The Student Room Group

How to get straight A's and A*s

I really want to get straight A's and A*s in my gcse's this year, please can you guys give me tips on how to achieve my goal. I was pleased with my end of year 10 results I got :

English- reading A
Writing C (messed up a bit)
Maths- B
Biology- A*
Physics-A
Chemistry-A
Religious studies- A
Textiles- A*
French- reading-C (did foundation paper so highest I could get was a C
Writing-D

I really really want all A's and A* s at the end of year 11

Any advise?

Scroll to see replies

Do you know your learning style?
This is taken from my profile with regards to revision:

The trick to getting decent grades is proper revision. This doesn't mean cramming the entire textbook into your head, nor turning your bedroom into some sort of post-it note modern art installation. The key to revision is to remember that you're revising for an exam, and all exams have a 'rubric'. There are certain things you have to do in an exam that you wouldn't if answering questions in another context. You have to know the mark scheme inside out. The best essay in the world won't get you an A* if you haven't properly hit AO3 on the mark scheme. Know which questions require you to do which, and which key words ask for the different AOs (this is for essay subjects). Otherwise you'll be wasting time in the exam writing stuff that isn't getting any marks. Look at old examination reports by the chief examiner. They'll highlight some of the common mistakes and have good advice for future candidates.

Past papers are absolutely your friend. In Science/Maths, you need to consistently be getting As in your practice/past papers without checking your notes at all. If you're not consistently getting an A in past papers, you won't get an A in the exam. Essay subjects are a bit different - chances are you can't mark your own papers accurately, although you'll still be able to check them against the mark scheme. Firstly, get your teacher to mark as many past papers as they are willing to. Secondly, focus on getting used to writing an essay in the time available during an exam. Time is perhaps the biggest constraint in essay subjects. Thirdly, plan ahead; you can normally predict to some degree what questions are going to come up. There's only so many questions they can ask, because the syllabus is only so big. Create model essay plans, and perhaps even try writing a couple that you think are most likely to come up (ones that haven't come up in recent years). Planning in advance will save you 5 minutes at the start of the exam, and the plan will probably be better than what you could produce in the exam off the top of your head.

However, revision is only half the battle. You also have to use your lessons effectively. If you leave a classroom still confused about the topic, then that was a bad lesson and normally means you've wasted it. Unless you asked the teacher questions until they started getting pissed off with you, you've learnt poorly in that lesson. And if you have done that, go over the content of the lesson soon afterwards until you understand it properly.

If you learn properly during the year, revision becomes so much easier, and you won't have to do as much of it.
I finished year 11 with 3 Bs and the rest As and A*s in my GCSEs. What worked best for me was exam specifications. Don't underestimate them -- they literally tell you exactly what you need to know. Some of my teachers printed them off and handed them around during revision sessions, but they're pretty easy to find on exam board websites.

Take advantage of after-school or weekend revision sessions. I didn't do this enough. That, and start revising early on! Don't leave everything to exam season because it piles up quicker than you would have thought. Retaining small bits of information over a longer period of time is recommended, especially as you may have more than one exam on any given day, and cramming two subjects' worth the night before, in my experience, is obviously not a good tactic.

Lastly, you obviously have the motivation to get what you want, which is essential in itself. But don't stress. All As will give you more UCAS points and open up all A-level/post-GCSE options, but people do best at what they enjoy. Don't worry if you find you're not equally good at everything, because the aim of GCSEs is to help you to choose what you want to do after school from what you're best at and what you enjoyed the most.

Work hard, do your best, listen to your teachers and you will do great. Good luck and well done. :-)
Reply 4
For subjects such as the sciences, I'd recommend going over the syllabus and briefly going over anything that you don't know so that you have a bit of understanding of it. However, early on in the year I would only recommend getting an understanding of everything and then when you are like 2 months from your exams, making your own revision notes for the three sciences. Anything you missed from your revision notes, just go over it again and then include them once you fully understand what you have missed. Personally, I used word to make revision notes for each of the three sciences so it was easy to edit/add something I've missed.

For Maths, it's simple, practice. Make a list of all the type of questions that are included in the Maths paper ( Trigonometry, Pythagoras theorem etc) and then answer questions on each type of question until it becomes natural to you. Make sure you include your working out.

The English Language exam is one where you can learn techniques for each of the questions, you just have to memorize the techniques and then apply them. For the writing section, make sure you make use of the language devices. Personally, I used AFOREST (Alliteration, Facts, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive language, Statistics and Triplets.) and ticked them off in my head once I had included them in my writing piece.

You are already working at an A in Religious Studies so I'm presuming you know what to do. Just remember to give four good points followed by explanations for each one in order to achieve full marks on the 8 mark questions.

Hope this helped.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume
This is taken from my profile with regards to revision:

However, revision is only half the battle. You also have to use your lessons effectively. If you leave a classroom still confused about the topic, then that was a bad lesson and normally means you've wasted it. Unless you asked the teacher questions until they started getting pissed off with you, you've learnt poorly in that lesson. And if you have done that, go over the content of the lesson soon afterwards until you understand it properly.

If you learn properly during the year, revision becomes so much easier, and you won't have to do as much of it.

Thanks for the advice:smile: I don't understand how you are meant to learn mark schemes because a lot of people say that bit I don't understand how they help as every past paper has a different mark sche
Reply 6
Original post by 1004v
I finished year 11 with 3 Bs and the rest As and A*s in my GCSEs. What worked best for me was exam specifications. Don't underestimate them -- they literally tell you exactly what you need to know. Some of my teachers printed them off and handed them around during revision sessions, but they're pretty easy to find on exam board websites.

Take advantage of after-school or weekend revision sessions. I didn't do this enough. That, and start revising early on! Don't leave everything to exam season because it piles up quicker than you would have thought. Retaining small bits of information over a longer period of time is recommended, especially as you may have more than one exam on any given day, and cramming two subjects' worth the night before, in my experience, is obviously not a good tactic.

Lastly, you obviously have the motivation to get what you want, which is essential in itself. But don't stress. All As will give you more UCAS points and open up all A-level/post-GCSE options, but people do best at what they enjoy. Don't worry if you find you're not equally good at everything, because the aim of GCSEs is to help you to choose what you want to do after school from what you're best at and what you enjoyed the most.

Work hard, do your best, listen to your teachers and you will do great. Good luck and well done. :-)

Thanks for the advice :smile: when you said exam specifications worked best for you what do you mean did you memorise them ?
Original post by Blue230699
Thanks for the advice:smile: I don't understand how you are meant to learn mark schemes because a lot of people say that bit I don't understand how they help as every past paper has a different mark sche

Mark schemes are often very similar, though. For essay subjects, they will contain exactly the same 'bands' and for science subjects, the same answers come up every year.
Thanks for the advice :smile: when you said exam specifications worked best for you what do you mean did you memorise them ?

They gave me an overview of what the exam boards were looking for and what to focus on during revision, so that I'd be able to use my revision guides/the internet to look up what I didn't understand and to make sure I knew exactly what they wanted me to know -- keywords, techniques, facts -- if those topics came up in the exam.

Also, examiners' reports and past papers really helped when it came to essay-based subjects. Examiners' reports showed where past students had gone wrong and what they should have done, so that I could make sure I wouldn't make the same mistake, and past papers showed what in the syllabus had come up before, e.g. I studied a cluster of about 15 poems, so I focused primarily on the poems which hadn't come up before. :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 1004v
They gave me an overview of what the exam boards were looking for and what to focus on during revision, so that I'd be able to use my revision guides/the internet to look up what I didn't understand and to make sure I knew exactly what they wanted me to know -- keywords, techniques, facts -- if those topics came up in the exam.

Also, examiners' reports and past papers really helped when it came to essay-based subjects. Examiners' reports showed where past students had gone wrong and what they should have done, so that I could make sure I wouldn't make the same mistake, and past papers showed what in the syllabus had come up before, e.g. I studied a cluster of about 15 poems, so I focused primarily on the poems which hadn't come up before. :-)

thanks for for helping I really appreciate it :smile: did the poems that hadn't come up before come up on your real exams
thanks for for helping I really appreciate it :smile: did the poems that hadn't come up before come up on your real exams

No problem. :-)

Yeah, I was right and the exam turned out to be about two of the poems which hadn't come up before. :-)
Reply 11
Original post by 1004v
No problem. :-)

Yeah, I was right and the exam turned out to be about two of the poems which hadn't come up before. :-)

Where do you find these resources :smile: could you post a link? Thanks again for helping I'm very grateful :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by AlphaNick
Type up revision notes as you're taught the content. This fundamental method is limited only by your persistence, I got 10 A*s and 1 A by doing this.

