The Student Room Group

A Level Subjects

I am hoping to study law at a top UK uni in the future and I'm currently deciding on my A Level options.

I was planning on studying English, Maths, History and Geography but due to a timetable issue that combination is not possible at my sixth form. I've now swapped Geography for Economics and I am wondering if these 4 subjects make up a good (respected) combination or not?

I would also be interested to know how difficult history a level is - I'm taking 3 extra maths modules to get a 5th AS in further maths as well as an A Level in single maths after 2 years so I'm weary of my total workload.
(I got 12 A*s in my GCSE's btw)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I did Economics, so if you have any questions about the subject, just quote me :smile:
There's a lot of information to learn in history so it will take a lot of extra note taking in your free time not only to get all the of the information you need but to also ensure that you're remembering it. The thing I found most challenging was getting the exam technique- I got an A* at GCSE but found AS history challenging. It's much different writing answers to a good AS standard than at GCSE as for my exam at least I had fairly short questions- you're likely going to have to write an essay (maybe 2) in exam conditions and that can require some getting used to. In my exam board the first exam I had 2 30 mark questions and in the second a 20 and 40 mark question so it can feel daunting.
Original post by annabeltsr
I am hoping to study law at a top UK uni in the future and I'm currently deciding on my A Level options.

I was planning on studying English, Maths, History and Geography but due to a timetable issue that combination is not possible at my sixth form. I've now swapped Geography for Economics and I am wondering if these 4 subjects make up a good (respected) combination or not?

I would also be interested to know how difficult history a level is - I'm taking 3 extra maths modules to get a 5th AS in further maths as well as an A Level in single maths after 2 years so I'm weary of my total workload.
(I got 12 A*s in my GCSE's btw)

I got 189/200 in my AS history, but for law I would recommend this over both maths and economics as the same skills used in history can be transferred over to law. I am going to read history at university before moving onto the GDL and going into law through that route for that particular reason.
Reply 4
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I got 189/200 in my AS history, but for law I would recommend this over both maths and economics as the same skills used in history can be transferred over to law. I am going to read history at university before moving onto the GDL and going into law through that route for that particular reason.

I'm planning on doing history as well as maths, economics and english literature. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest