The Student Room Group

Economics Degree

Hi guys,

I am hoping to study economics at university possibly with the addition of maths or management, hopefully at Oxbridge or another top university. I was wondering what the best choice of A-levels would be:

1. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics

Which of these would give me the best shot at Oxbridge etc.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

:smile:
I'd go with Economics rather than Chemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by AOT
Hi guys,

I am hoping to study economics at university possibly with the addition of maths or management, hopefully at Oxbridge or another top university. I was wondering what the best choice of A-levels would be:

1. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics

Which of these would give me the best shot at Oxbridge etc.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

On the cambridge website, it says that maths is essential, but further maths and economics is useful. I think both combinations are fine, as long as you have maths, further maths and economics. It's up to whether you enjoy physics or chemistry more.
Reply 3
Please could you clarify as to why?

The chemistry department at my school is really good but the economics department is rubbish so I would appreciate what clarification you could give.

Reply 4
In my opinion you'd want to take economics so you KNOW it's the degree path you want to take.
drop further maths...take chemistry and economics.

or taste all first, then decide.
Reply 6
Original post by AOT

The chemistry department at my school is really good but the economics department is rubbish so I would appreciate what clarification you could give.

Well, an economics a level will help if you are considering an economics degree... I don't think chemistry will help your application though. Is your economics department really that bad? :confused:

As well as this, economics a level will give you a good indication of what economics is about...

I'd advise doing maths, further maths, economics. You can do whatever fourth option you like, because oxbridge only looks at your 3 most important a levels for their course.
Reply 7
Original post by zedeneye1
drop further maths...take chemistry and economics.

or taste all first, then decide.

Why drop further maths? :confused:
Original post by AOT

In my opinion economics at A level will still be easier than a science at A level, you need to use tutor2u for economics which is pretty much all you need to learn the content (plus some youtube videos here and then for some of the more difficult concepts) along with past paper practice, in short you can easily learn economics without the need of a good teacher as there are plenty of resources available.

If you are set on studying economics at uni, then I would suggest doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and any one of Chemistry/Physics. Alternatively if you aren't sure then you should do Maths, Economics, Physics and Chemistry as these keep your options open for a year, you can then pick up an AS in further maths (or even the full A2) the next year for economics should you decide that its the course you want to study.
Reply 9
OK thanks guys. How does Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics sound.

Thanks for all your help.

Original post by AOT
OK thanks guys. How does Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics sound.

Thanks for all your help.

It sounds perfect :smile:
2 is the best. I think maths, further maths, economics and history is the most popular choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YAPC
Why drop further maths? :confused:

It's a tough subject from what I've heard. Chemistry is easier. If you get chem, you get more time to learn some more econ on your own. Cuz further maths is kind of time consuming. If you learn some more econ on your free time, you get to know more about the subject and then you can find out if that really is what you want to study at university or wat....
Reply 13
obviously economics at a-level would help once you are doing a degree in the subject...
Reply 14
Original post by zedeneye1
It's a tough subject from what I've heard. Chemistry is easier. If you get chem, you get more time to learn some more econ on your own. Cuz further maths is kind of time consuming. If you learn some more econ on your free time, you get to know more about the subject and then you can find out if that really is what you want to study at university or wat....

Who knows? Some people find chemistry easy and some find it hard. If he enjoys chemistry, then fine. However, taking FM would give him a more realistic chance of getting into Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest