Need help with war film scenes.

Watch
PetePeterson1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys!

For my film studies A2 coursework we have to do a presentation on pretty much anything to do with films as long as it has a key theme.

As a summer project our teacher has given us all a random topic to do a presentation on to ready ourselves for the real thing, mine was war films. He suggested doing the key themes of war films and how they are created which were narrowed down to Heroics,Cowardice&Friendship.

The only problem is, i don't watch war films!
Never really liked them which makes this project that much harder.

So can people please put forward some scenes from war films which display Heroics,Cowardice and friendship please?

Thank you so much!

Peter
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PetePeterson1)
Hey guys!

For my film studies A2 coursework we have to do a presentation on pretty much anything to do with films as long as it has a key theme.

As a summer project our teacher has given us all a random topic to do a presentation on to ready ourselves for the real thing, mine was war films. He suggested doing the key themes of war films and how they are created which were narrowed down to Heroics,Cowardice&Friendship.

So can people please put forward some scenes from war films which display Heroics,Cowardice and friendship please?

Thank you so much!

Peter
Start with Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan (in that order).
PetePeterson1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
Start with Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan (in that order).

Any scenes from those two in particular?
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you'll be wanting to watch the full length of those two films in particular.

Oh, the Vietnam scene in Forrest Gump is a tick for heroics and friendship.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Opening scene of Saving Private Ryan.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Saving Private Ryan is a must. Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead, too.
Prandtl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You might want to try Paths of Glory and The Deer Hunter too. Both fit one or two of the themes you mention :yy:
Booyah
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys!

Thank you so much!

Peter
I would watch War of the Worlds, Reign of Fire and also Independence Day.

Whilst not strictly war films as you think it still has all of those elements and it would be a little different to what people would normally think about
IMakeSenseToNone
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thumbs up for Paths of Glory as a discussion on cowardice in war. Good call.

All Quiet on the Western Front is all but essential for any discussion of the war genre as well and the brotherhood within it. Lawerence of Arabia would be an important one for heroics in leadership, as is Sergeant York which is very patriotic and really goes for depiciting the American heroic ideals in wartime.

But really though you need to watch them. Just one inidividual scene won't give you the depth and nuances that providing the context would bring which gets you the good marks.
9DennyJ
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Born On The Fourth Of July and Apocalypse Now.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys!

Thank you so much!

Peter
Given that Dickie Attenborough has just died, can I put a word in for his first film, In Which We Serve. This is the classic British stiff upper lip war film with a stellar cast including Attenborough as the snivelling coward who comes good in the end.

The cast eventually racked up two peerages, two knighthoods, one damehood and an OBE whilst the producer was a baronet, the co-director was knighted and the cinematographer received a CBE.

This film was made whilst WWII was underway. I would like to mention four other films, three made during WWII and one in 1956, all four by the same producer and director. The straightforward narrative is The Battle of the River Plate made in 1956. 49th Parallel, A Canterbury Tale and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp are anything but straightforward narratives.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All the above are good suggestions. But I would try to avoid The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty at all costs.
PetePeterson1
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for the suggestions guys!

Is there any particular scenes from said films that show such values? (Cowardice,Heroism,Friendship)

With 2 days left to do it it will obviously be a little bit hard to view all the films

Cheers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (40)
22.99%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (84)
48.28%
I'm unsure (50)
28.74%

Watched Threads