The Student Room Group

My friend got 7A*s and 3A's

And I got 2A*s, 7As and a B.

Say this motivates me and I get AAAAA at AS (5th A in General Studies)
And at A2 I got A*A*A

And he got AAABB at AS
And A*AA at A2

If we are both applying for dentistry/medicine, does he beat me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr...
Depends which university your applying to...

This.

Depends which subjects/UMS scores/which subject you got a B in.

Don't just narrow it down to your friend. Big picture. There are probably thousands applying for the same course, most of which will have better gcses than you.

That should be your motivation to do well in AS :yep:
Original post by xNcDianna
This.

Depends which subjects/UMS scores/which subject you got a B in.

Don't just narrow it down to your friend. Big picture. There are probably thousands applying for the same course, most of which will have better gcses than you.

That should be your motivation to do well in AS :yep:

It depends on what university you are applying to...
Original post by VonDoom
And I got 2A*s, 7As and a B.

Say this motivates me and I get AAAAA at AS (5th A in General Studies)
And at A2 I got A*A*A

And he got AAABB at AS
And A*AA at A2

If we are both applying for dentistry/medicine, does he beat me?

It depends where you are both applying. Most unis use them differently. Also there is the UKCAT and BMAT which you may have to sit, and a lot of unis use these largely to select for interview. But honestly, I do think he will have a slight advantage as I know more universities use GCSEs than AS levels to select.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr...
This.

There is a lot that the OP has to take into consideration, like the fact that he/she isn't only competing against his/her friend...

That is what I said...

I got a B in RS, one mark off an A and will be getting that remarked so hopefully 2A*s and 8As.
But I feel like revising for my A levels now, as soon as I get those text books, Im making notes and revising everything, then doing past papers at christmas and will be sorted for As/a2
Original post by VonDoom
I got a B in RS, one mark off an A and will be getting that remarked so hopefully 2A*s and 8As.
But I feel like revising for my A levels now, as soon as I get those text books, Im making notes and revising everything, then doing past papers at christmas and will be sorted for As/a2

You're going to do the papers at christmas? You won't have any left for the weeks before the exams.
Original post by Mr...
This.

There is a lot that the OP has to take into consideration, like the fact that he/she isn't only competing against his/her friend...

That is what I said...

Exactly :tongue: I am reiterating what you said in case the other one didn't see it clearly
Reply 7
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
You're going to do the papers at christmas? You won't have any left for the weeks before the exams.

My friend did EVERY past paper for EVERY exam and got 6A*s, 3As and a B in English Language which he was weak in.
He is a very very good friend of mine who helped me use his past papers.
Printed about £300 worth of papers.
Original post by Angelo12231
It depends on what university you are applying to...

Not really, any serious Dentisry applicant will have consistently stellar grades in all exams albeit w/o extenuating circumstances and all that jazz.

Original post by Mr...
This.

Yes, I guess one thing in OPs favour is that they won't have to compete with those not applying to the same uni - but then again everyone has that advantage..

Serious dentistry applicants tend to be in the top 5 of their class - unless you go to a really good school, just ace your AS's and yoou should be fine.

OP could always do igcses to bulk up the grades..
That is what I said...

Original post by VonDoom

If you are doing maths then go through exam solutions videos now will put you in good stead.
Reply 9
Not really, any serious Dentisry applicant will have consistently stellar grades in all exams albeit w/o extenuating circumstances and all that jazz.

If you are doing maths then go through exam solutions videos now will put you in good stead.

Mind giving me a link to these Maths exam solution vids?

Also I went to a grammar school so will I be put below another who got the same as me in GCSEs?
Original post by VonDoom
Mind giving me a link to these Maths exam solution vids?

Also I went to a grammar school so will I be put below another who got the same as me in GCSEs?

most probably hard to tell, depends on lots of factors.

if you are so worried do igcses in Nov/Jan.

examsolutions.net --->enter that in search bar.

If an applicant has a perfect set of results, he will be able to apply to any university. If a person applies to a university that appreciates the applicants strengths and cares very little about his weakness, I don't see a reason for them not being able to get an offer. It does depend on the university. What you're saying is almost this: any university has the same requirements, which is incorrect.
Reply 12
most probably hard to tell, depends on lots of factors.

if you are so worried do igcses in Nov/Jan.

examsolutions.net --->enter that in search bar.

My school did IGCSE Maths, English Lang and Lit, in which I got A's.
I just wish they consider that I got an A in Latin, I could have done ICT and got an A* instead...
'Beat me'?

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by this?
Original post by VonDoom
My school did IGCSE Maths, English Lang and Lit, in which I got A's.
I just wish they consider that I got an A in Latin, I could have done ICT and got an A* instead...

first of all, your GCSE grades are extremely good. be proud of them! secondly, it depends on a lot of factors. i know plenty of people at my school who got 8/9 A*'s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level that got plenty of medical school rejections, and people who got 1/2 A*'s at GCSE and AABB/ABBB at AS level and got multiple medical school offers. why? because the personal Statement, academic reference, UKCAT and BMAT result counts for a hell of a lot more than you'd think. so i would focus on trying to nail those elements of your application - i know for example with Newcastle medical school, a really strong UKCAT (and im talking 700+) will put you in really good stead for an interview regardless of GCSE grades, however at Birmingham your GCSE grades would disadvantage you heavily. so it depends where you apply aswell.
Original post by Angelo12231
If an applicant has a perfect set of results, he will be able to apply to any university. If a person applies to a university that appreciates the applicants strengths and cares very little about his weakness, I don't see a reason for them not being able to get an offer. It does depend on the university. What you're saying is almost this: any university has the same requirements, which is incorrect.

I assumed that those with high grades would be applying to similarly high unis.
Reply 16
Original post by Fas
first of all, your GCSE grades are extremely good. be proud of them! secondly, it depends on a lot of factors. i know plenty of people at my school who got 8/9 A*'s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level that got plenty of medical school rejections, and people who got 1/2 A*'s at GCSE and AABB/ABBB at AS level and got multiple medical school offers. why? because the personal Statement, academic reference, UKCAT and BMAT result counts for a hell of a lot more than you'd think. so i would focus on trying to nail those elements of your application - i know for example with Newcastle medical school, a really strong UKCAT (and im talking 700+) will put you in really good stead for an interview regardless of GCSE grades, however at Birmingham your GCSE grades would disadvantage you heavily. so it depends where you apply aswell.

Posts like these just make me soooo happy thank you so much, so if I was applying for Manchester what are my chances of getting in if I do DoE Gold, Basketball, Student Librarian and prefect along with these results?
Reply 17
Stop posting so many threads about your GCSEs and if they're good enough, you've been told they are. Just focus on your AS levels now, worry about applying after that.
Reply 18
Original post by returnmigrant
'Beat me'?

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by this?

What I mean by this is, do I get into say Manchester uni for example or does he?
Reply 19
Original post by VonDoom
Posts like these just make me soooo happy thank you so much, so if I was applying for Manchester what are my chances of getting in if I do DoE Gold, Basketball, Student Librarian and prefect along with these results?

Manchester use a weird system, bit of a gamble applying there as you don't really know what they're looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest