The Student Room Group

5th Choice: Neuroscience vs Biomed

I'm reapplying this year for Medicine but in case I dont get in I'm thinking of choosing a 5th subject to go into and then hopefully apply for GEM. I find neuroscience more interesting than Biomedical Sciences but I hear that Biomed has better career options. Has anyone else chosen Neuroscience as a backup previously? What are the career options and would it be better to select Biomed?
Original post by brbwafflesyay
I'm reapplying this year for Medicine but in case I dont get in I'm thinking of choosing a 5th subject to go into and then hopefully apply for GEM. I find neuroscience more interesting than Biomedical Sciences but I hear that Biomed has better career options. Has anyone else chosen Neuroscience as a backup previously? What are the career options and would it be better to select Biomed?

Do whichever you find more interesting, you will have to do it in depth for 3 years, and you are more likely to do well. Don't get stuck studying something you hate, or regretting that you didn't do the other that you preferred. There are plenty of career options if you've done neuroscience; the main difference is that biomed graduates can be registered to work as a biomedical scientist and then work in the NHS doing lab work (blood tests etc).

Do some research as to the routes open to you with each. Both can be used to apply for graduate-entry medicine as well.

Quick Reply

Latest