The Student Room Group

Pepper your angus ISIS, we're coming to get you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
:lol: Sure dear, whatever you say.

That isn't much of a surprise to be honest. I doubt that would make much of a difference.

Hiding from the enemy in various terrains (and in plain sight) isn't exactly the same as hiding from this boy you really fancy when you're down the shops with your mates. Men are perfectly capable at that.

Education levels aren't necessarily relevant. Some of the greatest special forces operators our country (The UK) has had have been from working class backgrounds. Despite this they have had common sense and a natural gift at fitness, soldiering, and leadership. So your education argument is rubbish.
And as for the opponents fighting women, unless the women were really well trained it wouldn't make much of a difference. In fact they would have an advantage.

Err so are men believe it or not.

Thanks for being respectful. :redface:

I'm not saying men are incapable at fighting at all. But at least let women have a go at fighting, there is always the possibility that you could be proven wrong. If we fail and die, then yes, women shouldn't be allowed in combat. But it hasn't been trialled at all so we shall never really know.

The way warfare is going nowadays, it is becoming ever more acceptable for women to have a direct role in combat.
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Well firstly I do agree with the idea that men tend to do better in collective fighting than women, like World Wars. Men have more strength potential and have faster reactions. But terrorists play a different game that requires a different fighting tactic.

First of all there is the element of surprise. Not many people would expect a woman to be fighting them. The confusion of this might suddenly slow their reactions, or tug at their morals (if they have any). So I would immediately have the edge over my enemy in the short term.

A lot of conflict with terrorists takes place in built-up areas, women tend to perform better than men at situational thinking. Our size also helps us move around faster and helps to hide.

Women also have better communication skills and do not tend to have risk-taking behaviour like men do. While taking risks is important in life, in a scenario where your life is endangered, it isn't always appropriate.

Nowadays, women are more educated than most men. More of us go to university giving us decision-making skills and co-operative social skills. Also, training in a male-led environment would encourage us to think outside of the box. We have been trained to fight men, but our opponents haven't been trained to fight women.

Admittedly it's just an opinion, but I think women could do a lot to fight terrorism, especially since a lot of them are willing to do what it takes.

Wat
Original post by AstroNandos
Wat

No, the correct spelling is 'what?'. Not wat.

Unless you're trying to speak Thai. If so, you're merely saying 'temple'.
Original post by Okorange
It won't happen though, seeing a man die and seeing a woman die are two different things. Call it sexist and I would but its definitely true. No country would send their women in harms way unless they are desperate.

Other thing is that in real life people have no qualms about shooting the enemy man or woman. Most of the time you don't even see the face of the person you are targeting because people die mostly from explosives rather than bullets and even bullets are often sprayed from a distance rather than aiming and or fast reflexes.

I think the IDF is a good example of army that will send women to war. Over 90% of all roles are being filled by women, and it's set to rise. And no, the roles aren't just medical or for transportation, quite a few of them are active combat roles.

Futhermore:
"Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Romania, Spain, and Sweden all permit women in all combat units" - BBC

Doesn't that mean though that gender is regardless? If you say we are fighting at a distance, and women tend to be better shooters, isn't it a good idea to have them fight (if they want to of course)?
(edited 9 years ago)
I would love this story to be true... but the mirror is just as bad as the daily mail.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, the correct spelling is 'what?'. Not wat.

Unless you're trying to speak Thai. If so, you're merely saying 'temple'.

Okay, ignore what I said. Instead, I say:

Reply 46
Original post by bertstare
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/sas-special-forces-forming-hunter-4097083

SAS and US Navy SEAL/Delta Force forming a special "hunter killer unit" to go deliver some express freedom to ISIS leaders

May their 72 virgins await them

Finally. I hope part of the briefing was "Aim for the head, you get 150 points if you do"
Okay, ignore what I said. Instead, I say:

I don't like cats.
I don't like cats.

That's your problem.
I was considering doing that, but they don't allow women. Shame since I think women would be much better at fighting terrorists than men.

By seduction or fighting naked?

Trust me, they wont bat an eye

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the IDF is a good example of army that will send women to war. Over 90% of all roles are being filled by women, and it's set to rise.

Another army that allows women (and specifically in combat roles) is the Kurdish peshmerga.

There's something gratifying about the fact that the most regressive fascist group in the world (the Islamic State) is having its butt kicked by an army that has many women fighters.

I think the IDF is a good example of army that will send women to war. Over 90% of all roles are being filled by women, and it's set to rise. And no, the roles aren't just medical or for transportation, quite a few of them are active combat roles.

Futhermore:
"Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Romania, Spain, and Sweden all permit women in all combat units" - BBC

Doesn't that mean though that gender is regardless? If you say we are fighting at a distance, and women tend to be better shooters, isn't it a good idea to have them fight (if they want to of course)?

Sure I guess, i'm not against women fighting, but the countries you listed with the exception of israel don't really send their troops to war often anyways.

Ok sorry about the long post coming up I will try and respond to as many of your points as I can.

Women are involved in Special Forces/Intelligence roles the Special Recconisance Regiment has quite a few women attached to it and they play undercover roles behind enemy lines, there isn't a hope in hell any female could pass full Special Forces Selection but they certainly can and do play a role with the likes of the SRR, Joint Intelligence Group, 299 Signal Regiment, Royal Artillery's Forward Observation Officers perhaps a few more. They are a great asset to have in our armed forces as you say it's 'thinking outside the box' but these are the select few hardly any women are even upto that standard and the role they do play is a very narrow one.

In terms of the actual fighting there is not a hope in hell women would be able to cope with the demands of selection or life in the SAS, SBS, Full SRR Selection, Special Forces Communicators heck women can't even pass P Company or the All Arms Commando Course never mind SF. The tests aren't as you put 'made by men, for men' the training and selection focuses on the skills that SF operators need to be able to survive it's not some male macho thing all the things they do and teach serve a purpose.

There are many women in the army and 99% of them are miles behind the men in terms of fitness, I can think of 1 or 2 female soldiers who are equal (but still nowhere near SF fitness) and every single one of them struggles massively with tabbing (marching with weight) their body's just can't seem to handle it and tabbing with enormous weight is vital to the role of an SF operator it's not a case of 'making the equipment lighter' it doesn't work like that if they could they would, the SF operators don't lug around this really heavy kit to show how macho they are if they could get lighter kit that's just as good they would but it doesn't exist. Sure women can be extremely fit in certian aspects women Olympic distance runners could outrun most male SF blokes in a race but to be in SF your fitness needs to cover a broad range you need to be able to run distances, to Tab huge distances (hundreds of miles) carrying Bergens that could weigh 100+ Kilos, have the ability to move extremely fast over short distances SF guys are as agile and fast as you get trying to find women with all of the physical aspect needed is searching for a needle in a haystack.

As for the stuff you said about women being better decision makers, better shots etc... None of this is proven both men and women have strengths and weaknesses but in terms of mental abilities men and women are pretty much equal you can't say women are better mentally because there is no real proof one or two articles by some random scientist proves nothing, mentallity just isn't an issue. And you said women are 'better decision makers and they don't take risks' well if you had any idea about SF then you would know it's all about taking risks and hopefully the training/experience they have got gets them through it, after all the SAS's motto is "Who Dares Wins".

Being 'educated' means nothing, the SF world don't follow the traditional ranks like the Field Army: if you have a staff sergeant who has been in the SAS for years he could end up being in charge of a Lieutenant or a Captain on a mission. All they require is that you have intelligence and common sense and you don't need to be educated to have those things.

It's a FACT that women just aren't a match physically, in a fight it doesn't matter if she is extremely well trained against somebody else who is well trained she will loose technique only gets you so far and in real life fights and the type of hand to hand combat you see on the front lines those techniques you learnt from some
Martial art means nothing in the heat of battle it's all about speed, power & aggression.

