The Student Room Group

Started mini-pill half way through cycle, why is my period late?

I started the mini-pill (Cerelle) on day 15 of my cycle. The doctor said it was okay I just had to use other protection for 7 days. My period was due a couple days ago and it still hasn't come. I assumed I had already ovulated so I would get my period regularly this month. I've had sex a couple times this month but have been careful. Why is it late? Please help!
The progesterone only pill can stop your periods completely. The pill comes with a leaflet that lists side effects as the impact of the hormone on your period is different for everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes the mini-pill can make your periods late or not come all together. It depends on your body. If you are still worried in a couple of weeks, take a pregnancy test. I think it'll be fine though if you have been using other methods of contraception the first 7 days of taking it.
Reply 3
but since i had already ovulated before taking it, wouldn't my period come normally?
I am sorry I don't know much about this pill as I used to take the combined pill. However, based on my experience from that one the pill would delay my period until my week off the pill even if it was due. I suppose it might be a similar thing with your pill?

Your pills should have come with an information leaflet, I don't know if it will give you more information on there. It's most likely nothing to worry too much about, if you're worried you should go to your pharmacy or gp for advice.
You might not have already ovulated, and even if you had, you're still adding hormones to your system and thats going to affect things.

Take a pregnancy test to completely rule that out, but this is normal.
I had sex without protection the day before I started the pill, I am meant to come come on today on the 13th December 2015 but still haven't should I wait a few weeks as I'm not later yet?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest