Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Well to start with. Think of the legal system and framework. The anglo-saxons came up with the idea of a judge making a decision within a community, and that decision becoming 'law'. They even came up with the word 'law' derived from the latin word. Then the normans came along and took over, but with this came certain good things. Such as the god fearing mentality, and thus you now swear on the bible that you will "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god" when testifying in court.

Just a suggestion, but its a rich historical field
    Sorry to be pedantic, but the Modern English word 'law' is actually a loanword from Norse - the Old English for 'law' was 'æ'. The term 'law' is cognate - I believe - with the Latin 'lex', but it is definitely not derived from Latin. The idea of legislating per se does date back the the Anglo-Saxon period - in Celtic tradition kings could not legislate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Sorry to be pedantic, but the Modern English word 'law' is actually a loanword from Norse - the Old English for 'law' was 'æ'. The term 'law' is cognate - I believe - with the Latin 'lex', but it is definitely not derived from Latin. The idea of legislating per se does date back the the Anglo-Saxon period - in Celtic tradition kings could not legislate.
    Oh, could you tell me a bit more about about Anglo-Saxon/Celtic law? I'm reading a book on History of Law at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    OK Ive changed my topic for my major, its now Comapring burial rituals of the Egyptians and the rituals of Etruria. Anyone know any good sites on The Etruscans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    OK Ive changed my topic for my major, its now Comapring burial rituals of the Egyptians and the rituals of Etruria. Anyone know any good sites on The Etruscans?
    Hm, I'm afraid I don't But I could tell you stuff about the Egyptians... most of it is well known anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, The Egyptians are the easy ones. Ah well, Ive got a few books on Etruria ive yet to open!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Hm, I'm afraid I don't But I could tell you stuff about the Egyptians... most of it is well known anyway.
    I'm going to Egypt VERY soon

Sorry about that...am very excited

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you! :mad: Have fun, tell us about it when you come back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Yeah, The Egyptians are the easy ones. Ah well, Ive got a few books on Etruria ive yet to open!
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Etruscans heavily influenced by the Greeks? So maybe their burying rituals might be similar to the Greek ones? Not very helpful, I know... I find this quite interesting myself actually! Tell me what you find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I'm going to Egypt VERY soon

Sorry about that...am very excited
    Really??? where abouts are you going?

I only ask because I will also be going to egypt shortly. Like yourself... i can not wait!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt the cat)
    Really??? where abouts are you going?

I only ask because I will also be going to egypt shortly. Like yourself... i can not wait!!!
    HAHA very funny-

ReputationRep:
    Can I get back on the topc of Personal Studies..?

I am considering my topic.... A few of my friends about writing about the Witchcraft in 1600's, and I may do my study on Charles I OR II. Need to do a bit of reading to finalise who & what topic I'm doing though....

What are other Year 12's (Now Year 13's) going to do theirs on...?

ReputationRep:
    I am probably goin to do mine on when Asquith was disposed for Lloyd George in 1916- probably the cause of it- like how far did Lloyd George stab him in the back, may do the long term causes to the Liberal party though, not sure completely, but definitely on political history.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine on the influence of Joseph Chamberlain's ideas about the British Empire on British politics, sounds a bit exotic, I know. It was a bit unusual, which was both a good and a bad thing, but I got an A in the end. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm happy to help people with theirs, I still have all my stuff. I did mine with AQA, I'm not sure what the regulations for other boards are but I can give general advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safc26)
    I am probably goin to do mine on when Asquith was disposed for Lloyd George in 1916- probably the cause of it- like how far did Lloyd George stab him in the back, may do the long term causes to the Liberal party though, not sure completely, but definitely on political history.
    I like that, two people in my class dod that topic, it seems to be quite popular and it's still an issue amongst historians as well!! And probably always will be :rolleyes:
    Political history is good, especially for personal studies, go for it

ReputationRep:
    everyone's personal studies sounds so intellectual compared to mine i don't want to do Chamberlain, Salisbury, Thatcher or anything on Wars, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, as i've already done this in History and politics. I want to go totally off topic.
    I had thought about Queen Elizabeth the first and attitudes of marriage or Lee harvey Oswald (where there is enought info on him, lol)

or LG and Asquith! I'm going to be spending a year on this, i don't want it to be boring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    everyone's personal studies sounds so intellectual compared to mine i don't want to do Chamberlain, Salisbury, Thatcher or anything on Wars, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, as i've already done this in History and politics. I want to go totally off topic.
    I had thought about Queen Elizabeth the first and attitudes of marriage or Lee harvey Oswald (where there is enought info on him, lol)
    Hehe, what's wrong with those? It's good of you to go off topic and do something different! I told you what I thought about Oswald... Unfortunately I don't know anything about Elizabeth I. and attitudes on marriage...

ReputationRep:
    could i not do something about the media and how it's develpoed? hmmm..sounds a bit sad really
    what is the fundamental difference between philisophical and historical debates?

ReputationRep:
    could i not do something about the media and how it's develpoed? hmmm..sounds a bit sad really
    what is the fundamental difference between philisophical and historical debates?
    First idea: Hm, too vague I think... But: How about: "To what extent did the use of (new) media help establish and foster dictatorships?" That should be fun, you can find loads of stuff... Ah but you didn't want to do dictatorships... Hmm... D'Oh!

Second idea: No...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    First idea: Hm, too vague I think... But: How about: "To what extent did the use of (new) media help establish and foster dictatorships?" That should be fun, you can find loads of stuff... Ah but you didn't want to do dictatorships... Hmm... D'Oh!

Second idea: No...
    i like focusing on one particular person. But that does sound good. Just have to find a dictator who was actually interesting, lol. There's alot of wierd ones tho:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i like focusing on one particular person. But that does sound good. Just have to find a dictator who was actually interesting, lol. There's alot of wierd ones tho:rolleyes:
    Well, I thought you could compare Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini's use of the media... But that's not controversial enough... You can't just tell the examiner something they know already... But still it's worth thinking about. We'll find you a decent topic!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.