Fluffystar123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!

I am doing History (Edexcel) for AS level starting in September.

I just want some opnions on how ineresting the following topics are and is there anything i should watch out for in terms of the techniques of answering the questions etc.

These are the following topics that we will be studying for AS level:

Unit 1 (Option D)

• Russia in Revolution, 1881-1924: From Autocracy to Dictatorship
  • Stalins Russia 1924-53

Unit 2 (Option D)

• Britain and the Nationalist Challange in India 1900-47

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Claros
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Russia in Revolution and Stalin's Russia. I found the most of the topics interesting apart from learning about the economy (in the first module it's about Sergei Witte's economic policy and some Bolshevik economic policies like the NEP. In the second unit you learn about industrialisation which is slightly more interesting). Exam technique is much different than at GCSE and you need to get used to the idea of writing essays in timed conditions (you have about 40 minutes to plan and complete a 30 mark question and there's two of them in the exam). It's important to start consolidation early and write extra notes from the text book as it's likely that your teacher is going to go through everything in detail. Keep your notes organised so it's easier to revise from when exam season comes up.

One thing I'd say is not to stress out too much, I panicked in my exam and ended up blanking so only got a C in the paper (I got a high A in the other unit and was frustratingly close to getting an A overall)

Hope this helps and if you have questions about what sort of topics you'll learn about I'll try and help you out.
bitofageek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Interested to hear your thoughts on it now, after a term. I'm doing the same as you at the moment. We've just finished Russia in Revolution and i really liked it. But We're about 1/3 the way through India and I find it really, really dull and the exam technique for it is so different to what I'm used to. I'm getting consistent As for Russia, but Have varied from an A to an E for India.
Ben4
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fluffystar123)
Hi!

I just want some opnions on how ineresting the following topics are and is there anything i should watch out for in terms of the techniques of answering the questions etc.

Unit 1 (Option D)

• Stalins Russia 1924-53

Unit 2 (Option D)

Thanks in advance
I am in year 12 doing edexcel history and funny enough i am studying all them topics! But i havent started stalin's russia yet. I find russia in revolution much more interesting but the exam is way more challenging. Britain and india is a source paper so you do not need to know a massive deal about the whole unit! I enjoy both units, and i am starting stalin's russia after christmas. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
anonlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did the Russia unit last year and got the equivalent to an A* in the paper.

Main advice is to keep the structure simple: literally PEEL (Point - make a basic point in one sentence, Evidence - give dates and figures which support your point, Explanation - explain your point in greater detail, Link - link your argument back to the question). At the end of each paragraph you should write a few lines of evaluation (however...).

Throughout the year keep a record of dates and figures - these really strengthen your argument and give you the high A-grades.
Ben4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by robhughes)
I did the Russia unit last year and got the equivalent to an A* in the paper.

Main advice is to keep the structure simple: literally PEEL (Point - make a basic point in one sentence, Evidence - give dates and figures which support your point, Explanation - explain your point in greater detail, Link - link your argument back to the question). At the end of each paragraph you should write a few lines of evaluation (however...).

Throughout the year keep a record of dates and figures - these really strengthen your argument and give you the high A-grades.
How would you say i should revise? I am basically doing record cards of significant events and their causes/consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anonlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ben4)
How would you say i should revise? I am basically doing record cards of significant events and their causes/consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used two revision guides to make detailed notes which I organised into the different topics, there's 4 on each side of the unit (8 in total).

You may as well start making notes as soon as possible so that your revision is relaxed rather than crammed - probably will help you remember it better as well. And once again it is important to note down dates and figures as they give you the top grades.

If your teacher isn't setting you essays regularly enough, you may as well do some practice ones if you have time - this will help you to get a good structure.

^ Seems like a lot but if you spread it out over a few months it's really not so bad. Keep reading over your notes and you'll be fine
Adam171014
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bitofageek)
Interested to hear your thoughts on it now, after a term. I'm doing the same as you at the moment. We've just finished Russia in Revolution and i really liked it. But We're about 1/3 the way through India and I find it really, really dull and the exam technique for it is so different to what I'm used to. I'm getting consistent As for Russia, but Have varied from an A to an E for India.
I'm doing Civil Rights 45-68 in America and India...
India is piss boring.
Ben4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by robhughes)
I used two revision guides to make detailed notes which I organised into the different topics, there's 4 on each side of the unit (8 in total).

You may as well start making notes as soon as possible so that your revision is relaxed rather than crammed - probably will help you remember it better as well. And once again it is important to note down dates and figures as they give you the top grades.

If your teacher isn't setting you essays regularly enough, you may as well do some practice ones if you have time - this will help you to get a good structure.

^ Seems like a lot but if you spread it out over a few months it's really not so bad. Keep reading over your notes and you'll be fine
Thanks for the advise! What kind of revision guide did you use? I heard the myrevisionnotes ones are good

Posted from TSR Mobile
HeyThereItsKate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We're doing the same units. It's taken us the whole Autumn term to finish India, and I have no idea how we're going to do the whole of Russia!
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fluffystar123)
Hi!

Unit 1 (Option D)

• Stalins Russia 1924-53

Unit 2 (Option D)

Thanks in advance
I'm doing the same Unit 2 as you, so if you want to chat about it, drop me a PM!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads