forhad100
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello my name is forhad I did AS maths and thoroughly enjoyed it and I have always wanted to do a maths degree. My other a levels didn't go to well so then i moved onto the an civil engineering apprenticeship but now that i heard about the open university I am considering doing my apprenticeship (full time 37.5 hours every week plus coursework) and doing the maths degree with open university either full time or part time which ever one is best.

Can I have some advice on this and opinions from anyone that has actually worked full time and studied a degree with the open university or specifically the maths degree
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I've moved this to the Open University forum for you
BestProfileName
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have not even started yet, but I am doing full-time postgraduate study whilst doing Maths and Physics.

I've been looking at the study materials for a little while now. I've almost finished Unit 2 of book 1 for MST124. This module appears to be mostly A Level Maths. MST 125 A Level Further Maths/Undergraduate level 1. I cannot speak for the other two modules.

You can certainly do 120 credits of Level 1, no doubt. You'll probably need to study around 15-20 hours a week, given your background (if it's similar to mine).

Onto someone else for further advice...
Radio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't have any experience with a maths degree or even studying full time but I would echo the advice that your first year is the year to experiment with workloads. The expectation from a Level 1 course is very different to Level 2 and while your Level 2 coursework will eventually affect your degree classification, you simply need to pass Level 1 with any mark over 40%.

You sound like a very busy person but there are people who do manage to balance the workload, whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
6.04%
Uncertainty around my education (91)
11.45%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (82)
10.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (101)
12.7%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.03%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.66%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (86)
10.82%
Financial worries (52)
6.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (36)
4.53%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.42%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (75)
9.43%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (63)
7.92%

Watched Threads