The Student Room Group

ALevel choices?

Would english literature, psychology, sociology and biology be too much hard work? For my gcse results I got an A in English, and B in my sciences and I was wondering if someone could tell me what English is like at AS? And would chemistry be easier for me?

Thank you.
I loved English lit, I loved reading and sharing my interpretations of the text so I enjoyed doing the subject. However what I found difficult was the exam. I knew the technique but some times the questions were just not what you were expecting, and at times -whilst doing practise papers- I struggled to come up with enough valid points to create a viable argument. But that may have just been because of the text. I did Frankenstein, whilst it was an interesting read, it was a pain to analyse.

Also the marking tends to be subjective with essay based subjects, because as long as you can argue your point and provide evidence you can get marks. With my exam board -OCR- the grade boundaries were ridiculously high, like 54/60 for an A. Which I found a struggle to achieve, but again that was just me and you could probably do better if you work hard. I got a B overall due to getting an A in the coursework and a C in the real exam.

I'd advise maybe looking to see what exam board you college/sixth form does and what would be required of you. Because I know some exam boards don't have coursework but instead have exams.

Quick Reply

Latest