You say you want to join the army, and you spoke of being well educated so I assume that means you have a degree and would want to join as an officer go ahead if you want to give it a try then no ones stopping you. but no disrespect you are a civvi you know nothing about army life even being a normal soldier is tough, it's not an easy thing. So if I were you I would just concentrate on passing out of Sandhurst before you set your sights on Special Forces remember only the Elite are good enough for SF no matter how much effort you put in the fact remains the vast majority of people both male and female just aren't upto standard and there's no shame in that if you go to Sandhurst (or even the recruiting office) and start making noises about Special Forces they will tear you a new one if your male or female this isn't a PlayStation game.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shabalala
Ok sorry about the long post coming up I will try and respond to as many of your points as I can.

Women are involved in Special Forces/Intelligence roles the Special Recconisance Regiment has quite a few women attached to it and they play undercover roles behind enemy lines, there isn't a hope in hell any female could pass full Special Forces Selection but they certainly can and do play a role with the likes of the SRR, Joint Intelligence Group, 299 Signal Regiment, Royal Artillery's Forward Observation Officers perhaps a few more. They are a great asset to have in our armed forces as you say it's 'thinking outside the box' but these are the select few hardly any women are even upto that standard and the role they do play is a very narrow one.

In terms of the actual fighting there is not a hope in hell women would be able to cope with the demands of selection or life in the SAS, SBS, Full SRR Selection, Special Forces Communicators heck women can't even pass P Company or the All Arms Commando Course never mind SF. The tests aren't as you put 'made by men, for men' the training and selection focuses on the skills that SF operators need to be able to survive it's not some male macho thing all the things they do and teach serve a purpose.

There are many women in the army and 99% of them are miles behind the men in terms of fitness, I can think of 1 or 2 female soldiers who are equal (but still nowhere near SF fitness) and every single one of them struggles massively with tabbing (marching with weight) their body's just can't seem to handle it and tabbing with enormous weight is vital to the role of an SF operator it's not a case of 'making the equipment lighter' it doesn't work like that if they could they would, the SF operators don't lug around this really heavy kit to show how macho they are if they could get lighter kit that's just as good they would but it doesn't exist. Sure women can be extremely fit in certian aspects women Olympic distance runners could outrun most male SF blokes in a race but to be in SF your fitness needs to cover a broad range you need to be able to run distances, to Tab huge distances (hundreds of miles) carrying Bergens that could weigh 100+ Kilos, have the ability to move extremely fast over short distances SF guys are as agile and fast as you get trying to find women with all of the physical aspect needed is searching for a needle in a haystack.

As for the stuff you said about women being better decision makers, better shots etc... None of this is proven both men and women have strengths and weaknesses but in terms of mental abilities men and women are pretty much equal you can't say women are better mentally because there is no real proof one or two articles by some random scientist proves nothing, mentallity just isn't an issue. And you said women are 'better decision makers and they don't take risks' well if you had any idea about SF then you would know it's all about taking risks and hopefully the training/experience they have got gets them through it, after all the SAS's motto is "Who Dares Wins".

Being 'educated' means nothing, the SF world don't follow the traditional ranks like the Field Army: if you have a staff sergeant who has been in the SAS for years he could end up being in charge of a Lieutenant or a Captain on a mission. All they require is that you have intelligence and common sense and you don't need to be educated to have those things.

It's a FACT that women just aren't a match physically, in a fight it doesn't matter if she is extremely well trained against somebody else who is well trained she will loose technique only gets you so far and in real life fights and the type of hand to hand combat you see on the front lines those techniques you learnt from some
Martial art means nothing in the heat of battle it's all about speed, power & aggression.

You say you want to join the army, and you spoke of being well educated so I assume that means you have a degree and would want to join as an officer go ahead if you want to give it a try then no ones stopping you. but no disrespect you are a civvi you know nothing about army life even being a normal soldier is tough, it's not an easy thing. So if I were you I would just concentrate on passing out of Sandhurst before you set your sights on Special Forces remember only the Elite are good enough for SF no matter how much effort you put in the fact remains the vast majority of people both male and female just aren't upto standard and there's no shame in that if you go to Sandhurst (or even the recruiting office) and start making noises about Special Forces they will tear you a new one if your male or female this isn't a PlayStation game.

