The UKL History Society (UKL HistSoc) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Er...Mesopotamia is a geogrphical area, not a civilisation (it would thus be equivalent to Europeans, rather than Romans, or Celts).

Pretty hard topic though. Depends on your definition of civilisaiton. I'm going to take a cop out, and say that because this is a history forum and implicilty relies on some form of record keeping, it's going to be the first group of people to use writing. By that definition, however, it's likely we don't know about the world's first civilisation, because another group which had spent more time making spears than devising advanced methods of communication killed them and destroyed all their writings. The oldest one I do know of, however, would be the Babylonians.
Good point. Really isn't my area I'm afraid, but from reading through the thread, it would appear that many people have an interest in ancient history Do you think there is anything to be said of the supposed 'Isle of Moo' that is off the coast of China submerged about 300ft below the sea? I saw a documentary about it once, but always had this feeling that it just wasn't quite real. I mean sure they showed what was obviously part of an ancient rock temple sort of thing (similar to the Mayans) but the claim that this was the worlds first civilisation just didn't seem to ring true.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Er...Mesopotamia is a geogrphical area, not a civilisation (it would thus be equivalent to Europeans, rather than Romans, or Celts).

Pretty hard topic though. Depends on your definition of civilisaiton. I'm going to take a cop out, and say that because this is a history forum and implicilty relies on some form of record keeping, it's going to be the first group of people to use writing. By that definition, however, it's likely we don't know about the world's first civilisation, because another group which had spent more time making spears than devising advanced methods of communication killed them and destroyed all their writings. The oldest one I do know of, however, would be the Babylonians.
I wouldnt say Babylon, if any Sumarian city id say it was Akkad. which was 3000-4000 BC, Babylon at that point in time was not as advanced as it neighbour.
LH
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think the History Society should move to the Academic forum.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I think the History Society should move to the Academic forum.
Agreed
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Guys, Ive noticed that a lot of us span over which areas of History we are good at, perhaps we should make a list incase we ever need to contact one particular person about something.

Me, Im an Ancient,
Specialty is Rome, Ancient Mesopotamian reigion, Carthage, Egypt, Etruria, not that crash hot on Greece, but still there. Pretty Good at most mythology of these civilisations.

Also Australian Colonial History. Thats it, I think...
manps
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Id like to join please
nooneknows
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd really like to join!

I'm just about to do my history AS and I'm carrying on to A2 next year. At the moment I don't know whether I'll study it at uni or shift towards politics, but either way I love the subject! I'm especially interested in political and military history.
EmJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd like to join, too. I did History for GCSE and AS, but had to drop it this year.
But History is my first love...
Fly By
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i want to join!!
G.A.K
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Could i join aswell please?
I really like History - even though it can be hard.
I am going to do As and probably A2, i do GCSE now!
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Another who would wish to join here! I'm well on my way to spectacularly missing my A in A2 History, costing me my place at Oxford in the process. Joining this prestigious organisation will at least make me feel better!!
EmJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by teamvillage)
Another who would wish to join here! I'm well on my way to spectacularly missing my A in A2 History, costing me my place at Oxford in the process. Joining this prestigious organisation will at least make me feel better!!
Which college are you going to and for which subject?
Good luck with the revision.
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Welcome to all new members Great see some of the French Society people! What are everyone historical interests?
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by teamvillage)
Welcome, mate. I'm sorry to hear it, how can we help you?
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In a deseperate attempt to stimulate discussion...
Historiography: Have you heard of it? Do you at least think you know what it means? Do you think it's a worthy pursuit? Do you devote any time to it? Any particular interesting perspectives on it (be it a movement or a specific author)?
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by EmJ)
Which college are you going to and for which subject?
Good luck with the revision.
(Hypothetically of course) I'm off to St Catz to read Law, although C's and D-'s in recent history mocks don't fill me with encouragement (although the D- was later changed to an A when the teacher realised he wrote the question so badly) Still it scared me!!
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
alas! I ask again, to all current members and new ones, What is your area of history? That way if anyone has a question either form the society or outside, they know exactly who to ask.
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
alas! I ask again, to all current members and new ones, What is your area of history? That way if anyone has a question either form the society or outside, they know exactly who to ask.
WW2, USSR (Rev-WW2), British Empire
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
Medieval: Norman Conquest, Crusades, Charlemagne, Byzantine Empire.
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
please may i join...i am doing history for A level
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (399)
91.72%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (36)
8.28%

Watched Threads