The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge?

I have just received my GCSE results and although I am mostly okay with them they are lower than I was expecting. I got:

BTEC IT: Distinction*(A*)
Maths: A
History:A
Spanish:A
Philosophy and Ethics: A
Core Science: A
Additional Science: A
Media Studies: A
English Language: A
English Literature: B
Drama: D

I want to go on to study Law however I am worried that my lack of A*s and my D would make Oxford or Cambridge less likely to consider me especially as Law is such a competitive field.

I have decided to take Maths, Spanish, History and Philosophy and Ethics at AS and will most likely carry on all four to A2. Do you think those are the right choices for what I want to go onto?

Thank you for any help.

Scroll to see replies

Oxford certainly less likely, but Cambridge you have a fighting chance if you have extenuating circumstances or performed extremely well at AS level- perhaps close 100% UMS. Good luck.
Reply 2
For universities like those I've heard that they prefer that you take triple science in GCSE as core and additional has less content.

However, I think that the D grade and the lack of A* might be a problem if applying to an Oxbridge university.
Reply 3
Are you a troll?
I applied for Cambridge last year (I had 3A*s, 6As and a C- the C was in Drama), my AS grades were okay (an average of about 84% overall). I applied for Natural Sciences and I got an interview, I didn't get offered a place but that was probably because my interviews didn't go too well, more than anything.

One of my friends applied for Engineering at Cambridge, she got 10 A*s and As at GCSE (she got more A*s than As), however at AS level she got AABB (after a remark it went up to AAAB) and she didn't even get an interview.

So I would say that if you aim for about an average of 90% in your AS levels (these are much more important in your application than GCSEs), and write a killer personal statement, then your GCSE grades won't matter as much- especially not the D in Drama as that isn't relevant to Law.
(edited 9 years ago)
There are plenty of other excellent universities open to you.

Failing that, there are wonderful opportunities in the food service industry.
Original post by Apcar
For universities like those I've heard that they prefer that you take triple science in GCSE as core and additional has less content.

However, I think that the D grade and the lack of A* might be a problem if applying to an Oxbridge university.

If you're not applying for a science subject, I doubt they care about triple...

If you are applying for a science subject, you'll have done relevant A levels, so I doubt they care. Individual GCSEs, in the end, mean almost nothing in terms of a university application.

As for the OP, almost all other Oxbridge applicants will have far more A*s at GCSE than you. It does seem unlikely that you'll have any real chance at Oxford (unless you absolutely smash the LNAT). At Cambridge, as has been said, you'll probably need average UMS in your AS levels in the high 90s.

Cambridge, I'd encourage you to apply if you get about 90% or above average in your top three A levels. You might just about get an interview, and then you could perform very well.

Don't count on managing this, though, and don't be too hard on yourself if you don't - it's hard. It'd be unusual for people who didn't get A*s in the GCSE subjects that they're continuing to A level to do that well at AS.
Original post by Mariee16
I have just received my GCSE results and although I am mostly okay with them they are lower than I was expecting. I got:

I want to go on to study Law however I am worried that my lack of A*s and my D would make Oxford or Cambridge less likely to consider me especially as Law is such a competitive field.

I have decided to take Maths, Spanish, History and Philosophy and Ethics at AS and will most likely carry on all four to A2. Do you think those are the right choices for what I want to go onto?

Thank you for any help.

Seriously?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for any help.

i applied for law this year to cambridge , with 4 A*s, 10As and 1 B at GCSE , and i was rejected. at AS i has AAABB as well , but predicted A*AA at A2. I got accepted into ucl for law with hispanic law however , and in my A2s i got A*A*A* , so i'd probably just suggest applying to UCL or KCL? they're both very good universities and i also find them a lot more forward thinking - to me , whilst oxbridge is obviously amazing to get into , they're behind and so archaic in their view of applicants. apply though; you might regret it otherwise :smile:

Thank you for any help.

Oxford would be very unlikely due to lack of A*s. However Cambridge, you have a decent chance. UMS matters so much more and if you read around law + maybe a bit of work experience and something to stand out you'll be within a good shot.

Contrary to what others have said, you don't need close to 100% UMS for an offer. I would say around 94%+ or maybe even less. What Cambridge like is an upwards improvement academically so achieving this will look pretty good and comparable to someone who had 10A*s and the same UMS.
Anything is possible! I would say with Oxford that it's very unlikely, however, don't give up on Cambridge!

I only got 1 *A at GCSE and 4 As I got a few Bs as well and a C.

However, I got AAAB at AS with really high UMS for the As and got a conditional offer at Cambridge, bearing in mind I had a very strong personal statement- they like academics but also someone who is exciting and slightly untraditional.

Good luck OP! :smile:
Original post by hotliketea
they're both very good universities and i also find them a lot more forward thinking - to me , whilst oxbridge is obviously amazing to get into , they're behind and so archaic in their view of applicants.

Can I ask how they are 'behind and so archaic' or is this just the ever so prevalent 'I got rejected, so I'll slag off the admissions system'?
Original post by PythianLegume
Can I ask how they are 'behind and so archaic' or is this just the ever so prevalent 'I got rejected, so I'll slag off the admissions system'?

no not at all - if i had got in i probably would have gone there , albeit i wanted a spanish element to my law degree so UCL actually suits me better

the issue i had with it was that everything was really old school - the teaching style hadn't moved forward (such as refusing to accommodate new combinations of degrees, at cambridge , like law with any language , and insisting you learn the language separately and in your own time with no dual honours) and everything is seen as a privilege - like you should be thanking them for letting you in but you're the one paying £9000 a year.

at the end of the day , oxbridge is an immense achievement to get into , anyone who says otherwise is stupid. however , i think they need to come forward in terms of how they look at candidates and what they offer because my uni and many others are now seen as equal to oxbridge - they could pull forward if they gave variety. moreover , the emphasis oxbridge places on gcse's is stupid - many people , such as myself , haven't matured by gcse level. i achieved three A*s at A2 , but my gcse grades didn't display that (4A*s, 10As and 1B). thus , they wouldn't accept me because i didn't get 10 A*s at gcse? it just seems a bit stupid to not look at the candidate in front of you and instead place so much emphasis on their past achievements.

so yeah , not butthurt - i was sad i didn't get in but i think at the end of the day i'm getting a better degree at ucl than i would have got at cambridge in terms of variety. also , i could apply again next year and get in but i think everything's worked out for the best.
the issue i had with it was that everything was really old school - the teaching style hadn't moved forward (such as refusing to accommodate new combinations of degrees, at cambridge , like law with any language , and insisting you learn the language separately and in your own time with no dual honours)

Nothing to do with their 'view of applicants', merely their philosophy about education.

and everything is seen as a privilege - like you should be thanking them for letting you in but you're the one paying £9000 a year.

I've never experienced this at Oxbridge. The students see it as a privilege, but the university puts plenty more into their education than merely the £9000 and what the government gives them per student. The university goes the extra mile, never taking students for granted, which they could easily do with their reputation.

my uni and many others are now seen as equal to oxbridge

Honestly, there aren't any UK universities that are seen as equal to Oxford and Cambridge. There are certain departments at other universities, and the League Tables show them as closer, but to say that they are generally seen as equal is dreaming. You clearly don't believe what you say here, because you admit yourself that you would have gone if you got the offer, despite the fact that UCL had a more appropriate course.

moreover , the emphasis oxbridge places on gcse's is stupid - many people , such as myself , haven't matured by gcse level. i achieved three A*s at A2 , but my gcse grades didn't display that (4A*s, 10As and 1B). thus , they wouldn't accept me because i didn't get 10 A*s at gcse? it just seems a bit stupid to not look at the candidate in front of you and instead place so much emphasis on their past achievements.

Cambridge certainly don't place excessive emphasis on GCSEs and state this quite clearly themselves - plenty of people get in with GCSEs as good as yours. The problem was much more likely your *relatively* poor AS performance, with AAABB. Most people will be applying with straight As, and very high ones at that (we're talking 95% across the top 3 for successful applicants). Oxbridge as universities take into account far more than other universities. They are the only ones to have a rigorous interview procedure and plenty of separate admissions tests. Their admissions systems are the most advanced among all UK universities.

i could apply again next year and get in

No-one can be sure of something like this. Saying this with such confidence merely comes across as arrogant.
Nothing to do with their 'view of applicants', merely their philosophy about education.

I've never experienced this at Oxbridge. The students see it as a privilege, but the university puts plenty more into their education than merely the £9000 and what the government gives them per student. The university goes the extra mile, never taking students for granted, which they could easily do with their reputation.

Honestly, there aren't any UK universities that are seen as equal to Oxford and Cambridge. There are certain departments at other universities, and the League Tables show them as closer, but to say that they are generally seen as equal is dreaming. You clearly don't believe what you say here, because you admit yourself that you would have gone if you got the offer, despite the fact that UCL had a more appropriate course.

Cambridge certainly don't place excessive emphasis on GCSEs and state this quite clearly themselves - plenty of people get in with GCSEs as good as yours. The problem was much more likely your *relatively* poor AS performance, with AAABB. Most people will be applying with straight As, and very high ones at that (we're talking 95% across the top 3 for successful applicants). Oxbridge as universities take into account far more than other universities. They are the only ones to have a rigorous interview procedure and plenty of separate admissions tests. Their admissions systems are the most advanced among all UK universities.

No-one can be sure of something like this. Saying this with such confidence merely comes across as arrogant.

Agreed...and I was rejected from Oxbridge.

This is one of the best posts on TSR I have ever read. Excellent points, well made.
(edited 9 years ago)

Thank you for any help.

Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of everything. Consider applying elsewhere but there's no harm in trying!!

eh , you yourself are bias as it seems you are a cambridge student so we can just agree to disagree :smile: i know many people see oxbridge as i do , and many see it as you do. i think it depends on whether you're inside or whether you're outside.
Original post by kingzebra
Anything is possible! I would say with Oxford that it's very unlikely, however, don't give up on Cambridge!

I only got 1 *A at GCSE and 4 As I got a few Bs as well and a C.

However, I got AAAB at AS with really high UMS for the As and got a conditional offer at Cambridge, bearing in mind I had a very strong personal statement- they like academics but also someone who is exciting and slightly untraditional.

Good luck OP! :smile:

What did you apply for? :smile:
Original post by WishIHadRevised
What did you apply for? :smile:

English :biggrin: are you going there?

Quick Reply

Latest