The Student Room Group

Advice Needed on GCSE Remarks!

Hello!

In advance, thanks for any advice given.

So, I got my GCSE grades on Thursday and in general I was pretty please.

However, I was incredibly angry/annoyed to find out that I missed out on the A* grade in AQA PRE and Chemistry by just one UMS. That's right folks, one b****y UMS!

After some thinking, i've decided I defiantly want to get at least some of the modules remarked in order to hopefully bump up my grades to the A*.

Listed below are the UMS that I got in each module that made up the qualification. I would appreciate advice on what modules to get remarked.

AQA Chemistry:

Unit One: 90/100 UMS
Unit Two: 94/100 UMS
Unit Three: 95/100 UMS
Unit Four (ISA): 80/100 UMS CANNOT GET REMARKED

So, as you can see I got an A* in all of the written papers but due to my lower mark in the ISA my overall grade was pulled down.

In this situation, what papers would you recommend to get remarked. Instinctively I would say all, but then again grade could go down.

TL;DR -
Missed out on A* in Chemistry by one UMS. Results for papers are listed above. If you were in my situation, which papers would you recommend getting remarked?

AQA PRE:

Unit One: 90/100
Unit Two: 89/100

So, this situation is a little different to my chemistry one. Due to how close both marks are to the boundary, I am left with less wiggle room. I do not want to be in the situation where one grade goes up, but the other goes down, only to leave me with the result I got before.

TL;DR - Missed out on A* in PRE by one UMS. Need advice on what papers to get remarked. If you were in my situation, which papers would you get remarked?

Thanks again.

- will
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Any advice would be much appreciated!
You don't have any more wiggle room in either situation- in both cases you are just a single mark off.

The more papers you remark, the more variable the result you could get out of it.

In the first case I'd be tempted just to remark the 90 UMS module as its much further from "full-marks" than the other two (90 is twice as far away from full marks as 95) so there are more "opportunities" for being upped in marks and less opportunities to lose marks.

In any case its just gonna be luck whether you get an A* from remarking any amount of papers or not (with probability slightly less than 50% since you are on an average slightly less than 90% to begin with and the most probable result is getting the same marks back).
Reply 3
Original post by In One Ear
You don't have any more wiggle room in either situation- in both cases you are just a single mark off.

The more papers you remark, the more variable the result you could get out of it.

In the first case I'd be tempted just to remark the 90 UMS module as its much further from "full-marks" than the other two (90 is twice as far away from full marks as 95) so there are more "opportunities" for being upped in marks and less opportunities to lose marks.

In any case its just gonna be luck whether you get an A* from remarking any amount of papers or not (with probability slightly less than 50% since you are on an average slightly less than 90% to begin with and the most probable result is getting the same marks back).

Thanks so much!

Do you have any advice on PRE remark? (see post bottom)
The scripts close to boundaries are the ones most scrutinised already, for obvious reasons. With a subject like chemistry, where there are 'right' answers, as opposed to essay subjects where there is room for interpretation, remarks hardly ever produce a change in result. That said, it's your money.
Reply 5
Original post by willjmars
In this situation, what papers would you recommend to get remarked. Instinctively I would say all, but then again grade could go down.l

Go for the one you think in each subject asap. The result should come back in time to try a second (and possibly a third if you have the cash) before the re-mark deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest