Substitution of an -OH with a halogen in an alcohol by hydrogen halides?

Watch
nonipaify
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
We were given two types of alcohols, one a phenolic (benzene ring with a hydroxyl group on position 1 and a hydrocarbon chain on position 4) and a similar looking cyclic alcohol which which was drawn looking exactly the same as the phenol but without the delocalisation ring i.e. there were extra hydrogens in it.

It asked which of the compounds would react with HBr. What is the reason the phenolic had no reaction but this other cyclic alcohol underwent a reaction? is it only the aliphatic and cyclic alcohols that undergo substitution of the -OH group? my teacher taught me that the halogenating agents such as phosphorus halides and thionyl chloride work by replacing the -OH group in ANY compound including water and carboxylic acids so why not in the phenolic? Hope my question is clear to you.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nonipaify)
We were given two types of alcohols, one a phenolic (benzene ring with a hydroxyl group on position 1 and a hydrocarbon chain on position 4) and a similar looking cyclic alcohol which which was drawn looking exactly the same as the phenol but without the delocalisation ring i.e. there were extra hydrogens in it.

It asked which of the compounds would react with HBr. What is the reason the phenolic had no reaction but this other cyclic alcohol underwent a reaction? is it only the aliphatic and cyclic alcohols that undergo substitution of the -OH group? my teacher taught me that the halogenating agents such as phosphorus halides and thionyl chloride work by replacing the -OH group in ANY compound including water and carboxylic acids so why not in the phenolic? Hope my question is clear to you.
The phenol has extra stability due to the interaction between the oxygen electron pairs and the benzene delocalised ring.

It preferentially loses the phenolic hydrogen making it acidic (carbolic acid)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (98)
62.03%
No (60)
37.97%

Watched Threads