Cee420
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am seeking some advice on the 16-25 railcard, Is anybody a holder of it at the moment, I would like to know how it works as I am looking for the way to help saving on my travel expenses back and forth to Edinburgh College from Kirkcaldy, Fife
Also any suggestions on types of bus tickets would be great as bus would cost less than train does but I just cannot work out the right one
I am at college for 3 days a week
- For bus I could pay cash single for each journey (Return to Edinburgh costs roughly £6.70) and I'm planning to buy dayrider ticket when get to Edinburgh which costs £3.70
£6.70 + £3.70 = £10.40 x 3 days
= £31.20 a week x 4 weeks
= £124.80 a month
And I am receiving my bursary form SAAS to cover my travel expenses about £145.00 monthly
have looked through some of weekly/monthly tickets and cards but not sure if it worth it as I only at college for 3 days unless I have got a job there (which I have applied for and now finger crossed for it)

Thank you very much for your reply
Hope you have a good day ((:
Dana.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Basically, When buying train tickets online you select that you have a 16-25 railcard and it will apply the discount for you. Then on the train you show them your tickets and your railcard.

(Just looked on national rail and depending on what time you need to get to college it might be cheaper on the train.)
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One thing you should note (if you haven't already) is that railcards cannot be used in conjunction with season tickets.
Alex17595
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The railcard has a £12 minimum fare before 10am on a weekday apart from in July and August.
Cee420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dana.)
Basically, When buying train tickets online you select that you have a 16-25 railcard and it will apply the discount for you. Then on the train you show them your tickets and your railcard.

(Just looked on national rail and depending on what time you need to get to college it might be cheaper on the train.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you never realised I was entitled to it til the last minute of working out money for travelling
Cee420
Rep:
?
(Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
One thing you should note (if you haven't already) is that railcards cannot be used in conjunction with season tickets.
Thank you, so If I go for season ticket then I won't get any discounts ?
Cee420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex17595)
The railcard has a £12 minimum fare before 10am on a weekday apart from in July and August.

Thank you. Now I see what £12 minimum fare means, it cost me £13.60 this morning for the train at 6:50 and day ticket for £3.50 oh my ... :banghead::banghead::bawling::bawling:
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cee420)
Thank you, so If I go for season ticket then I won't get any discounts ?
That's right, season tickets are considered a discount in themselves.

The £12 minimum fare before 10am thing often means that it's cheaper to just buy a season ticket.
Cee420
Rep:
?
(Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
That's right, season tickets are considered a discount in themselves.

The £12 minimum fare before 10am thing often means that it's cheaper to just buy a season ticket.
ahhh, should have posted this earlier ha ha ha already spent £17.10 today so sad, thought it would be full day but was in for only few hours, there goes my money ha ha ha
Alex17595
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you. Now I see what £12 minimum fare means, it cost me £13.60 this morning for the train at 6:50 and day ticket for £3.50 oh my ... :banghead::banghead::bawling::bawling:
Should be no minimum fare today because its august. There is none on a bank holiday.
Cee420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex17595)
Should be no minimum fare today because its august. There is none on a bank holiday.
I asked one of the staff he said it was a normal price (£13.60) for that period of time but after 9:15 or 10 maybe not sure he said it will cost less (£9.40)
Getting a bus is now seems to be a cheaper option :'(
Alex17595
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I asked one of the staff he said it was a normal price (£13.60) for that period of time but after 9:15 or 10 maybe not sure he said it will cost less (£9.40)
Getting a bus is now seems to be a cheaper option :'(
That is probably peak\off peak fares that have been railcard discounted already then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (195)
14.4%
I'm not sure (61)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.03%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.73%
I'm not a current university student (668)
49.34%

Watched Threads