How long to lose 7 lbs? Watch

Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey Guys;

Well, over the course of the last 3 months (since exam period started), I have gained approximately 7lb and when I go back to uni, am planning on working it off again (parents would KILL me if they found out I was on a diet/trying to lose weight). Well, am actually going back to student accommodation on the 1st September, so, starting then. =)

Anyway, I am currently 5'7 and 147 lbs (10 stone, 7 lbs) and would like to go back to being 140 lbs (10 stone) again...

It took me approximately 8 months to lose a stone last year without trying but still wanted to nonetheless and was wondering how long it would take me to lose this weight again.
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
7 lbs of pure fat = 24500 cals, doing a 500 cal deficit per day would take you 7 weeks, doing 1000 would take 3.5 etc not taking into account water loss

why would your parents kill you you're a grown man fgs

calculate your tdee http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

eat a deficit
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe pick up a sport or do the gym in your free time? Eat healthy but make sure you eat enough,don't deprive yourself! You need food for energy for effective learning ( as my Biology teacher would preach to us during exam season!)

& Don't stress you're a perfect weight and healthy!

Focus on uni and having a good time! I spent far too much time focusing on my weight during exams and it nearly jeopardised them all!
7lb isn't a lot at all! You may find that because of stress and readjustment you'll lose weight naturally (:

Good luck at uni! (:
lyrical_lie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Hey Guys;

Well, over the course of the last 3 months (since exam period started), I have gained approximately 7lb and when I go back to uni, am planning on working it off again (parents would KILL me if they found out I was on a diet/trying to lose weight). Well, am actually going back to student accommodation on the 1st September, so, starting then. =)

Anyway, I am currently 5'7 and 147 lbs (10 stone, 7 lbs) and would like to go back to being 140 lbs (10 stone) again...

It took me approximately 8 months to lose a stone last year without trying but still wanted to nonetheless and was wondering how long it would take me to lose this weight again.
I've been going to slimming world and for half a stone they say it should take about 3/4 weeks if you stick to their plan, and that's without a lot of exercise, I'd assume you'd lose it faster with more exercise.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Jasminem97)
Maybe pick up a sport or do the gym in your free time? Eat healthy but make sure you eat enough,don't deprive yourself! You need food for energy for effective learning ( as my Biology teacher would preach to us during exam season!)

& Don't stress you're a perfect weight and healthy!

Focus on uni and having a good time! I spent far too much time focusing on my weight during exams and it nearly jeopardised them all!
7lb isn't a lot at all! You may find that because of stress and readjustment you'll lose weight naturally (:

Good luck at uni! (:
I plan on joining the gym when I go back to uni and using the on campus gym. =)
Is a fairly reasonable price of £180 a year (£15 a month which I don't think is THAT bad, at least compared to other gyms within the area).
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I plan on joining the gym when I go back to uni and using the on campus gym. =)
Is a fairly reasonable price of £180 a year (£15 a month which I don't think is THAT bad, at least compared to other gyms within the area).
That's an incredible price wow! I pay £30 a month for mine!! :O On campus too, that's so helpful!

You'll do great then! If you just use the gym when you have the free time, the workouts and the effort spent doing uni work will make you lose weight in no time!
tomtjl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Greg Jackson)
7 lbs of pure fat = 24500 cals, doing a 500 cal deficit per day would take you 7 weeks, doing 1000 would take 3.5 etc not taking into account water loss

why would your parents kill you you're a grown man fgs

calculate your tdee http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

eat a deficit
This is really all you need to know.

Also, I don't understand parents who won't let their ADULT children diet. If you want to go to the gym and lose weight they should praise you not ****ing punish you.
randomguy786
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
DNP for 5 days brah.
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
7 weeks to not do it like a retard (which isn't even that long).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fenrirs_space
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Guys;

A healthy weight loss really is 1lb/week, 2lbs maximum (so 7lbs on 2lb/week would be 3.5 weeks).

As someone pointed out before, 1lb fat = 3500 calories, so to lose 1lb a week you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.

Where most people fail with diets is they find it hard to cut out this amount of calories consistently. A simple 30 minutes of exercise/day though burns around 250 calories (depending on the exercise, gentle running should do it easily though). So then, you'd only need to cut out 250 calories on the diet side, which is a bit easier practically and psychologically

It's advisable not to go under the goal of 2lb a week simply due to the calorie deficit needed. Firstly it doesn't teach you how to change your diet effectively to keep the weight off. It's also much harder to stick with the changes until you reach your goal, and you probably won't be getting enough energy to exercise effectively either.
Dr Alcoholic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exactly 6 weeks, 4 days, 16 hours, 13 minutes and 47 seconds.
Dr Alcoholic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fenrirs_space)

A healthy weight loss really is 1lb/week, 2lbs maximum (so 7lbs on 2lb/week would be 3.5 weeks).

As someone pointed out before, 1lb fat = 3500 calories, so to lose 1lb a week you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.

Where most people fail with diets is they find it hard to cut out this amount of calories consistently. A simple 30 minutes of exercise/day though burns around 250 calories (depending on the exercise, gentle running should do it easily though). So then, you'd only need to cut out 250 calories on the diet side, which is a bit easier practically and psychologically

It's advisable not to go under the goal of 2lb a week simply due to the calorie deficit needed. Firstly it doesn't teach you how to change your diet effectively to keep the weight off. It's also much harder to stick with the changes until you reach your goal, and you probably won't be getting enough energy to exercise effectively either.

"1 lbs of fat is 3500............. blah blah"

Yes, directly 1 lbs of fat is 3500 calories, but the human body doesn't work on absolutes like that. Eating 500 cal deficit a day for one person will have different effect on them than it will with the next person. How much weight you lose depends on a multitude of factors.

Although I'm not suggest going on a 500 cal deficit won't do anything, op should still do it, but this is no guarantee to lose 1lbs of fat a week. You may lose more or less than that a week.
Fenrirs_space
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dr Alcoholic)
"1 lbs of fat is 3500............. blah blah"

Yes, directly 1 lbs of fat is 3500 calories, but the human body doesn't work on absolutes like that. Eating 500 cal deficit a day for one person will have different effect on them than it will with the next person. How much weight you lose depends on a multitude of factors.

Although I'm not suggest going on a 500 cal deficit won't do anything, op should still do it, but this is no guarantee to lose 1lbs of fat a week. You may lose more or less than that a week.
Oh I agree with you on that! But these numbers at least give people a good starting point, else you get people who go on 1.5k deficits to 100 deficits and wonder why their weight loss plans don't go as expected. It's just a good guideline to follow

To be fair people shouldn't even measure themselves on a week by week basis (much due to fluctuations like you mention), it's much more effective psychologically to go on a month by month basis imo.
Dr Alcoholic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fenrirs_space)
Oh I agree with you on that! But these numbers at least give people a good starting point, else you get people who go on 1.5k deficits to 100 deficits and wonder why their weight loss plans don't go as expected. It's just a good guideline to follow

To be fair people shouldn't even measure themselves on a week by week basis (much due to fluctuations like you mention), it's much more effective psychologically to go on a month by month basis imo.
What I tend to do if I'm trying to get rid of any negative weight gain is weigh myself on the exact same day at the same time everyweek and that would give a more accurate estimate.

Many people tend to weigh themselves each week but it'll be like a monday morning one week, a tuesday night the next week etc and wonder why like you say their numbers fluctuate. Once a month or every 3 weeks or so is probably the best way to do it, that way if you have been consistent with your weight loss regime you will definitely see the effects.
mollyxrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Took me about one month to lose 7lbs. That was eating healthily and exercising 6 days a week, as well as being generally active.
FutureHeartSurg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Guys;

It depends on how far you're willing to go to lose that weight...
Sam Walters
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Rule of thumb figures are good enough here. Ignoring minor changes in metabolism and jazz like that.

It has been stated what you need to do. But im simple terms. Processed sugar cut. sensible meal portions. (This will be 70% of it honestly. An active lifestyle will get you the rest)

In 8 months ive gone from 17 stone 6 pounds to 13 stone. Those are the only two changes ive made, oh and i stopped drinking alcohol. It was awful for about a week then easy enough after that.

Was what I did healthy? Absolutely not. Don't do it. For 99% of people this is unrealistic. they will not be able to commit to it. I'm just blessed with unwavering commitment.

However stop concentrating on your weight as a number. Take a topless mirror shot every couple of weeks and keep track that way. You'll tone up going to the gym and the weight may not seem to alter but you will have less fat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.32%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.92%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.08%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.52%
No (254)
71.15%

Watched Threads