The Student Room Group

Applying for a Vet Course

I plan on applying when I've finished my A-Levels in two years time and so I was wondering, people who are applying this year/have applied/have gotten onto a course, what were your grades and work experience like? What have you done, and what should I do?
Original post by tepeon
I plan on applying when I've finished my A-Levels in two years time and so I was wondering, people who are applying this year/have applied/have gotten onto a course, what were your grades and work experience like? What have you done, and what should I do?

Take a look in the Big and Shiny Work Experience Bible at the top of the forum for what you should do :smile: It's great stuff. At least 15 weeks of work experience is suggested in order to remain competitive, and this should include small and large animals vet practices (at least two), stables, kennels/catteries, and a commercial farm of sorts (dairy is probably best, but lambing is also great to do and pig farms/poultry will help you to stand out). All of the universities have the grade requirements on their websites, but offers are usually AAA.

As for me (I'm applying this year for 2015 entry), my GCSE grades were 3A*, 9A (and a C in friggin' French :tongue:) and my A-Level predictions are A*A*A* in biology, chemistry and physics. My work experience is on my profile.
Reply 2
I feel your pain with the Cs XD mine was in History :P thank you for your help x
I would suggest looking on the university websites. The universities that do veterinary medicine are: Cambridge, Nottingham, RVC, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Surrey and Bristol.

Each one differs, Liverpool requires the most with 10 weeks of work experience.
RVC requires less with 4, two in practice and two out, and they stipulate it has to have been within 18 months prior to applying: therefore '8 years on a stable yard' will not count.

Different universities are focussed on different things and what they want to see what you have gained from that placement.
Cambridge for instance are more academic and require just two in practice and when you go to their interview they are interested in your scientific abilities.
I have done far less than Little tail Chaser. My grades at GSCE were 6A*s and 5As and I got AAAA this year at AS. I have not got my predicted grades yet!

Basically for work experience, I would just suggest a good mix of dairy, lambing, pigs, smallies and equine.
The more the better, but don't sacrifice work experience for grades! After all, we're only human, and some people aren't able to get as much work experience due to many lifestyle reasons.

Just do your best!:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by tepeon

Hi I'm just going into my second year at the RVC. At A level I got 3As, work experience wise I'd spent 3 years working in a mixed practice a couple of evenings a week, 4 weeks further work experience at the same practice, a week at a small animal practice, 2 weeks lambing, 1 week kidding, 2 weeks dairy, 1 week kennels, 1 week stables, 1 week exotics. Think that's everything, my only interview/offer was from RVC by the way 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending