harry_tb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi recently achieved an A in GCSE but i was a constant A* student through out Years 10 & 11. (Only lost out on an A* by 5 marks since AQA marked most of the students down by one grade on coursework in my class)

I was wondering has anyone achieved an A or A* at A level and could provide any tips/help since i want to do a language degree and achieve the best grade i can in spanish since its the one subject i care about most.
coolerthanbeans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an A* at GCSE and A at A-Level. My first and most important tip would be to practice speaking from the get go, that's definitely the most challenging part at A Level as it's not like it was at GCSE where you already have a speech prepared, it's all improvising and on the spot (I found this VERY challenging at the start!). Also, go the extra mile and read around the topics you learn in Spanish and browse Spanish news websites such as RTVE to learn new vocab and familiarise yourself with sentence structures. I also youtubed my favourite English-language songs in Spanish - I found this useful because if I knew the words in English, listening to that same song in Spanish helped me remember certain verbs as I could associate them with the original lyrics, if that makes sense

So many ways to do extra Spanish stuff in your spare time, but I'd say defo practice speaking and essay writing the most, it's SUCH a step up from GCSE! Hope that helped
harry_tb
Rep:
?
(Original post by coolerthanbeans)
I got an A* at GCSE and A at A-Level. My first and most important tip would be to practice speaking from the get go, that's definitely the most challenging part at A Level as it's not like it was at GCSE where you already have a speech prepared, it's all improvising and on the spot (I found this VERY challenging at the start!). Also, go the extra mile and read around the topics you learn in Spanish and browse Spanish news websites such as RTVE to learn new vocab and familiarise yourself with sentence structures. I also youtubed my favourite English-language songs in Spanish - I found this useful because if I knew the words in English, listening to that same song in Spanish helped me remember certain verbs as I could associate them with the original lyrics, if that makes sense

So many ways to do extra Spanish stuff in your spare time, but I'd say defo practice speaking and essay writing the most, it's SUCH a step up from GCSE! Hope that helped
Wow! That has helped so much, thank you so much
coolerthanbeans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by harry_tb)
Wow! That has helped so much, thank you so much
No prob! Just message me if you need any more help Write some extra essays in your spare time and get your teacher to mark them and go through with you your mistakes too.

I also recommend the Spanish-speaking youtuber FelipeRayTyson, he's a little hard to follow at times but he generally chats and vlogs about pop culture/family stuff and watching his videos helped me a bit with listening practice
harry_tb
Rep:
?
(Original post by coolerthanbeans)
No prob! Just message me if you need any more help Write some extra essays in your spare time and get your teacher to mark them and go through with you your mistakes too.

I also recommend the Spanish-speaking youtuber FelipeRayTyson, he's a little hard to follow at times but he generally chats and vlogs about pop culture/family stuff and watching his videos helped me a bit with listening practice
Thank You!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (4)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (2)
14.29%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (5)
35.71%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (0)
0%
No - I live at home during term anyway (3)
21.43%

Watched Threads