The Student Room Group

"Nobody is born gay"

but is anybody born straight?

they say gay folks have similar genes but it is only 40% of the reason people are gay

but as a baby you are taught everything...if you teach a child being gay is the way then it will be gay...same for being straight...we are only straight because we witness our straight parents kissing...those born to two men or two women..will be gay

Scroll to see replies

We're born straight but some people choose to be gay cos they like anal only and they don't like women.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by biggronn
we are only straight because we witness our straight parents kissing...those born to two men or two women..will be gay

But this is statistically just not true. Care to provide any evidence?

While I believe that being gay is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, I think it's deeper than just having gay parents or having straight parents.
Reply 3
I don't think anybody is born with a certain sexuality. As mentioned in the OP, depending on what the child is exposed to, this may play a huge factor on what they find sexually attractive and "normal" as they get older.
Reply 4
Original post by Super Cicero
According to an Integrated Household Survey carried out from April 2011 to March 2012 produced by the Office of National Statistics, 2.7 per cent of 16- to 24-year-olds in the UK identified themselves as Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual compared with 0.4 per cent of 65-year-olds and over.

If being gay was completely due to somebody being born gay then the percentage would obviously be the same for different generations.

Given the constant promotion of homosexuality in a wide range of media heavily consumed by children and teenagers (for example Doctor Who and the X-Men movies) and the promotion of it at schools, its not surprising that the % of people who embrace a homosexual lifestyle in the UK is increasing.

This is interesting. And I agree with the post above too ^^^ I don't believe that it's mostly due to genetics.
Reply 5
A plug is for a socket :cool:

Jking Idgaf :lol:
Your sexuality develops during puberty, so nobody is born gay or straight. Genetics does play a part, but I also think it has a lot to do with environmental factors. It would be interesting to see, down the line, if the proportion of children later identifying as gay or bisexual increases in homosexual parent families. And also while people do not choose to have certain feelings, they may choose to act on those feelings and explore and develop them further. The home environment in which you were raised could influence this.
Original post by Super Cicero

If being gay was completely due to somebody being born gay then the percentage would obviously be the same for different generations.

I disagree. I think lower percentages of over 65's identifying as gay has quite a lot to do with homophobic attitudes they were exposed to when they were younger, as homophobia was much more widespread in their time than in the time of these 16-24 year olds. Someone who is taught homosexuality is wrong, or is raised around homophobic attitudes is obviously less likely to identify as gay than someone who is raised around tolerance of homosexuals. Homosexuality is quite obviously not a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Dandaman1
Your sexuality develops during puberty, so nobody is born gay or straight. Genetics does play a part, but I also think it has a lot to do with environmental factors. It would be interesting to see, down the line, if the proportion of children later identifying as gay or bisexual increases in homosexual parent families. And also while people do not choose to have certain feelings, they may choose to act on those feelings and explore and develop them further. The home environment in which you were raised could influence this.

some people masturbate over women at 7 years old...
Original post by EscapeArtistsNeverDie
I disagree. I think lower percentages of over 65's identifying as gay has quite a lot to do with homophobic attitudes they were exposed to when they were younger, as homophobia was much more widespread in their time than in the time of these 16-24 year olds. Someone who is taught homosexuality is wrong, or is raised around homophobic attitudes is obviously less likely to identify as gay than someone who is raised around tolerance of homosexuals. Homosexuality is quite obviously not a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

+1
Reply 10
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
But this is statistically just not true. Care to provide any evidence?

While I believe that being gay is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, I think it's deeper than just having gay parents or having straight parents.

i mean gay parents is obviously one factor...being exposed to gay tv shows like one poster said is also a factor
Reply 11
Original post by Ndella
I don't think anybody is born with a certain sexuality. As mentioned in the OP, depending on what the child is exposed to, this may play a huge factor on what they find sexually attractive and "normal" as they get older.

Spot on.
but as a baby you are taught everything...if you teach a child being gay is the way then it will be gay...same for being straight...we are only straight because we witness our straight parents kissing...those born to two men or two women..will be gay

My parents are straight and I was not exposed to any gay or bisexual media when I was young..... yet I am bisexual? How does that work by your logic?
Reply 13
Original post by SHallowvale
My parents are straight and I was not exposed to any gay or bisexual media when I was young..... yet I am bisexual? How does that work by your logic?

i dont even know you...or your mentality or anything about you..how am i supposed to know?
i dont even know you...or your mentality or anything about you..how am i supposed to know?

Because you're claiming that you do know? You said: ''We are only straight because we witness our straight parents kissing''.

I witnessed my parents kissing and I am not straight, but according to you I should be straight. Am I some kind of exception or is your logic wrong?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Because you're claiming that you do know? You said: ''We are only straight because we witness our straight parents kissing''.

I witnessed my parents kissing and I am not straight, but according to you I should be straight. Am I some kind of exception or is your logic wrong?

my later posts and another poster said..the parent thing is one big factor and not the only

use your brain properly...
my later posts and another poster said..the parent thing is one big factor and not the only

use your brain properly...

Sorry, I didn't see that.
Reply 17
Sorry, I didn't see that.

np
some people masturbate over women at 7 years old...

... and some of them are girls.

Original post by The vampire
We're born straight but some people choose to be gay cos they like anal only and they don't like women.

While I'm pretty sure you're joking, there's no element of choice. If there was, why would some gay kids be born in intolerant muslim families who would disown or (dis)honour kill them?
Reply 19
Original post by Skip_Snip
... and some of them are girls

those have different upbringings...experiences..mentalities and need to be investigated individually

Quick Reply

Latest