Wow ten A*s how long did you revise before the exams and for how long :smile:
Reply 13
I really want to get straight A's and A*s in my gcse's this year, please can you guys give me tips on how to achieve my goal. I was pleased with my end of year 10 results I got :

English- reading A
Writing C (messed up a bit)
Maths- B
Biology- A*
Physics-A
Chemistry-A
Religious studies- A
Textiles- A*
French- reading-C (did foundation paper so highest I could get was a C
Writing-D

I really really want all A's and A* s at the end of year 11

Any advise?

Learning to spell will help. I think you're looking for advice, not advise. Just a little thing to work on.
Reply 14
Original post by jjm456
Learning to spell will help. I think you're looking for advice, not advise. Just a little thing to work on.

If you look at my other post you will know I'm more than capable of spelling 'advice' just made a silly mistake while typing fast :smile: have a good day.
In terms of revision, what I find really useful is going over the same thing as many times as possible however using a different method each time. For example: reading the textbook then making notes then using a revision site (bbc bitesize helps a lot) then reading over your notes and making mindmaps or flashcards. By the end of it, you would have gone through the same thing loads of times and it would be difficult not to remember it.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey:smile: It depends on your learning style. But for me it was past papers, past papers and past papers. I did around 50 to 60 past papers for my maths gcse revision and ended up scoring 98% on it as I had done the same types of questions that had come up a million times before. You get SO used to it, it doesn't even seem like you have to put effort into it by the exam.

To score well tbh you don't have to be clever, you just need to know how to pick up marks, so for me just go through the revision guide for your exam board and write everything down. And once you feel you know enough, start past papers and find your strengths and weaknesses, then iron those out by trying more past papers. (this works especially for the sciences and maths) with French - learn the vocab and REALLY make sure you pay attention in lessons.

With English it's trickier, however practice makes perfect, so try to do essays over and over again in the exact style you would in the exam, and once you get to grips with that it's a lot easier trust me!:smile: It really worked for me (I got 9A*s and 1A) :smile: It's good you're thinking about this now, it's the right time to! I went from a D to an A* in bio, in two weeks doing that. (crazy last minute revision) :')

If you have any questions pm me and I can try and help:smile:
For science just learn the spec :biggrin:
Maths - do practise papers
English - look at past papers and mark schemes
Strong relationships with teachers who can give you after school classes if needed. For example, in my mocks, I got 2Bs in the 2 Englishes. However, in my actual exam, I got an A* in Literature and 1 mark off an A* in Language.
Reply 19
Original post by Heffalump .
Hey:smile: It depends on your learning style. But for me it was past papers, past papers and past papers. I did around 50 to 60 past papers for my maths gcse revision and ended up scoring 98% on it as I had done the same types of questions that had come up a million times before. You get SO used to it, it doesn't even seem like you have to put effort into it by the exam.

To score well tbh you don't have to be clever, you just need to know how to pick up marks, so for me just go through the revision guide for your exam board and write everything down. And once you feel you know enough, start past papers and find your strengths and weaknesses, then iron those out by trying more past papers. (this works especially for the sciences and maths) with French - learn the vocab and REALLY make sure you pay attention in lessons.

With English it's trickier, however practice makes perfect, so try to do essays over and over again in the exact style you would in the exam, and once you get to grips with that it's a lot easier trust me!:smile: It really worked for me (I got 9A*s and 1A) :smile: It's good you're thinking about this now, it's the right time to! I went from a D to an A* in bio, in two weeks doing that. (crazy last minute revision) :')

If you have any questions pm me and I can try and help:smile:

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it :smile: Please could you tell me where you found all these past papers because I can only find a few on the aqa past papers website , I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where you found these 50 to 60 past papers . Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest