The Student Room Group

Advice for my a levels

hello there, im starting my a levels soon and i want to succeed in all of them.

any advice on how to as these are my subs

maths stats
geography
ict
psychology

cheers
I did Maths (Edexcel including S1) and Psychology (AQA A) so here's some tips for those!

Maths:
- Don't let yourself fall behind, everything just adds on to what you've already learned. If you don't understand something, make the effort to understand it by the next day.
- Split your notes into 'explaining how to do a calculation' and 'practising a type of calculation', then toss the practice notes because they're pretty useless and will end up taking up too much room.
- Do Solomon papers/worksheets
- Specifically for stats: even when it seems easy, do lots of practice questions because they like to mess around with the wording in ways you don't expect.

Psychology:
- Start revising from the very beginning of the year (method of loci works best for me) as there is lots and lots to remember.
- Self marking practice papers is almost impossible to do accurately, so get a teacher to mark them for you.
- Plan for all possible 12 markers, you don't need to memorise them, just have a rough idea what you'd cover in each. Also, practise writing them in timed conditions (15-20 mins).
- Don't skimp on research methods. They seem easy but people lose a lot of marks because they don't bother revising research methods and then a longer question comes up and they can only get down the basic stuff.
- Don't waffle too much, but also don't be too concise. The spaces given by the exam paper are pretty good predictors of how much to write, if you go way over you're probably wasting time.
Reply 2
ok cheers mate

Quick Reply

Latest