The Student Room Group

English Lit - AS

Hi wondering if anyone can help, recently achieved all As and Bs, i achieved a B in English Lit GCSE but only missed out due to Coursework grade but exams were an A. I enjoyed the GCSE course but i was wondering would having a B put me at a disadvantage at AS and lower my chances of achieving high grades in the subject next year?

P.s. Apologies for what seems a generic post-results thread
Reply 1
I'm kind of in the same position as you, I got an A* in my English literature exams, but my coursework brought me down to an A. I'm thinking of doing it next year too but I was wondering whether it require a lot of memorisation or whether you have to think for yourself. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful
Reply 2
If you do better in exams than coursework then that's a huge advantage! It was my exams that stopped me getting an A* at A level. I'd say do it. Basically you write and rewrite your coursework until it's close to full marks so you won't have any problems from that :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah i didn't find the exams too hard to cope with and was pleased my result in them. Thats great that you can rewrite the coursework elements since sometime theres normally always one piece i have that costs me the a higher grade.
You should all do it. If you thoroughly enjoyed the subject at GCSE, there is nothing stopping you. Most likely your college/school has said you need at least a grade B at GCSE Lit in order for you to study it at A-level. So with an A and almost an A*, you will be capable of studying it.

Once you get to A-level, you'll understand GCSE has nothing on A-level. Typically an A* response at GCSE it like only a E-D possibly even a C grade at A-level... A-levels is all about how much effort and work you put into it. If you put your back into it and work hard then you will get the grade that you want. I've known people who has Bs at GCSE and came out with A* in that subject. I've also known A* GCSE students to come out with B and C grades. It honestly all depends on the amount of work you put in.
Reply 5
I received a B at GCSE (mind, 2 marks off an A but couldn't afford a remark) but managed to get a strong A in my final A-level and am doing English Literature for my degree. Definitely don't be too influenced by your GCSE grades because A-levels are often completely different. I think English is the sort of subject that if you are interested in it then you are much more likely to achieve.
I got an A at GCSE with one of my units being a B and managed an A at A2. English Literature changes quite a bit at A level, personally I enjoyed it a lot more :smile: what exam board would you be on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Changing Skies
I got an A at GCSE with one of my units being a B and managed an A at A2. English Literature changes quite a bit at A level, personally I enjoyed it a lot more :smile: what exam board would you be on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my school its on AQA and its the English Literature B Specifaction
Original post by harry_tb
At my school its on AQA and its the English Literature B Specifaction

Same one that I was on :smile: it's a really enjoyable course!
You will have to do well in the exam and coursework. I got an A in english literature and another A in english language.

In my first year of college, I got a "C" as my overall AS grade in literature. Then I retook the year in another college because I changed my career path and realised that I didn't want to study literature as a degree anymore but, I still picked literature as an A-Level and this year I got a "C" again at AS level with a different spec in AQA (now carrying on with lit at A2). So you already see the difference from GCSE and A-Levels.

My only problem is the exam and anxiety. But, make sure you do A LOT of practice papers under timed condition, read the books you need to study until you fully understand it, structure your answers, read over your work, remain calm and have confidence and don't be afraid to ask your teachers for help because they are there to support you and for you to get the best grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The "A's" are from GCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Changing Skies
Same one that I was on :smile: it's a really enjoyable course!

Yeah im looking forward to it, my school do The Kite Runner and The Great Gatbsy but not sure what poets we do think one of them is Robert Browning. What novels and poets did you do?
Original post by harry_tb
Yeah im looking forward to it, my school do The Kite Runner and The Great Gatbsy but not sure what poets we do think one of them is Robert Browning. What novels and poets did you do?

Ooh I did The Kite Runner and Gatsby! :biggrin: loved both so so much! I did them as well as The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and poems by Keats. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending