VonDoom
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Which is better?
I might do both next year.
Along with Student Librarian, Prefect and joining the basketball team.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VonDoom)
Which is better?
In my opinion duke of Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile
VonDoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andy98)
In my opinion duke of Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok thanks.
Yeah no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
red122
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
D of e might be more respected, but I know ncs is really fun !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by red122)
D of e might be more respected, but I know ncs is really fun !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? Everyone I talked to hated it. I didn't do it because it clashed with army cadets, but all I heard about it was complaints

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dingo749
  • Study Helper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which is better?
I've done both and DofE definitely looks better and as someone said above the Challenge kind of gets worse after the first week?

If you have to pick just one go DofE
Lawliettt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which is better?
I don't get why you can't do both? NCS dates are spread across a month or something so it's not like they aren't flexible. Anyway I enjoyed NCS. I made loads of new friends (both boy and girl) from it and we still meet every few days. My friend from school even found a girlfriend from it lol.

I think my highlight for the first week was our whole team falling off the raft we built because another team came by in their own raft, got out and flipped our raft over over
MissAlevels
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lawliettt)
I don't get why you can't do both? NCS dates are spread across a month or something so it's not like they aren't flexible. Anyway I enjoyed NCS. I made loads of new friends (both boy and girl) from it and we still meet every few days. My friend from school even found a girlfriend from it lol.

I think my highlight for the first week was our whole team falling off the raft we built because another team came by in their own raft, got out and flipped our raft over over
DoE certainly looks better in your personal statement and CV, but if you want to have more fun sort of thing and have a great summer break or halfterm break (during october I think), pick NCS (I had a great time there and made a whole bunch of new friends!). But if you feel like doing both, that's totally fine
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The one you want to do. Beyond that it makes little difference.
pinejuice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
the DoE award is more well known. dont do it just for the sake of it, do it because you want a challenge. it doesnt make a huge difference on your university application but its nice to have.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really enjoyed D of E expeditions. The boring parts (service, creativity, action) for me over lapped with other stuff I was obliged to do anyway, and they give you stuff for your personal statement and CV.

Googling NCS, D of E sounds more Uni-impressing, but to be honest I'd just do whichever grabs you most or whichever your friends are doing.
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
DoE is a pozi scheme trick gullible kids desperate to make it to a good uni to sleep in a muddy fields and make more money for them.

Uni admission tutors dont give a toss about it
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
By all means do either or both of them for fun, but don't be under the illusion that admissions tutors are enormously impressed by either. If you want it to add something to your application, it's not good enough to just say "I did DofE", you've got to draw out the relevant transferable skills and knowledge and make it relevant to your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lerjj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
By all means do either or both of them for fun, but don't be under the illusion that admissions tutors are enormously impressed by either. If you want it to add something to your application, it's not good enough to just say "I did DofE", you've got to draw out the relevant transferable skills and knowledge and make it relevant to your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This.

As I'm currently doing NCS, I'd say it's more a teamwork kinda thing than DofE, and working with a variety of people. With DofE, you'll be with your friends, but physically it's a much harder and more sustained challenge. I think I'm going to stop at silver TBH. Don't do them just to put them on you UCAS though- mention the skills you learnt.
VonDoom
Rep:
?
ok.
Magnesium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd do DofE just because of the range of activities that you choose for yourself. Lot of people enjoyed NCS but DofE is more on your terms and it's not at an awkward time for anyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (696)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.48%

Watched Threads