~xSarahx~
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm starting my AS-levels this year and would like to know if anyone has any good tips for revision and studying. I don't really like my study techniques which is why I want to know how others do it I plan to be more organised this year, my IGCSE revision was all over the place Subjects I'm taking are History, Biology, Sociology and Geography so I'd like to know how I could narrow down revision since there is a lot of writing for these subjects. Thanks in advance!
Elllllllley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For History I typed up notes from the work booklets I was given in lessons, and also included any extra notes I made so that all of the information I had was in one place and structured in a way that I could understand. I also made a folder of all of the questions that had come up before and organised them by topic. As I learned the topics in lessons I went home and planned out the answers and filed them to look at later on. I found this to be the best way to get the hang of how to structure an answer because there's a specific way which will get you the highest marks. I did similar things for Geography and Sociology, but answering past papers for History is particularly important.

My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you stay as organised as possible. Get a diary and write down all of your homework and make sure it's in on time, and make sure that your folders are organised and everything is filed away correctly by subjects and topics. I spent a lot of time organising my booklets/typing up notes before I could even start revising which was pretty stressful because I didn't file my work properly and ended up with a big file of paper and booklets for each subject without knowing which topic they were all for. Just keep everything as neat as possible basically so that you can reach for the things you need easily and make sure you take detailed notes in lesson.

For revision I read through and wrote my notes as often as I could, did all of the practice papers I could find and talked about the topics with my friends doing the same course as me. I also tried to teach my parents about the topics whenever I could and found that this was the best way of ensuring I could remember everything. Hope this was somewhat helpful haha and good luck!X
~xSarahx~
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Elllllllley)
For History I typed up notes from the work booklets I was given in lessons, and also included any extra notes I made so that all of the information I had was in one place and structured in a way that I could understand. I also made a folder of all of the questions that had come up before and organised them by topic. As I learned the topics in lessons I went home and planned out the answers and filed them to look at later on. I found this to be the best way to get the hang of how to structure an answer because there's a specific way which will get you the highest marks. I did similar things for Geography and Sociology, but answering past papers for History is particularly important.

My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you stay as organised as possible. Get a diary and write down all of your homework and make sure it's in on time, and make sure that your folders are organised and everything is filed away correctly by subjects and topics. I spent a lot of time organising my booklets/typing up notes before I could even start revising which was pretty stressful because I didn't file my work properly and ended up with a big file of paper and booklets for each subject without knowing which topic they were all for. Just keep everything as neat as possible basically so that you can reach for the things you need easily and make sure you take detailed notes in lesson.

For revision I read through and wrote my notes as often as I could, did all of the practice papers I could find and talked about the topics with my friends doing the same course as me. I also tried to teach my parents about the topics whenever I could and found that this was the best way of ensuring I could remember everything. Hope this was somewhat helpful haha and good luck!X
Thank you so much!
Staying organised can be so hard (especially for me!>.<) but I know that it's really important for this year! It's a good thing that I sorted out my IGCSE stuff and made room for AS revision material ^^
I'll definitely be doing lots of past papers for History and my other subjects. Perhaps it would be good to already start making a folder with past paper questions...
I like your 'teach my parents' technique ;D Actually a really good idea!!
Thank you so much again You've really helped and given me good some pointers for revision!
Elllllllley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ~xSarahx~)
Thank you so much!
Staying organised can be so hard (especially for me!>.<) but I know that it's really important for this year! It's a good thing that I sorted out my IGCSE stuff and made room for AS revision material ^^
I'll definitely be doing lots of past papers for History and my other subjects. Perhaps it would be good to already start making a folder with past paper questions...
I like your 'teach my parents' technique ;D Actually a really good idea!!
Thank you so much again You've really helped and given me good some pointers for revision!
It's okay :-) I know I'm awful at organising and I'm planning on really trying to keep on top of things for A2 so I don't have to stress as much when it gets to the end of the year again haha. Yeah I think that would be a great idea, it would save a lot of time to have the material already there for you and it would take some of the work load off for you which is always good! Glad I could've helped, hope you enjoy college :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed