The Student Room Group

A level options

Hi,

I recently passed all my GCSEs and I want to go to sixth form. I want to try for dentistry so I decided to pick Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and History for my A levels. However Chemistry and History clash at my sixth form so I won't be able to do History anymore. people have suggested Physics or Maths instead of History but I don't really like them. I really want to do History because I really like it and it is the only subject I got an A* in but chemistry is more important for me. I don't want to move to another college or sixth form. So can someone please help me?
Original post by sky280
Hi,

I recently passed all my GCSEs and I want to go to sixth form. I want to try for dentistry so I decided to pick Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and History for my A levels. However Chemistry and History clash at my sixth form so I won't be able to do History anymore. people have suggested Physics or Maths instead of History but I don't really like them. I really want to do History because I really like it and it is the only subject I got an A* in but chemistry is more important for me. I don't want to move to another college or sixth form. So can someone please help me?

Hey :smile: I'm sorry to hear you can't do the subject you'd like to. Are there no other subjects you enjoy? English Literature perhaps? Maybe something like Philosophy if it is offered? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I really like Art but I didn't do it for my GCSE, but I still can't do it because it also clashes with chemistry. I got an A in english but I don't know if i'd be able to get an A at A level and I need As for dentistry.
Original post by sky280
I really like Art but I didn't do it for my GCSE, but I still can't do it because it also clashes with chemistry. I got an A in english but I don't know if i'd be able to get an A at A level and I need As for dentistry.

Any other subjects? Have you spoken to your teachers? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Black Rose
Any other subjects? Have you spoken to your teachers? :smile:

Nope. I had a meeting with my teacher and it wasn't very helpful. She suggested maths or physics. I got an A in physics but i don't really like it and I got a B in maths. I've heard that A level maths is very difficult I would have done maths if I got an A. The other options are Business, health and social care, performing arts and Religious study because these are the only subjects that don't clash with my other ones.
Original post by sky280
Nope. I had a meeting with my teacher and it wasn't very helpful. She suggested maths or physics. I got an A in physics but i don't really like it and I got a B in maths. I've heard that A level maths is very difficult I would have done maths if I got an A. The other options are Business, health and social care, performing arts and Religious study because these are the only subjects that don't clash with my other ones.

Is there any that you are interested in out of those? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Black Rose
Is there any that you are interested in out of those? :smile:
to be honest I haven't done business, health and social care and performing arts for my GCSE so I don't really know what they are like and I don't know if I can do good in them. I don't think RE will help me with what I want to do. So I'm basically stuck
Original post by sky280
to be honest I haven't done business, health and social care and performing arts for my GCSE so I don't really know what they are like and I don't know if I can do good in them. I don't think RE will help me with what I want to do. So I'm basically stuck

A-level RE will help you with dentistry; it is not like the GCSE at all. It covers areas like medical law, medical ethics, patient choice, sustained arguments, belief systems, politics, etc. It's a respected subject at A-level.
Politics and Sociology are quite like history, and sociology fits with psychology
Original post by sky280
Perhaps you can do research into those subjects e.g look at the specs, talk to other students doing them, talk to teachers. See which one you are most interested in, which one you think you can do well at etc :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Maybe you could email/ring a couple of Dentistry admissions departments from unis to find out what they think would be suitable. Alternatively I'm sure if you do a good bit of Googling you'll be able to find similar threads with answers on TSR about good subjects for Dentistry. I do A-level Maths so if you have any questions about that then don't hesitate to ask :smile: Geography would go well with Chemistry and Biology, but does it not fit in the option blocks?
Reply 11
Thanks everyone for the advice. I might do RE or geography instead of history. Which one would you recommend? I haven't done GCSE geography so would it be difficult for me to do A level geography?

Quick Reply