The Student Room Group

Choosing my IB subjects for Law

Hi guys im new here, and i just started my first year of IB and i should choose my subjects.
Im aiming for International Law or Business Law in University, there are my subjects that ive chosen so far.

History HL
Business HL
DT HL
English A standard
Math Studies
Arabic Ab inisho (or whoever you spell it).
The only reason i can't take English as my HL because i don't want. my questions are:
Are these the subjects im suppose to take for law?
Do universities in the UK accept for me taking these subjects?
Am i suppose to take math standard? cause i see no point in taking math standard.
Does not take english HL affect anything even though History is HL?
pleaseee answer.
Reply 1
Original post by basharkhalil
hi guys im new here, and i just started my first year of ib and i should choose my subjects.
Im aiming for international law or business law in university, there are my subjects that ive chosen so far.

History hl
business hl
dt hl
english a standard
math studies
arabic ab inisho (or whoever you spell it).
The only reason i can't take english as my hl because i don't want. My questions are:
Are these the subjects im suppose to take for law?
Do universities in the uk accept for me taking these subjects?
Am i suppose to take math standard? Cause i see no point in taking math standard.
Does not take english hl affect anything even though history is hl?
Pleaseee answer.

can someonee pleasee help me! It's important i have till tomorrow!
Well firstly I'll give the standard answer which is check University websites but here's my personal 2 cents:

Uni will look at Maths SL as being like AS Maths. Having it will show a varied skill set which is always useful. But if you're really bad at maths then it's not worth losing points over.

History is a great subject to take but DT, as I'm sure you know, isn't quite relevant. You might be better off taking a more conventional science option. Or even Environmental Systems and Societies which, I'm told, has some relevancy to Law and Land Economy. If you definitely don't want to take English then Economics, Philosophy and Classics are all great subjects for prospective law students.
Reply 3
Original post by RayApparently
Well firstly I'll give the standard answer which is check University websites but here's my personal 2 cents:

Uni will look at Maths SL as being like AS Maths. Having it will show a varied skill set which is always useful. But if you're really bad at maths then it's not worth losing points over.

History is a great subject to take but DT, as I'm sure you know, isn't quite relevant. You might be better off taking a more conventional science option. Or even Environmental Systems and Societies which, I'm told, has some relevancy to Law and Land Economy. If you definitely don't want to take English then Economics, Philosophy and Classics are all great subjects for prospective law students.

I suck at math, if i take math studies does that mean i have a really low chance in getting accepted for law? the one reason im taking DT because i just im suppose too chose one of the sciences (Physics,Bio,Chem,DT) and i can't take it as a standard. Because im Arabic Ab inisho, were everyone in art stream took there third higher as English B higher. which i can't take so DT was chosen randomly because it was the easiest for me. thats why i can't take economics higher.
now that im taking english A standard is their still a chance for an acceptance?
So to sum things up.
these are my subjects:
English A SL
Arabic Ab inisho
Math Studies
History HL
Business HL
DT HL.
Am i sett off good now, do these subjects qualify for law? or not at all.
and what do you think is more important to law Bus, or eco?
im sorry for asking too many questions but im confused as hell at the time.
Original post by Basharkhalil
I suck at math, if i take math studies does that mean i have a really low chance in getting accepted for law? the one reason im taking DT because i just im suppose too chose one of the sciences (Physics,Bio,Chem,DT) and i can't take it as a standard. Because im Arabic Ab inisho, were everyone in art stream took there third higher as English B higher. which i can't take so DT was chosen randomly because it was the easiest for me. thats why i can't take economics higher.
now that im taking english A standard is their still a chance for an acceptance?
So to sum things up.
these are my subjects:
English A SL
Arabic Ab inisho
Math Studies
History HL
Business HL
DT HL.
Am i sett off good now, do these subjects qualify for law? or not at all.
and what do you think is more important to law Bus, or eco?
im sorry for asking too many questions but im confused as hell at the time.

Ultimately it depends on where you want to study but I would say Economics is a better bet than Business. I've also heard it is very interesting.

You wouldn't be at a disadvantage picking Maths Studies. Top Universities only really expect Maths GCSE grade C from law students.

Technically there are no required subjects and you've got an essay subject in History - you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending