The Student Room Group

Am I making my A2 year too hard for myself?

So AS went badly and I ended up with ABCC.
I want to apply for medicine and was fairly confident as my GCSEs were good too (10A*s) but this shocker of an AS year has greatly diminished my hopes.

I am doing AQA Chem, Salters Edexcel Biology, Edexcel Economics and OCR Maths. I'm dropping maths so I'm only taking Bio, Chem and Economics to A2.

I got a C in Chem so intend on retaking chem1 and chem2 alongside my Chem A2 modules next year.

I got a C in maths as well so will be retaking just Core 1 to hopefully boost the AS grade to a B if not an A (even though I am dropping maths at A2). This is mainly because many unis want 3As at A2 and a minimum of a B in the 4th AS subject I drop to apply for medicine.

I am retaking unit 1 of SNAB Edexcel Biology alongside my A2 modules.

My question is, can I realistically come out with 3As overall while sitting all the following within my A2 year:
- Chem1, 2 (AS), 4 and 5 (A2)
- Bio 1 (AS), Bio4 and 5 (A2)
- Eco 3 and Eco 4 (A2)
- Maths C1 (AS)

A grand total of 10 modules to sit all in the summer of 2015 during my A2 year.

This year I managed to do my 4 AS level subjects along with the EPQ so I recon the work load will be more or less the same next year since now I do not have the EPQ to worry about nor a 4th A2 to do so am I being realistic in retaking all these AS modules alongside my A2 modules?

And if you have done some of the modules above, can you please share some useful tips to completely ace them when I sit them? (i.e. links to tutorials, worksheets, revision notes are all welcomed).

Thanks
Well the good thing is that you already have pretty good grades, and you just need to work on improving the AS ones a bit. I think it is entirely possible, when we motivate ourselves its surprising how much we can achieve.

For study tips, I recommend taking one spare day a week, or an hour at the end of each weekday and writing a essay plan and some revision flashcards of each module and its highlights that you learnt that week (this helped me immensely in my first year at Uni), go over them all every so often, take a blank page and do a spider diagram of the module also and its main points to remember. And it will make sure your revision is already prepared for exam time, its all about doing things in good measure.

Unfortunately I studied History Sociology and Law so I can't help with the actual modules, just know that your teachers will teach everything needed to pass the exams pay attention in class. The fact that you are finished with the EPQ and dropping maths will ensure you have more time for the other three A levels, so that is really useful, you can definitely get three A's if you really want to, and your GCSE grades were amazing, good luck.
Original post by penandpaper2014
So AS went badly and I ended up with ABCC.
I want to apply for medicine and was fairly confident as my GCSEs were good too (10A*s) but this shocker of an AS year has greatly diminished my hopes.

I am doing AQA Chem, Salters Edexcel Biology, Edexcel Economics and OCR Maths. I'm dropping maths so I'm only taking Bio, Chem and Economics to A2.

I got a C in Chem so intend on retaking chem1 and chem2 alongside my Chem A2 modules next year.

I got a C in maths as well so will be retaking just Core 1 to hopefully boost the AS grade to a B if not an A (even though I am dropping maths at A2). This is mainly because many unis want 3As at A2 and a minimum of a B in the 4th AS subject I drop to apply for medicine.

I am retaking unit 1 of SNAB Edexcel Biology alongside my A2 modules.

My question is, can I realistically come out with 3As overall while sitting all the following within my A2 year:
- Chem1, 2 (AS), 4 and 5 (A2)
- Bio 1 (AS), Bio4 and 5 (A2)
- Eco 3 and Eco 4 (A2)
- Maths C1 (AS)

A grand total of 10 modules to sit all in the summer of 2015 during my A2 year.

This year I managed to do my 4 AS level subjects along with the EPQ so I recon the work load will be more or less the same next year since now I do not have the EPQ to worry about nor a 4th A2 to do so am I being realistic in retaking all these AS modules alongside my A2 modules?

And if you have done some of the modules above, can you please share some useful tips to completely ace them when I sit them? (i.e. links to tutorials, worksheets, revision notes are all welcomed).

Thanks

I got very similar. I got ABBD so I want to see the advice on here also.
I am gonna try harder than I ever have this year knuckle down and get at least AAA or higher!
Also, a strange but useful method to revise would be to see if there are any youtube videos on a specific topic, I find that having the information played out to me on screen helps me remember it more clearly, and helps me to get a different understanding.
Reply 4
10 modules isn't too bad, it's only like doing 4 subjects instead of 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stephanie_12
Well the good thing is that you already have pretty good grades, and you just need to work on improving the AS ones a bit. I think it is entirely possible, when we motivate ourselves its surprising how much we can achieve.

For study tips, I recommend taking one spare day a week, or an hour at the end of each weekday and writing a essay plan and some revision flashcards of each module and its highlights that you learnt that week (this helped me immensely in my first year at Uni), go over them all every so often, take a blank page and do a spider diagram of the module also and its main points to remember. And it will make sure your revision is already prepared for exam time, its all about doing things in good measure.

Unfortunately I studied History Sociology and Law so I can't help with the actual modules, just know that your teachers will teach everything needed to pass the exams pay attention in class. The fact that you are finished with the EPQ and dropping maths will ensure you have more time for the other three A levels, so that is really useful, you can definitely get three A's if you really want to, and your GCSE grades were amazing, good luck.

Thanks for the tips. Should really help me out but just to clarify, by essay plan do you mean writing essays summarizing what I have learned or actual plans for essay-based subjects? (i.e. getting the structure right for like an economics essay?)

Original post by toxiictests
I got very similar. I got ABBD so I want to see the advice on here also.
I am gonna try harder than I ever have this year knuckle down and get at least AAA or higher!

Hopefully it all works out good in the end for both you and I :biggrin:
Original post by penandpaper2014
Thanks for the tips. Should really help me out but just to clarify, by essay plan do you mean writing essays summarizing what I have learned or actual plans for essay-based subjects? (i.e. getting the structure right for like an economics essay?)

Hopefully it all works out good in the end for both you and I :biggrin:

Both approaches could work, it really depends on your individual learning style, or a combination of these will be even better, I've tried both.

I handwrite a page of bulletpoints to focus on structure, I then write short essays that will allow me to work on the subject, each of these are roughly 700-1000 words just on what I have learnt (although for A levels, it may not be this much, it really is up to preference of the learner, what will help you remember the work best), then, by the time I have finished, I have a basic essay for essay based subjects, but also my revision already done for test time, I actually learn the essays I have written by reading and rewriting them.

In the very least I always have the main points completely learnt and when I go into tests, I know exactly what I am writing and there is none of that crazy test panic or even worry of forgetting stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest