KCL vs York ? Help Please

Watch
ITVBBC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have to decide between studying religion, philosophy & ethics at KCL and History & Politics at the University of York - which university is more reputable ?

The ranking system is so confusing and pisses me off - the Guardian ranks KCL 38th - yet it's renowned internationally.

and which degree will be better for landing me a training contract to become a solicitor, as I want to do a law-conversion course after I graduate ?

Help/Advice would be appreciated
Yux
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
go to KCL...The ranking tables aren't that accurate and its true on the guardian York may be higher but on other tables i.e Times, ARWU, QS, the ranking is probably different...btw Surrey is even higher than UCL on the guardian (I'm going there for msc)...the rankings are so different due to different methodology
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Visit them both and find out which you want to live in.

A university is so much more than just a course.
Mansun
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would choose York as it would be cheaper than London, and the city is beautiful. Reputation wise they are about the same, though KCL enjoys a stronger international reputation.
JackS94
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
KCL has a very good careers department (one of the highest rated in the country I believe, though I could have made that up), plus there's likely to be more internship etc. experience available in London.

Really though, you should visit each and see which one you prefer.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
KCL will be astronomically expensive - bear that in mind.
RFJ
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I may be bias (going to Kings in September) but I think Kings reputation far surpasses that of York.
ITVBBC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
KCL will be astronomically expensive - bear that in mind.

True. I'm from a poor family.

I think I'm going to pick York - I'd rather live (financially) comfortably for three years at the expense of going to a uni with a marginally better reputation.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ITVBBC)
True. I'm from a poor family.

I think I'm going to pick York - I'd rather live (financially) comfortably for three years at the expense of going to a uni with a marginally better reputation.
York is a beautiful place, too! KCL would be an experience and a half - but I'm unsure whether London students really enjoy living there. My best mate went to Imperial and was pretty tired with the whole London life by the end of his course. He lives in the country now.
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ITVBBC)
I have to decide between studying religion, philosophy & ethics at KCL and History & Politics at the University of York - which university is more reputable ?

The ranking system is so confusing and pisses me off - the Guardian ranks KCL 38th - yet it's renowned internationally.

and which degree will be better for landing me a training contract to become a solicitor, as I want to do a law-conversion course after I graduate ?

Help/Advice would be appreciated
Go to KCL if you want to do Law in the end. KCL is definitely more reputable than York no matter what the league tables say.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Okorange)
Go to KCL if you want to do Law in the end. KCL is definitely more reputable than York no matter what the league tables say.
University is more than just a course.
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
University is more than just a course.
True. But King's is in a good location for law as well. It just makes more sense to me. I personally prefer a larger city so it depends on the person for sure.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
True. But King's is in a good location for law as well. It just makes more sense to me. I personally prefer a larger city so it depends on the person for sure.
Completely agree. The inner city lifestyle isn't for everything though! I know plenty who are daunted by prices and such.
Mansun
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RFJ)
I may be bias (going to Kings in September) but I think Kings reputation far surpasses that of York.
I think that is harsh on York, tbh. York is about a top 15 university, and like KCL, is close to the UK top 10, so they are about the same in reputation overall. For Law KCL is the clear winner, however, and gives any department a run for their money outside of Oxbridge at LSE. KCL has a stronger international profile as it is more research intensive.

UK newspaper league tables are worthless, and populated with rubbish data. QS Rankings are seen as quite respectable in the main.
Mansun
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
London wasn't even an option for me as an undergrad, far too expensive. Also you have to be quite streetwise in London and be aware of which are the more dangerous parts. Holborn campus is very safe and impressive, Waterloo campus not as safe and not so pretty IMO.

York is a pretty City, you can't go wrong there at all. The only downside for southerners is that it is quite a way up north.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mansun)
I think that is harsh on York, tbh. York is about a top 15 university, and like KCL, is close to the UK top 10, so they are about the same in reputation overall. For Law KCL is the clear winner, however, and gives any department a run for their money outside of Oxbridge at LSE. KCL has a stronger international profile as it is more research intensive.

UK newspaper league tables are worthless, and populated with rubbish data. QS Rankings are seen as quite respectable in the main.
Despite QS being populated by even more rubbish data than the newspaper rankings. 40% weighting on 'academic reputation' is incredibly woolly if you examine the data behind it and see how 'unbiased academics' actually vote. There's probably no such thing as a respectable university ranking table.

But you're right that York and KCL are both very nice universities and that KCL might offer marginally better prospects for law for the average student. This is probably due to geography rather than anything else, and York is indeed a far more appealling city than London.
Mansun
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by russellsteapot)
Despite QS being populated by even more rubbish data than the newspaper rankings. 40% weighting on 'academic reputation' is incredibly woolly if you examine the data behind it and see how 'unbiased academics' actually vote. There's probably no such thing as a respectable university ranking table.

But you're right that York and KCL are both very nice universities and that KCL might offer marginally better prospects for law for the average student. This is probably due to geography rather than anything else, and York is indeed a far more appealling city than London.
QS World Rankings were brought in with consultation with the UK government, so they must have some value. But no ranking is better than the brand value, reputation and tradition a university harnesses over many decades. I don't need any league table to tell me that York and KCL overall are close to the UK top 10.

For Law specifically, I would ask lawyers currently in the profession on their views. I would imagine them saying both are very good and that getting a high First matters more in this case.
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
QS World Rankings were brought in with consultation with the UK government, so they must have some value. But no ranking is better than the brand value, reputation and tradition a university harnesses over many decades. I don't need any league table to tell me that York and KCL overall are close to the UK top 10.

For Law specifically, I would ask lawyers currently in the profession on their views. I would imagine them saying both are very good and that getting a high First matters more in this case.
I definitely see how QS consulted the UK government because QS seems to love British unis to death. Every uni in Britain gets a 10-20 ranking boost from QS with the exception of Oxbridge which deserve their spots.
Mansun
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I definitely see how QS consulted the UK government because QS seems to love British unis to death. Every uni in Britain gets a 10-20 ranking boost from QS with the exception of Oxbridge which deserve their spots.
QS World Rankings only offer a snap shot on how our UK universities match up to the competition overseas. The latest I have heard is that our best research universities are getting caught up fast by Asia, and 9k a year tuition fees is not going to be enough to keep on top.
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
QS World Rankings only offer a snap shot on how our UK universities match up to the competition overseas. The latest I have heard is that our best research universities are getting caught up fast by Asia, and 9k a year tuition fees is not going to be enough to keep on top.
If you ask me to name one ranking it would have to be THE. They are not perfect, but out of the 3 I think they are the most reasonable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.45%
No I am happy with my choice (80)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
7.04%

Watched Threads