Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    what did people doyou experience so they had a good prospect of getting in unis?
    sorry? i dont think i understand the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    Don't know where to post this, but seeing as you're all History buffs you might be able to make sense of it!

Basically, I'm quite interested in the Ancient and Early Kings of England, and I got this list off the internet ages ago where it lists the kings of Wessex, Mercia, Kent, East Anglia, Essex, and Northumbria (which is sub divided into Deira and Bernica)

Why was Northumbria subdivided, and how did these two get their nams? Where is Merica? And by 954 AD some one called 'King Eadwig' was the first one to be rulling all of the counties - what did he do that let him do this?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a textbook about ancient royalty?

you should look at the ancient history and medieval book club website
    www.ancienthistory.co.uk
    dont know about textbooks but they have plenty of litrature on ancient royalty

ReputationRep:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    sorry? i dont think i understand the question
    sorry, I noticed that didn't make a whole lot of sense,

what work experience did people do to help them look better the peeps at interviews for uni?

ReputationRep:

what work experience did people do to help them look better the peeps at interviews for uni?
    ahh...i didnt do any extra work experience but in year 10 I went to the County Gazette (our county's newspaper) for a week, so wrote that. Im also editor/journalist for a youth magazine in our borough so I wrote that. and I talked about my job too

where r u applying - I take it its for history?

ReputationRep:

It's very hard to get work experience related to History, like I told you and it might not be worth it, better to look in a different field, like Charlord did, journalism for example.

ReputationRep:
    ahh...i didnt do any extra work experience but in year 10 I went to the County Gazette (our county's newspaper) for a week, so wrote that. Im also editor/journalist for a youth magazine in our borough so I wrote that. and I talked about my job too

where r u applying - I take it its for history?
    what like uni? I'm only in year 11 so haven't thought that far, but for work experience I applied to a history museum, which I'm working at over the summer!

ReputationRep:
    what like uni? I'm only in year 11 so haven't thought that far, but for work experience I applied to a history museum, which I'm working at over the summer!
    ahh i thought you meant that you were applying to uni - hehe - oops

Hmmmm, should i join? History is my favourite subject but i'm not too keen about being in a society, what's actually the point of it?

ReputationRep:
    ahh i thought you meant that you were applying to uni - hehe - oops
    well I feel like I am as my work experience is in a museum in a uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Hmmmm, should i join? History is my favourite subject but i'm not too keen about being in a society, what's actually the point of it?
    Well, the point is to meet people who share the same interest and discuss historical topics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Since there are some other subject societies about, I thought it would be fitting to have a UKL History Society. I know a few people will be interested, so if you want to join, please reply or pm me. Everyone who's interested in History is welcome, not just those studying it at school or at university.
    Hey, count me in, I'll gladly join. I love history.. expecially greek and egyptian. Add me to your soc.. I'd love to learn from so many knowledgeable people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Hey, count me in, I'll gladly join. I love history.. expecially greek and egyptian. Add me to your soc.. I'd love to learn from so many knowledgeable people.
    ooo what do you know about greek? Can you pm me, as I'm studying greeks for a museum thingy

ReputationRep:
    ooo what do you know about greek? Can you pm me, as I'm studying greeks for a museum thingy
    can do

ReputationRep:
    I was watching something on tv a while ago! I think it was Terry Jones' medieval history or something and he was on about the fact that we had a French king who conquered England for about a year. I was wondering if anyone studying history at uni could tell me more about what actually happened because it seems fascinating.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    I was watching something on tv a while ago! I think it was Terry Jones' medieval history or something and he was on about the fact that we had a French king who conquered England for about a year. I was wondering if anyone studying history at uni could tell me more about what actually happened because it seems fascinating.

Thanks
    If no one answers you, do a google or a dogpile search. If that is indeed true, you're bound to find something about it on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)

Thanks
    Was this king's name Louis I.? In my history book it says that Louis I., called Le Pieux (the devout) did not conquer any land... he ruled the kingdom of Aquitaine and lived between 778-840 AD.

Could you give us a rough time frame?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    what question would be a good one to pose on the French Rev. as i haven't studied this subject at all just thought it would be interesting as i have never done it.
    what about one that draws on more socio-cultural approaches to the french revolution as this would show some originality to the assessor. how about something on the disperate and changing (re)conceptualisations of concepts such as class, power and nation. Or how about something on the seularisation of political culture during the revolution? or something on the visual lexicon and imagery used to represent the republic and how these invited and yet constrained how people interpreted the revolution?

erm actually just thought, is this for university or before? i may have been a bit premature in my answer! sorry

ReputationRep:
    ok this is probably a long shot, and im expecting a negative answer, but in their travells, is it possible someone has come across Primary Sources about Etruscan burial?

Thats the only thing that is driving me bonkers!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    what about one that draws on more socio-cultural approaches to the french revolution as this would show some originality to the assessor. how about something on the disperate and changing (re)conceptualisations of concepts such as class, power and nation. Or how about something on the seularisation of political culture during the revolution? or something on the visual lexicon and imagery used to represent the republic and how these invited and yet constrained how people interpreted the revolution?

erm actually just thought, is this for university or before? i may have been a bit premature in my answer! sorry
    That's for her A2 personal study... 3000 words... That's the problem...

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.