in science at GCSE then you could be looking at E/F/U at Alevel which will get you no where. You have to really think WHY you got C's - What were you getting in class tests, how did you find the classwork/homework, did you genuinely do enough revision etc. If you just mucked up the exam because of nerves etc then maybe talk to your sixth form and see if they will allow you to do physics etc but provide them with evidence such as your revision and any classwork/homework/class tests you exceeded in. Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest