SoftMusk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I wanted to know what's the best degree to do between just accounting/accountancy or accounting and finance and what's the difference?

A teacher once told me that choosing something like accounting and finance (with two subjects) may look weak to employers because it is quite broad but then I actually think it's better to study accounting and finance rather than just accounting?? :confused:

Help!

Thanks (plus rep!)
MahmoodReza
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're thinking of going into accountancy as a career then to a large extent the degree is not largely relevant (the class will be). Most employers would expect you to do a professional qualification, of which there is largely a choice of 4. My advice would be to a broad mix, if your choice is limited to the 2 you put forward, then do AC & finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
SoftMusk
Rep:
?
(Original post by MahmoodReza)
If you're thinking of going into accountancy as a career then to a large extent the degree is not largely relevant (the class will be). Most employers would expect you to do a professional qualification, of which there is largely a choice of 4. My advice would be to a broad mix, if your choice is limited to the 2 you put forward, then do AC & finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Yesterday I was comparing modules and I saw that the accountancy degree has finance modules within in and many people actually choose to pursue the accountancy route as it has elements of business, marketing, finance and accounting...

I'm really confused now..
MahmoodReza
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unfortunately some courses can be misleading in their descriptions. The one containing "business, marketing, finance and accounting" seems a good mix
poiuytrewq54321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Accounting and Finance are both interrelated so thats why most universities will offer Accounting and Finance rather than just Accounting/Accountancy. For example in finance you'll learn about things like investment appraisal e.g. net present value which is needed to understand leases in accounting.

Saying that it really doesn't matter which one you go with as accounting firms are more interested on your final grade than the course. I know someone who has done a law degree and is now working at a top 4 accounting firm.
SoftMusk
Rep:
?
Unfortunately some courses can be misleading in their descriptions. The one containing "business, marketing, finance and accounting" seems a good mix

(Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
Accounting and Finance are both interrelated so thats why most universities will offer Accounting and Finance rather than just Accounting/Accountancy. For example in finance you'll learn about things like investment appraisal e.g. net present value which is needed to understand leases in accounting.

Saying that it really doesn't matter which one you go with as accounting firms are more interested on your final grade than the course. I know someone who has done a law degree and is now working at a top 4 accounting firm.
Thank you for your replies! I've decided to go for Accountancy!
kingquang
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by poiuytrewq54321)

Do the employers teach you stuff when you are working for them? I am currently doing A&F, but none of my modules are about taxation or British laws, which I am afraid is going to limit my opportunities if I want to work with tax for Big 4.
poiuytrewq54321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kingquang)
Do the employers teach you stuff when you are working for them? I am currently doing A&F, but none of my modules are about taxation or British laws, which I am afraid is going to limit my opportunities if I want to work with tax for Big 4.
Sorry I'm not working at an accounting firm yet (going into my final year) so won't be able to answer that question accurately. But from what I've heard from others is that most of the stuff that you'll learn at university will not be useful and so you'll have to learn on the job. The things you learn at university will be most helpful when working towards the accounting qualification. I'm sure they will give you training though that seems to be the norm at any company you work at.

Also I don't think the modules you do will have any impact on the opportunities that are available to you. The final degree grade you get will be more important.
MahmoodReza
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you get a training contract with the big 4 you will learn tax, law etc when you do your professional qualification. Please note that there are thousands of firms that offer training contacts (relevant if you want to ICAEW, ACCA), and thousands of organisations that enable you to gain a recognised professional accounting qualification - the degree class plus what else you do in addition at Uni is the more important.
An accounting degree is not a pre-requsite
kingquang
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you get a training contract with the big 4 you will learn tax, law etc when you do your professional qualification. Please note that there are thousands of firms that offer training contacts (relevant if you want to ICAEW, ACCA), and thousands of organisations that enable you to gain a recognised professional accounting qualification - the degree class plus what else you do in addition at Uni is the more important.
An accounting degree is not a pre-requsite
Thanks for clarifying that.

I hope the norm is the same in my country, as I wish to study there after finishing my degree.
MahmoodReza
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Kingquang
it is pretty much the same, wherever you are in the world - which country are you from by the way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?