The Student Room Group

Essential 1st year Pharmacy TEXT BOOKS?

What are some of the typical or essential first year reading materials or book titles that are helpful in the first year of the MPharm course?

:confused: :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tea&scrabble
What are some of the typical or essential first year reading materials or book titles that are helpful in the first year of the MPharm course?

Lecture notes.

It depends on your course, and whether you'll actually be needing books (I barely used any in my first year).

Rang & Dale's Pharmacology is an absolutely essential one (I used it for one of my pharmacology journal-style lab reports). Aulton's Pharmaceutics is a good one too. Albert's Essential Cell Biology was very useful too.
Original post by thegodofgod
It depends on your course, and whether you'll actually be needing books (I barely used any in my first year).

Rang & Dale's Pharmacology is an absolutely essential one (I used it for one of my pharmacology journal-style lab reports). Aulton's Pharmaceutics is a good one too. Albert's Essential Cell Biology was very useful too.

May I ask which uni you are at?
May I ask which uni you are at?

Brighton. Going into my 2nd year now.

Of course, the lecturers recommended text books for guided study and reading, but I managed to do well enough (got a 79% average, with no less than 81% in any exam) by just using the lecture slides (I didn't even make my own notes).
Reply 6
I wouldn't go crazy, because the vast majority of books you can just get from the library as and when you need them. However I own tonne of books because I'm overly keen haha.

Aulton's Pharmaceutics and Rang and Dale's Pharmacology are two essential books, as has already been mentioned. They're probably worth the investment in your own copy. The FastTrack series of books are good for quick reference and revision, so maybe consider buying a few of those later in the year. We were also told to buy a medical dictionary, but that's not an essential purchase straight away, so I'd wait to see what your tutors say.

And of course you NEED a BNF! What is a pharmacist if they don't have a BNF? Some universities give them out for free, mine certainly did. If not though, the most recent edition can be bought for a reduced price of £20 if you're a member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (student membership is free, and you'll probably get signed up during Freshers week).
Reply 7
Original post by godd
Lecture notes.

Loool I know right! Lecture notes were more than enough until 3rd year haha
With regards to the BNF: it is an essential (text) book for pharmacists, so make sure you have one when you start the course. If your school of pharmacy does not give one for free, you may be able to get an older version for free (e.g. the March 2014 version) from a pharmacy which already has the newer version.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending