I took English Lit, English Lang and Sociology A levels, ask me anything

Watch
Wonderer1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hiya, I'm heading to university in September and figured I'd post this in case anyone has questions about starting A levels- whether doing A2 or AS in September this year or even questions about how I decided which uni I wanted to go to and/or writing personal statements.

I will answer the best that I can.
fiion
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Wonderer, I recently just tried taking a literature module but I do not have any experience in lit Are there any tricks to scoring well in lit? I can't seem to get the hang of it, especially metre in poems. Thanks!
Fluffystar123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wonderer1)
Hiya, I'm heading to university in September and figured I'd post this in case anyone has questions about starting A levels- whether doing A2 or AS in September this year or even questions about how I decided which uni I wanted to go to and/or writing personal statements.

Hi!

I just wanted to ask how was eng lit at AS level and which board did you do cause I am doing AQA
Also what are u plannig to do at Uni and do you have any tips for starting A level as i'm starting in september

Thanks in advance
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

what exam board did you use for sociology and is sociology hard from your own perspective?
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
(Original post by fiion)
Hi Wonderer, I recently just tried taking a literature module but I do not have any experience in lit Are there any tricks to scoring well in lit? I can't seem to get the hang of it, especially metre in poems. Thanks!
I'm not going to lie, for me, English Literature was quite hard. I was with the exam board AQA. For the first exam, it is split into two parts, you learn poems from two poets and learn two novels. I had Keats and Tennyson and for the novels The Great Gatsby and Enduring Love. For the first part you talk about either one of the four and in the second part you talk about the other three. I advise you write about a poem in the first part as the second part is worth more points and talking about novels are genuinely easier.

To be honest, identifying metres of poems is not essential to passing, knowing why the poet may have used certain characterisations, Perspectives and structuring of stanzas is key. Know Language, Structure and form (eg. if the poem is a narrative or a ballad). These key factors are definitely needed to know in order to pass and you need to know these three for both the novels and the poems but your teacher will go over this with you.

A really good website is 'getrevising' it really helped me. Hope this helped.
Fluffystar123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not going to lie, for me, English Literature was quite hard. I was with the exam board AQA. For the first exam, it is split into two parts, you learn poems from two poets and learn two novels. I had Keats and Tennyson and for the novels The Great Gatsby and Enduring Love. For the first part you talk about either one of the four and in the second part you talk about the other three. I advise you write about a poem in the first part as the second part is worth more points and talking about novels are genuinely easier.

To be honest, identifying metres of poems is not essential to passing, knowing why the poet may have used certain characterisations, Perspectives and structuring of stanzas is key. Know Language, Structure and form (eg. if the poem is a narrative or a ballad). These key factors are definitely needed to know in order to pass and you need to know these three for both the novels and the poems but your teacher will go over this with you.

Do you recommend any good books for the poetry revision?
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fluffystar123)
Hi!

I just wanted to ask how was eng lit at AS level and which board did you do cause I am doing AQA
Also what are u plannig to do at Uni and do you have any tips for starting A level as i'm starting in september

Thanks in advance
Hiya! I literally just posted about AS English Lit to the first person so check it out on this thread. The good thing I found with English lit was that the exams in AS compared to A2 isn't that much different, the only thing it is a closed book exam for A2 so you'll have to learn quotes. Like I said in the previous post, learning the Form, Structure and Language of your poems and novels are key to getting good grades and making sure your answers are coherent and you don't repeat yourself.

I'm planning on doing Criminology and Sociology at university. Advice I would give is that when it comes to exam times, revision cards are a blessing! Also for English lit I really recommend that you plan out how you are going to construct your answer in the exam. It is two hours if I remember and you should spend at least five minutes planning.
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
(Original post by German123)
what exam board did you use for sociology and is sociology hard from your own perspective?
My exam board was OCR. I took sociology at GCSE and A levels and now university. In my opinion sociology is not hard but there is A LOT of terminology to know along with different sociology perspectives. The main ones being Functionalist, Marxists and Postmodernists and you'll learn more.
Sociology is my favourite subject and I do recommend it, it is so diverse and interesting and shows you different perspectives on the world involving the family, media, crime and deviance and more. There isn't a huge leap between AS and A2 but like I said there is just a lot of theorists and key concepts to remember, however, once you know them it's simple.
Fluffystar123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya! I literally just posted about AS English Lit to the first person so check it out on this thread. The good thing I found with English lit was that the exams in AS compared to A2 isn't that much different, the only thing it is a closed book exam for A2 so you'll have to learn quotes. Like I said in the previous post, learning the Form, Structure and Language of your poems and novels are key to getting good grades and making sure your answers are coherent and you don't repeat yourself.

I'm planning on doing Criminology and Sociology at university. Advice I would give is that when it comes to exam times, revision cards are a blessing! Also for English lit I really recommend that you plan out how you are going to construct your answer in the exam. It is two hours if I remember and you should spend at least five minutes planning.
Thanks so much, your posts were really helpful

I only got an A in GCSE for Eng lit (AQA) and i also got a B in the modern text unit . It was unexpected as i was getting A*'s in mocks. Do you think ill still be able to cope with AS eng lit?
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
Do you recommend any good books for the poetry revision?
I didn't really have books for poetry but the 'Get Revising' website was a Godsend for me when it came to revising. However, if you haven't been giving them, get the anthology or print outs of the poems you're revising and annotate them, this is a really useful way in helping to remember key things about them as you'll be getting a blank version in your exam and you'll remember/ visualise all your notes that you wrote on them.
Fluffystar123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't really have books for poetry but the 'Get Revising' website was a Godsend for me when it came to revising. However, if you haven't been giving them, get the anthology or print outs of the poems you're revising and annotate them, this is a really useful way in helping to remember key things about them as you'll be getting a blank version in your exam and you'll remember/ visualise all your notes that you wrote on them.
Thanks you so much!
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
Thanks so much, your posts were really helpful

I only got an A in GCSE for Eng lit (AQA) and i also got a B in the modern text unit . It was unexpected as i was getting A*'s in mocks. Do you think ill still be able to cope with AS eng lit?
I got an A in GCSE too, that's good! GCSE English Lit is definitely different to English Lit A levels. It is down to you how well you do as some people ended up dropping out of English Lit because they found it to be too much. It is not a light weight A level to take per say. However, depending on what books your teacher decides to teach you for the exam also may have an effect on how you do. I had the Great Gatsby and Enduring Love and everyone in class hated Enduring love and so didn't focus hard on it, whilst some others did.

You really have to be persistent and dedicated when it comes to English Lit especially if you carry onto A2 because that will be when you have to learn a new set of books AND remember quotes for it. It all depends on you to be honest. Some people found English Lit easy but for me it was quite hard and consuming of my revision time compared to my other subjects.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My exam board was OCR. I took sociology at GCSE and A levels and now university. In my opinion sociology is not hard but there is A LOT of terminology to know along with different sociology perspectives. The main ones being Functionalist, Marxists and Postmodernists and you'll learn more.
Sociology is my favourite subject and I do recommend it, it is so diverse and interesting and shows you different perspectives on the world involving the family, media, crime and deviance and more. There isn't a huge leap between AS and A2 but like I said there is just a lot of theorists and key concepts to remember, however, once you know them it's simple.
cool
fiion
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips! Will try to apply them the next time.

Anyways, do you have any experience in the use of ghost metre in poems? My lecturer is focusing on local poems at the moment..
Fluffystar123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an A in GCSE too, that's good! GCSE English Lit is definitely different to English Lit A levels. It is down to you how well you do as some people ended up dropping out of English Lit because they found it to be too much. It is not a light weight A level to take per say. However, depending on what books your teacher decides to teach you for the exam also may have an effect on how you do. I had the Great Gatsby and Enduring Love and everyone in class hated Enduring love and so didn't focus hard on it, whilst some others did.

You really have to be persistent and dedicated when it comes to English Lit especially if you carry onto A2 because that will be when you have to learn a new set of books AND remember quotes for it. It all depends on you to be honest. Some people found English Lit easy but for me it was quite hard and consuming of my revision time compared to my other subjects.
Yeah i guess there is a really big difference between GCSE and A levels.
Sorry one more thing, did you have to do alot of wider reading for eng lit, cause personally im quite a slow reader an i dont really read alot. Ive heard that you need to read alot to be able to cope at A level Eng lit. do you think im at a slight disadvantage? Just curious

And if you dont mind me asking what did you get for Eng Lit at AS Level (sorry for being nosy) haha

Thank you so much once again
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
Yeah i guess there is a really big difference between GCSE and A levels.
Sorry one more thing, did you have to do alot of wider reading for eng lit, cause personally im quite a slow reader an i dont really read alot. Ive heard that you need to read alot to be able to cope at A level Eng lit. do you think im at a slight disadvantage? Just curious

And if you dont mind me asking what did you get for Eng Lit at AS Level (sorry for being nosy) haha

Thank you so much once again
You don't necessarily need to do any wider reading just really know the books you will be writing about in the exam. I suppose having a few good novels under your belt will be useful when it comes to one part of your coursework as you will have to chose two novels to compare and write an essay about.

At AS I got a C and retook and got a B. I mucked up the first time because I was looking at the wrong time and thought I only had fifteen minutes left when I actually had an hour so I rushed it terribly.
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
(Original post by fiion)
Thanks for the tips! Will try to apply them the next time.

Anyways, do you have any experience in the use of ghost metre in poems? My lecturer is focusing on local poems at the moment..
No problem and no sorry I don't.
Bunny2014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hello, Im going back in Sept to do my A2 english, I was wondering what books did you do for the A2 coursework??

I am doing enduring love which I'm trying to make it into a psychiatric report but i need a lot of help in doing

Any ideas???

Thanks
Wonderer1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bunny2014)
Hello, Im going back in Sept to do my A2 english, I was wondering what books did you do for the A2 coursework??

I am doing enduring love which I'm trying to make it into a psychiatric report but i need a lot of help in doing

Any ideas???

Thanks
Sorry, I didn't use any books. I used the website 'Get revising' it had everything I needed on there. It was all completely free for me but I think now for new people signing up you have to pay but it is definitely worth it.

You can try looking on amazon to try find some cheap book and make sure to look at the reviews. I know York notes is good for English Lit but I'm not sure if they had one for Enduring Love but you can check.
Bunny2014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry, I didn't use any books. I used the website 'Get revising' it had everything I needed on there. It was all completely free for me but I think now for new people signing up you have to pay but it is definitely worth it.

You can try looking on amazon to try find some cheap book and make sure to look at the reviews. I know York notes is good for English Lit but I'm not sure if they had one for Enduring Love but you can check.

Hi again,

Thanks

What did you do for your coursework??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (139)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (288)
29.84%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (471)
48.81%

Watched Threads