I didn't say I wanted to be part of the special forces.
Reply 55
what makes someone an effective killer is their mindstate when u're in these situations and not only the adrenaline but when the fear and comprehension of what is going on around you and what you need to do sinks in you think completely differently to normally.
a chess player is probably going to be a very illogical thinker and someone with fast reactions will probably react very slowly.

male and females brains generally work differently and have very different sorts of intelligence, like studies that show very different brain activity between males and females.
not to say that there are not some females who are faster at logical and creative thinking and problem solving than most men, some men have a very female brain and some women have a very male brain, but the genders are very different.

women are generally far more emotionally and socially intelligent and far more sensitive. women generally do not perform well in combat and there is no way to know how a individual is going to react to a situation until u put that person in a situation, that is one of the main reasons that it is seen as dangerous using women in frontline units.
it is not so much about male camaraderie and all those typical excuses that are used, but minimizing risk as modern warfare is all about minimizing casualties to your troops.
however that isn't a problem in things such as being a pilot etc where they are very disconnected from the killing and fighting.

but it still is a problem where killing people has a serious effect on your mindstate for the rest of your life, yes it is very fun and exciting going on adventures as a well trained unit but that is not what it is about, you can get similar experiences in other walks life.

it is about being a ruthless and remorseless stone cold killer, it can destroy you as a person and even destroy your life. i would never wish this on anyone let alone groups of people who have higher likelihood of being seroiusly effected by it such as women.
you don't know how you will feel about playing kill or be killed against people who are trained or ready to die until you are in that situation.
nature has already fine tuned many men for this.

but i do love the idea of elite units of girls with guns i think that is one of the coolest things i can imagine.

to be honest the people who are the greatest soldiers are the people who would think nothing of murdering and raping a small child, the best are cold calculating killers without any conscience and if you feel anyway for any humans or any animals then i would not recommend being in a frontline unit.
psychopaths and sadomasochists make excellent frontline fighters they don't hesitate, they don't care and they love killing anything
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
once u kill a people u usually feel like a different person urself, like that cliche saying of when u kill a part of yourself you don't see the world the same way anymore or experience the same feelings anymore.
it does not make a difference what the people were like who you killed whether they were murderers or not or what affiliation they had.

you know those warm fuzzy feelings you get when you are a chlid maybe at christmas for example or first being in love and those memories of those feelings that give u that nostalgic feeling?
for alot of people you can't even get the nostalgic feeling anymore from the memories let alone experiencing anything like it again.

or how some people say they feel like it changed them when they had sex for the first time or great sex for the first time? or how as you start to get abit older it isn't so much the physical energy but the mental energy and ambition and excitement for life just wanes away.

it is that but on a much bigger scale life loses its charm and mystery and u do not just understand it for what it is but you fully comprehend all that life is and cannot experience relationships with people the same way anymore you might not see them much different to how you see a computer which just operates you might not even feel like a real person anymore but more of a tool and worst of all the only thing that may make you feel alive anymore is killing more living things.

this is similar to how actual psychopaths and certain people are born with a certain brain function and chemistry and why they are as they are and why they fit straight into these jobs.

and then if you are a sensitive person there is the chance of developing real mental trauma and the symptoms are no exaggeration, you can eventually go to sleep some nights and wake up 2 hours later with the worst nightmares and have soaked the bed through with ur piss and sweat, someone may have been a very sensitive and caring person but no longer feel anyway about hitting their wife or children, some people will actually have mild hallucinations whether it is seeing or hearing things which are not there or mostly just imagining something is happening in an enviroment which you are in, actually believing it is happening.
you can be in your house and actually fully believe there are men in there about to kill you as if you just witnessed them come into your house with weapons with your own eyes and you know that they will kill you no matter what or even in public places

learning some kung fu or practicing chess is not going to make someone appropriate for being a professional murderer
(edited 9 years ago)
I would very much like to watch a video of these guys storming into whichever place ISIS next occupies and blowing off a series of Islamist heads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending