The Student Room Group

what alcohol should I buy for my room???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bekbok
Yeah, especially as we could only have wine, beer or cider

I would have chosen beer personally but still pretty good :tongue:
Original post by bekbok
I don't down it, I'll sit there for an hour or two with friends drinking it. :tongue:

hardcore beasts!:P but yeh...twas a night to remember I guess but Ive been scared of wine since...
Original post by SophieSmall
This is true.
And naw you are falsely advertising me!

ahh I don't think I could really be arsed with that kind of society, it gets expensive and there would be a lot of travel as well.
Now if there is a pub society I'm there but, I'm not much of a group activity kind of person.

ara they know tis grand..
its £3 here!:P and the camping and stuff is mad craic!
sounding more irish as I talk to yeh...
Original post by tarmaclover
Hello

I was wondering what kind and how much of each alcoholic drinks I should buy for my room at uni. I think it would be a great icebreaker and a good way to meet people.

Peeps be like whaaaat that's a lot of drink etcc gap yahhhh bro

Would my approach work? I was thinking a crate of lager and one of each spirit

Ideas?????

If you need to be drunk to make friends then you must be pretty damn boring when you're sober.
Reply 43
I would have chosen beer personally but still pretty good :tongue:

I'm not a fan of beer and wine is better for sharing. :tongue:
Original post by bekbok
I find they don't taste any different anyway, especially when mixed with things, cheep spirits that is

What. Believe me, they do. I've been served cheaper versions of Disaronno and Jack Daniels Honey in bars and they tasted horrible in comparison.

Aldis version of Peach Schnapps is alright but their Malibu is awful.

Come on, nothing wrong with buying them considering how expensive the real thing can be, but in most cases they taste nothing like the original.

And am I the only one on this thread who thinks this whole topic is a bit sad? The OP may as well say 'what alcohol should I buy that'd make me look über cool and make loads of cool friends in freshers'. Just buy what you want to buy...
Reply 45
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hardcore beasts!:P but yeh...twas a night to remember I guess but Ive been scared of wine since...

Had that one night, wasn't used to drinking and downed a whole bottle of strongish wine and ended up throwing up and not feeling great the next morning. I decided not to chug wine after that...
Reply 46
Original post by TolerantBeing
What. Believe me, they do. I've been served cheaper versions of Disaronno and Jack Daniels Honey in bars and they tasted horrible in comparison.

Come on, nothing wrong with buying them considering how expensive the real thing can be, but in most cases they taste nothing like the original.

And am I the only one on this thread who thinks this whole topic is a bit sad? The OP may as well say 'what alcohol should I buy that'd make me look über cool and make loads of cool friends in freshers'. Just buy what you want to buy...

Ahh, only really had cheep vodka and that was fine.
Original post by bekbok
I'm not a fan of beer and wine is better for sharing. :tongue:

disagree on the sharing :tongue: I'd drink a whole bottle to myself, you only get about 4-5 glasses in a bottle

Aha don't blame you.

I don't know how much it is but I know some other similar societies are quite expensive if you go often.

Aha I hear the slang all the time :3
Reply 49
disagree on the sharing :tongue: I'd drink a whole bottle to myself, you only get about 4-5 glasses in a bottle

Yeah, school rules meant wine made more sense. :tongue:
Original post by bekbok

aha, it's pretty cool your school allowed that
Reply 51

Well, it was a boarding school and we were there weekends and if they hadn't let us, people would just have drunk anyway and hidden the bottles in their room. As it was people drank more than they should, on nights we shouldn't as well as spirits which were a big no-no.
Original post by bekbok

yee should try the tsr meet up thing

pretty illegal too but sure:biggrin:
Reply 53
yee should try the tsr meet up thing

pretty illegal too but sure:biggrin:

If they were doing it, it must have been legal, we did have to get parents permission and only 6th form could drink. Lower 6th was a glass of wine or equivalent, given by a teacher and drunk with said teacher. Upper 6th we were allowed a bit more, but we had to provide it.
Original post by bekbok
If they were doing it, it must have been legal, we did have to get parents permission and only 6th form could drink. Lower 6th was a glass of wine or equivalent, given by a teacher and drunk with said teacher. Upper 6th we were allowed a bit more, but we had to provide it.
tis a joke..and plenty have done illegally before
english posh schools sound fun tho have to say!
Original post by TolerantBeing

I am sad you know...

My username is tarmaclover which implies that I have a thing for road surfaces duhh??

So obviously I need to overcompensate with alcohol do you get me!!!!!

Anyway I have decided that vodka will be branded, so Smirnoff as I've heard the cheap stuff can make you ill.

A crate of Budweiser

And the rest of the budget will be spent on cheap aldi cider, Irish cream, tequila, schnapps, wine, whiskey, gin, etc.

Forgot to add LAMBRINI DEFFO as I have a soft spot for that

This will work out being cheaper anyway as predrinks so it should save me money in the long run.

Thank you for the massive tangent and your help guys!!!
Reply 56
tis a joke..and plenty have done illegally before
english posh schools sound fun tho have to say!

Was fun, but not that posh, you did a test and they decided if they wanted to take you then your parent's had to fill out a form about how much money they got. They then charged fees based on what you could afford and if you could afford their definition of full fees when you joined, they wouldn't take you, but if your parent's got richer, you could say as well as having siblings come. They have changed the rules since cause of the economic downturn, so they will now take people that can afford full fees on joining, as well as getting day and international students while I've been there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bekbok
Was fun, but not that posh, you did a test and they decided if they wanted to take you then your parent's had to fill out a form about how much money they got. They then charged fees based on what you could afford and if you could afford their definition of full fees when you joined, they wouldn't take you, but if your parent's got richer, you could say as well as having siblings come. They have changed the rules since cause of the economic downturn, so they will now take people that can afford full fees on joining, as well as getting day and international students while I've been there.

you dont need to try to justify your parents spending on private education to me!:P

its yeer money..besides a lot worse things to spend money on than education.
its one of the few things if worthwhile id invest in myself.
anywho isnt it your bedtime:?
Original post by bekbok

Bekbok urself out of my thread 👋
Reply 59
Original post by tarmaclover
Hello

I was wondering what kind and how much of each alcoholic drinks I should buy for my room at uni. I think it would be a great icebreaker and a good way to meet people.

Peeps be like whaaaat that's a lot of drink etcc gap yahhhh bro

Would my approach work? I was thinking a crate of lager and one of each spirit

Ideas?????

i have made quite a comprehensive list of my own alcohol and bar kit.

you might be interested

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2817181

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending