What does "cashing in" mean?? help with ucas application

Watch
lukasthepoet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys, extremely confused.
Have been reading a lot about cashing in AS level results etc and I am very confused.
do i or do i not need to declare my As results on my ucas if i'm carrying them on to A2?
i dont know if my school cashed them in or not, i dont even know what that means. but i read you dont declare as results if you're carrying them onto A2? so i am very confused.

so far my ucas education section looks like this

GCE Advanced Level:

Psychology
Philosophy
History

GCE Advanced Subsidiary (first award 2001):

PsychologY
Philosophy
History
Biology

I'v put the grades down for the GCE advanced subsidary (assuming thats just were i put down my As results from 14th august)

and put the advanced level ones as pending?

is that the way to do it? or should it all just be pending?
walkers38
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have to declare your AS grades, and put A2 as pending. Later your tutor will fill in the predicted grades.
thebrahmabull
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
since I never made a UCAS application I am not sure about 'declaring' results. But cashing in means you want an accumlated grade for your AS or the full A'level. you can cash in after completing the AS unit(s) but to cash in A'level you need to have completed all the units in both AS and A2 otherwise probably it will show up in your certificate that the a'level was incomplete (and also result in low grade). Also if you cash in your AS level you cannot continue to do the full A'level in that subject afterwards, unless you again regive all AS units (in which case your previous AS level in the subject will be crossed out)
Pectorac
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you go to a state school, your school will cash them in automatically. If you go to a private school, they have the choice of whether to cash them in or not.
fifidi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pectorac)
If you go to a state school, your school will cash them in automatically. If you go to a private school, they have the choice of whether to cash them in or not.
The type of school may have an impact but it is not a deciding factor as far as the exam boards go. It is up to the systems in school as to what they do. In my son's school they cash in everything apart from maths and further maths if you do both. This is because they do not allow anyone to do AS further maths. As a result you can do AS maths and cash it in but they keep all modules until the end of year 13 if you are doing M and FM so that they can be quickly combined to optimise grades.
School should really publish what they do regarding cashing in with their subjects when they first offer courses to year 12 starters.
I would check with school policy. Perhaps you can ask them to cash in? You would know if yours are cashed in by the codes on your exam results sheet.
(son's school is a state school and the local private school cash in the same way)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads