French or Maths for AS level - medicine?

Watch
tootfruity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! In the future I aim to study medicine at uni and have decided to study Biology, Chemistry and English literature however I am unsure whether to study French or Maths as my fourth AS? I think I would be giving up either french/maths after one year anyway but if I don't do maths does this put me at a disadvantage?

I feel I would do better in french but if maths is key to studying medicine then I'll go with that any help would be much appreciated!
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to apply to Cambridge... Maths.

If not, whichever you enjoy more.

I'd probably say Bio, chem, maths and French!
Doomlar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tootfruity)
Hello! In the future I aim to study medicine at uni and have decided to study Biology, Chemistry and English literature however I am unsure whether to study French or Maths as my fourth AS? I think I would be giving up either french/maths after one year anyway but if I don't do maths does this put me at a disadvantage?

I feel I would do better in french but if maths is key to studying medicine then I'll go with that any help would be much appreciated!
You only really need Biology and Chemistry, however there are universities, specifically the Oxbridge pair, that like you to have a third science subject at A2.
tootfruity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doomlar)
You only really need Biology and Chemistry, however there are universities, specifically the Oxbridge pair, that like you to have a third science subject at A2.
Ok, so all other things aside (meaning work experience/performance in an interview) am I more likely to be accepted if I have maths at AS than french? Assuming I got the same grade
Doomlar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok, so all other things aside (meaning work experience/performance in an interview) am I more likely to be accepted if I have maths at AS than french? Assuming I got the same grade
It is entirely dependent on the university; some require or advise a third science. The following page details the requirements of individual universities:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
maths but french over english lit tbh
tootfruity
Rep:
?
I'm not especially inclined to want to go to Oxbridge so that's not necessarily an issue for me. I'd also be worried about the transition to as level maths - I got an A* at GCSE and did FSMQ add maths and got a B but I still for some reason believe I wouldn't be good enough to do well at a level..

Posted from TSR Mobile
tootfruity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
maths but french over english lit tbh
Why do you say this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do you say this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll be fine for maths

A friend of mine had a B at gcse, got an A
French over English Lit, but more so if you take it to A2. Because you can analyse a book for the essay
tootfruity
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
You'll be fine for maths

A friend of mine had a B at gcse, got an A
French over English Lit, but more so if you take it to A2. Because you can analyse a book for the essay
(Well done to your friend!)
Ahh I see. However I think for me English lit has always been my subject-reading etc is my forte although French does sound pretty interesting at A2....

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Well done to your friend!)
Ahh I see. However I think for me English lit has always been my subject-reading etc is my forte although French does sound pretty interesting at A2....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd do maths then if I were you

Keep French going on the side though. It's good fun
tootfruity
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
I'd do maths then if I were you

Keep French going on the side though. It's good fun
Decisions decisions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.43%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
28.57%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.57%
No, I haven't received any communication (18)
51.43%

Watched Threads