Cherx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, so this question regards my mum. So what I wanted to ask is that if my mum takes a Business Management course would she receive a student loan if her husband earns 40k? Oh, and my mum doesn't work at all. Its a college for Computing and Business.

If anyone could help me out this would be a great help

Thanks in advance ^.^
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It would go on her partners income.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cherx)
Okay, so this question regards my mum. So what I wanted to ask is that if my mum takes a Business Management course would she receive a student loan if her husband earns 40k? Oh, and my mum doesn't work at all. Its a college for Computing and Business.

If anyone could help me out this would be a great help

Thanks in advance ^.^
If it's a university level course and she's never been to uni, then she will get a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance. If she's over 60 then she won't get the Maintenance Loan but can still have the Tuition Fee Loan. The Maintenance Grant is means-tested on her household income, meaning that it will be based on her husband's wage and any income either of them have from things like interest on savings, pensions etc. At £40,000, her household income might give her a small Grant but not a substantial one.

If it isn't a university-level course, then it won't be covered by Student Finance so she will have to look for other sources of funding.
Cherx
Rep:
?
(Original post by OU Student)
It would go on her partners income.
So the money would be deducted from her husbands pay check?
Cherx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
If it's a university level course and she's never been to uni, then she will get a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance. If she's over 60 then she won't get the Maintenance Loan but can still have the Tuition Fee Loan. The Maintenance Grant is means-tested on her household income, meaning that it will be based on her husband's wage and any income either of them have from things like interest on savings, pensions etc. At £40,000, her household income might give her a small Grant but not a substantial one.

If it isn't a university-level course, then it won't be covered by Student Finance so she will have to look for other sources of funding.
It's not University it's a college. What do you mean by university level courses..?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it's a college course, she's only entitled to a 24+ advanced learner's loan.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cherx)
It's not University it's a college. What do you mean by university level courses..?
An undergraduate degree, or a course which forms part of a degree such as a Certificate of Higher Education. Any Level 4 qualification.

If it's Level 3 - A Level equivalent - your Mum might be able to get a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan. However it won't be covered by Student Finance.

Business-only qualifications may not attract any type of funding if they're not academic. Do you know what qualification the course would result in for her?

My advice us for her to check with the college, who should be able to advise on the sources of loans used by their other students.
Cherx
Rep:
?
(Original post by OU Student)
If it's a college course, she's only entitled to a 24+ advanced learner's loan.
An undergraduate degree, or a course which forms part of a degree such as a Certificate of Higher Education. Any Level 4 qualification.

If it's Level 3 - A Level equivalent - your Mum might be able to get a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan. However it won't be covered by Student Finance.

Business-only qualifications may not attract any type of funding if they're not academic. Do you know what qualification the course would result in for her?

My advice us for her to check with the college, who should be able to advise on the sources of loans used by their other students.
Sorry... Had to ask my mum. Erm.. It's an HND degree.. Higher National Diploma. So would this be covered by student finance?
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cherx)
Sorry... Had to ask my mum. Erm.. It's an HND degree.. Higher National Diploma. So would this be covered by student finance?
Yes, an HND is the equivalent of the first 2 years of an undergrad degree, so your Mum would qualify fir Student Finance in the circumstances I outlined above.

However if your Mum wanted to go to uni afterwards, she would only be able to get Student Finance for the third year of a degree under the ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualifications) rule.
Cherx
Rep:
?
Yes, an HND is the equivalent of the first 2 years of an undergrad degree, so your Mum would qualify fir Student Finance in the circumstances I outlined above.

However if your Mum wanted to go to uni afterwards, she would only be able to get Student Finance for the third year of a degree under the ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualifications) rule.
Cool

So it doesn't matter that her husband works?
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cherx)
So it doesn't matter that her husband works?
Only for the Maintenance Grant element, which is means-tested. The greater the household income, the lower the Grant amount.

However the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan are not means-tested and are unaffected by the level of household income. Everyone in the UK meeting basic eligibility tests (e.g. Resident in the UK for at least 3 years before the start of the course) is entitled to enough Student Finance to help them attain an undergraduate degree or equivalent at some point in their lives. The funding can be used for a range of Level 4 qualifications not just a degree.

Do beware the Student Finance is designed to cover the Tuition Fee in full but to only *contribute* to living costs. Your Mum will remain partly dependent on your Dad's wage.

This website is the official summary:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is a means tested part to the maintenance loan. But everyone who meets the criteria (previous study, residency, etc) is entitled to something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (148)
19.15%
Labour (328)
42.43%
Liberal Democrats (156)
20.18%
Green Party (42)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.72%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.39%
SNP (9)
1.16%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.78%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)